Made in Sheffield

Scully

Not made in Sheffield obviously, but a close up of a long ongoing acrylic of a gun slip. It’s nowhere near finished as other ongoing priorities push it aside often. 
It’s a large piece ( painted actual size from life ) and had an idea of the slip and other bits and pieces as a central display piece for a show next year…..if I get it finished in time! 🤷‍♂️
image.jpeg.ad1c4d9f661438e4e40ac30bc2b2be96.jpeg

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Thanks Mel, very much. It’s a loooong way off finished and I may have created a bit of a monster really; very labour intensive and BIG! 😀

I keep enlarging it on my phone , and just keep looking at the detail in the buckle and strap , and the stitching on the top flap . 

This might be a really daft question,  but, as the artist,  that has spent so much time looking at the painting . Can you appreciate just how good it is ?.

15 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I keep enlarging it on my phone , and just keep looking at the detail in the buckle and strap , and the stitching on the top flap . 

This might be a really daft question,  but, as the artist,  that has spent so much time looking at the painting . Can you appreciate just how good it is ?.

Thanks Mel! I tried that and to be honest it’s slightly out of focus when you zoom in, but the lighting in this house isn’t great for photography and I couldn’t be bothered to drag it outside! 
That’s a good question. Basically I just get to a point where I’m happy with the result, and stop there, but there are paintings that haven’t sold for whatever reason, which I’ve stashed away for ages and then on seeing them again have thought ‘that’s really a very good painting….why hasn’t it sold?’ There are others I haven’t even bothered to frame as I wasn’t completely happy with, but someone will see it online and want to buy it! 
It’s a weird old game and one I never tire of.
I did a small series of paintings of High Cup Nick, the best ( I thought ) of which which didn’t sell, so I used the frame for something else, then a few years later a local gallery asked for submissions of paintings of the local tourist attraction so I ratched it out, had it reframed and it sold and won a prize! 🤷‍♂️ It’s all very subjective. 

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

Thanks Mel! I tried that and to be honest it’s slightly out of focus when you zoom in, but the lighting in this house isn’t great for photography and I couldn’t be bothered to drag it outside! 
That’s a good question. Basically I just get to a point where I’m happy with the result, and stop there, but there are paintings that haven’t sold for whatever reason, which I’ve stashed away for ages and then on seeing them again have thought ‘that’s really a very good painting….why hasn’t it sold?’ There are others I haven’t even bothered to frame as I wasn’t completely happy with, but someone will see it online and want to buy it! 
I did a small series of paintings of High Cup Nick, the best ( I thought ) of which which didn’t sell, so I used the frame for something else, then a few years later a local gallery asked for submissions of paintings of the local tourist attraction so I ratched it out, had it reframed and it sold and won a prize! 🤷‍♂️ It’s all very subjective. 

Art is certainly a funny thing . I never thought that I could find an old leather gunslip quite so interesting. 

On 05/06/2022 at 13:36, Scully said:

It would be great if you could post more of your amazing work. I’m sure many on here would be pleased to them.

You are a very talented guy, sir.

OB

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Thanks OB. Here’s another just finished. 
image.jpeg.96a3fdb8f919ffab1bd4a348f068c773.jpeg

Wow, that is stunning.

It`s amazing that you get the material of the subjects looking perfectly natural as though you could pick them up out of the picture.

Absolutely outstanding.

Many thanks for posting.

OB

11 hours ago, wisdom said:

Scully your paintings are the best I have ever seen.

My eyes really do deceive me when I look at any of them.I feel I could pick them up.Unbelivable talent.

Praise indeed! Thankyou very much. 
They are quite painterly when seen close up however, which is how I like to present them. I’m not a great fan of photo-realism ( when you can’t tell whether it’s a painting or photo, even from close up ) but quite like hyper-realism for some odd reason. 
The real skill in my opinion lies in Trompe L’oie. Give it a Google. 
Thanks again. 

19 minutes ago, holloway said:

It is a real wonder to me how anyone can achieve results like that, made in Sheffield and the Gunship really impressive there is no substitute for ability and talent.(probably hard work as well.)

Thankyou very much. I’ve been at it a long time! 🙂