The Game Fair @ Ragley Hall 2022

steve_b_wales

39 minutes ago, mellors said:

Nope waste of time and travel. 

Have fun. 

A matter of opinion of course. I went last year and did enjoy it, as did my mates who came with me. No, there weren't any 'bargains' to be had, and we took our own food/drink. It was good though to meet up with fellow 'shooters' and also to see the lovely expensive shotguns and rifles on display that one day, I may be able to afford. As mentioned, entry is free and four of us sharing the fuel cost, works out very little each for an enjoyable day out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have regularly attended the Game Fair for 20+ years, seen the ups and downs and the closures.

Last year was disappointing and much smaller than normal,  I have my free BASC ticket this year and Im still not likely to go, shame, I always looked forward to it.

54 minutes ago, Dekers said:

I have regularly attended the Game Fair for 20+ years, seen the ups and downs and the closures.

Last year was disappointing and much smaller than normal,  I have my free BASC ticket this year and Im still not likely to go, shame, I always looked forward to it.

I agree. 
I have been to the majority of game fairs since 1965 and I, too, was disappointed with last years. I left saying that I would give this year’s a miss, but may still go if the weather is good and I’m bored.

• 4 weeks later...

No waste of time and money. After last years pathetic effort it's certainly not worth travelling far to go to. Its mostly shops and nothing there you can't buy on line I'm afraid. Shame as these shows used to be so good. The best stands pulled out as they were charging too much. Sorry its a big no. 

Some people seemingly have short memories!

Last year was it touch and go whether the powers that rule over us would even allow large gatherings at all & everyone hedged their bets, following the enforced shutting down of the economy for the best part of 2 years.

Yes it wasn’t great but still got to meet a few people. Will go this year.

The lack of bargoons is a double edged sword I find, stops me from spending money!

22 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Some people seemingly have short memories!

Last year was it touch and go whether the powers that rule over us would even allow large gatherings at all & everyone hedged their bets, following the enforced shutting down of the economy for the best part of 2 years.

Yes it wasn’t great but still got to meet a few people. Will go this year.

The lack of bargoons is a double edged sword I find, stops me from spending money!

I agree. I went last year and enjoyed the look around. Good to get from the daily rat race of work-home-work. There are too many stalls there that sell non related shooting/fishing stuff, but I still enjoy looking at other stalls. I quite enjoy Gunmakers Row, and some of the stalls that actually do sell the stuff I like. My entrance ticket is free via BASC and fuel will cost me around £40, but I'm happy to pay that. I'll be there on the Saturday.

Well, I decided against it this year, despite having my Free BASC tickets, so have several of my pals.

Just the same I hope it does well, I really do want it to get back to the great show it was in years gone bye, and really look forward to it coming round every year!

2 hours ago, Dekers said:

Well, I decided against it this year, despite having my Free BASC tickets

Me as well.  It is quite close to me, but I haven't much enjoyed the last few I have been to.  The problems these days are that the 'buying' world has changed; you can buy 'on line' cheaply enough and a huge choice.  The days of surfing the stands at the fair to fine a nice jacket/hat/breeks/wellies etc. at a bargain price have pretty much gone.  If you do buy anything, it is a long walk back to the car, or carry it all day.  It is nice to look at the guns on show, watch the casting demonstrations and even look at and admire the (largely unaffordable) high end stuff.  The last few fairs I have attended have been largely to meet friends there and I have bought nothing, but it is now a long hot dusty (or muddy) day.  If it is hot, its a long old day and shady seating isn't always easy to find - and the fishing representation (which I enjoyed) had largely disappeared.

Being close to home, my friends are dropping in here for a tea on the way home, so I shall see them and save a long day walking round.  the best of both worlds.

I went to the fair at Ragley yesterday and have to say I thought it a great improvement on last years effort. This was only to be expected with the on/off arrangements before last year’s show. Yesterday was VERY busy and gunmaker’s row was, I thought, very good. There was a small fishing section, quite a lot of forestry/estate management equipment for sale, a fair few vehicle stands and quite a lot of country house/garden furniture. Also a fair bit of horsey stuff.  I thought, overall, a good effort.

Took bacon butties and a flask of juice. Came away buying nothing, but there is nothing I need, I had gone for a day out.

Edited by London Best

23 hours ago, London Best said:

I went to the fair at Ragley yesterday and have to say I thought it a great improvement on last years effort. This was only to be expected with the on/off arrangements before last year’s show. Yesterday was VERY busy and gunmaker’s row was, I thought, very good. There was a small fishing section, quite a lot of forestry/estate management equipment for sale, a fair few vehicle stands and quite a lot of country house/garden furniture. Also a fair bit of horsey stuff.  I thought, overall, a good effort.

Took bacon butties and a flask of juice. Came away buying nothing, but there is nothing I need, I had gone for a day out.

Same here. I've just got back. Busier and more stalls etc than last year. Not 'proper' bargains to be had. I didn't need anything though, apart from reloading items (powder, primers, bullets) but couldn't find anyone selling them. I did enjoy the day out though.

Edited by steve_b_wales