BT to EE

Scully

Anyone done it? Here is my experience.

OH and me, during the course of her upgrading her phone, were told by a EE rep’ that we could get cheaper broadband by changing our provider to EE, now part of BT. I was a tad reluctant owing to the fight we had to get BT…..great service, just a nightmare to actually get. 
Anyhow, she seduced by a reduced bill, I reluctantly gave into OH’s big brown eyes but voiced my concern when the rep’ stated the change over would be ‘seamless’! 
‘Wanna bet?’ Says I, to this twelve year old lad wanting to upgrade his rating in the company, who just smiled and assured me it wouldn’t be a problem. Then he told us someone would need to be home for the changeover! 
‘A physical visit?’ Says I. ‘Isn’t it just a case of unplugging one router and plugging in the new one?’ 
‘No, an engineer ( no doubt another youngster with adolescent acne ) needs to call’. 
‘Right’ says I with a large amount of suspicion, but as I often work from home it was decided I would take the day off on the 10th May. 
The day arrives and OH wakes up to an EE text…..’Hello Miss ********, by now you should be up and running and enjoying the service provided by your EE network’ or something along those lines. 
We both looked quizzically at the brand spanking new EE router that still lay in its smart new box on the dining table where it had been since we put it there following it’s delivery a couple of day since. 
‘Is no one coming then?’ asks I. 
‘Not sure’ shrugs OH. 
She goes to work and I call EE to see what’s going on. 
‘No, an engineer won’t be needed Mr ******, just unplug your BT router and plug in your EE one’. 
I hung up after informing her I’d taken the day off work to do this….tumbleweed. 
I did the deed and light came on; a yellow one, which stayed yellow, despite pamphlet informing me it would change to ‘Aqua’. 
Back on phone to EE who told me to dial 150 extension 3, which put me through to a very nice man ( sounded suspiciously like a teenager to me ) in Plymouth! 

‘You won’t be calling then will you!’ Says I. No, he wouldn’t, nor would anyone else as it turned out. We had a nice chat and he informed me it usually takes 12 hours for it to ‘kick in’ ( seamless obviously means something different to this generation ) and that he would monitor it and if it remained the same at his end he would get on it in the morning.
It remained the same the following morning and he didn’t get in touch, but being an old campaigner I wasn’t expecting him to. 
Three days goes past and OH phones up and is connected to another teenager, this time a female of the species with, and I kid you not, Tourettes!
Her and OH got on like a house on fire and had a right laugh, meanwhile I’m on my knees with a magnifying glass trying to read the so tiny it was ridiculous, 15 digit code below the BT box on the wall while OH wrote it down and passed it on to the rep’. 
We switched the router off and back on as instructed, found something small enough to press the reset button, but that light remained yellow. 
Half an hour later and no joy we were told an engineer would have a look but it could take up to five working days. 
Seamless.

Six days went by and that light is still determinedly yellow. OH rings again last night after getting on her knees and taking a picture of those stupidly small digits on her phone and blowing it up, and when he asks for that number he informed us we had a number wrong! So that’s my fault! 
If he can tell us we got a number wrong why couldn’t her new best friend tell us the same last week? 
Anyhow, it’s going to be another three to five working days. That’s ten days now. Am currently using in-laws wifi. 
Seamless my ****! 

Edited by Scully

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

im with EE (working off a mini hub).couldnt be happier........

I’ve no doubt we will be equally happy Ditchy…….eventually. It’s just BT all over again. As the saying goes….if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 

Every computer installation ( and that is what this is) that I have been involved in over the past 50 years goes exactly the same way.

1. Somebody insists that something that works reasonably ok needs replacing with "better technology"

2. The techies say that it will be  a seamless transition.

3. It isn't.

4. The techies insist that it has never happened to then like this before, but they may be able to upgrade their response to a senior techie.

5. Senior techie treats you like an imbecile. "Have you rebooted it?"

6. Eventually they twig that some essential piece of hardware or software, only necessary for your particular circumstances, is required.

6. The waiting time for this is a minimum of a week.

7. The new bit does the job, but the new kit doesn't perform the required task any better, but you now have extra bells and whistles on the new kit, which you waste time wondering what they do.

Luddite?

Moi?

3 minutes ago, amateur said:

Every computer installation ( and that is what this is) that I have been involved in over the past 50 years goes exactly the same way.

1. Somebody insists that something that works reasonably ok needs replacing with "better technology"

2. The techies say that it will be  a seamless transition.

3. It isn't.

4. The techies insist that it has never happened to then like this before, but they may be able to upgrade their response to a senior techie.

5. Senior techie treats you like an imbecile. "Have you rebooted it?"

6. Eventually they twig that some essential piece of hardware or software, only necessary for your particular circumstances, is required.

6. The waiting time for this is a minimum of a week.

7. The new bit does the job, but the new kit doesn't perform the required task any better, but you now have extra bells and whistles on the new kit, which you waste time wondering what they do.

Luddite?

Moi?

Sounds very familiar. 

I went into EE to ask about a better deal, 18 months ago, i dropped a huge clanger by upgrading to the BT router. We have never had had so many problems with internet connection. I have 3 months left on the contract and they can have there router back. 

This morning OH ‘s mother received an email from BT telling her that they had received notice she is moving, and as a result her broadband/internet service has been disconnected! 
She isn’t moving and has no plans to, but she is now without internet ( yes, that quick! ) but also the holiday let she owns is now without wifi, and guests arrive in an hour or so. 
She has been on the phone since 0930 this morning, on and off, trying to get it sorted, but so far has been informed it could take….yes, you’ve guessed it……three to five working days to reconnect! Incredible! She is as I type, trying to negotiate an emergency but temporary connection to tide her over until the guests leave next week sometime!
This also happened to neighbours last month. Who, why or how does BT receive this information and then service is abruptly ended, just like that, without any interaction from the account holder? Considering the faff you are required to go through to establish you are who you claim to be, to open an account, it seems astonishing that it can be ended just like that!
When I tried to end a contract with BT prematurely they threatened to take me to court! 😂
I am now at a mates using his wifi! 🤷‍♂️

when i was moving i was with plus-net.....i rang and asked them to cut me off on my moving date....(gave them 10 days notice) ..they said fine ..no-prbs...then cut me off the next day........i was in the middle of dealing with solicitors ....house movers ...confirming dates............plus-net left me in a hell of a mess........bunch of *****:mad:

OH is currently on the phone with a lady from EE who phoned at 1800. She doesn’t know anything of our problems but was told to call, so she has. 🙂

It is 16 days and counting now, without broadband. 
As an aside, a neighbour across the way has just had internet installed by BT. Before an engineer visited him he was sent seven hubs! That’s 7! 
I feel short changed as we were only sent three (3).

Phone call has ended and they’re sending an engineer around on Saturday; we’ve even been given a time slot! Fortunately I’ll be shooting by then. 
The rep’ OH has just spoken to had no idea how long this had been going on and has opened an official complaints file; she thought we had just called today! Obviously no one is talking to anyone at EE. 

Edited by Scully

when i got online with EE....went tocurries bought the hub...(will support 20 items)...paid my sub plugged it into my laptop...went online ..all done in mins....i pay £10 / mth for 40 Gb........more that enough for me

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

when i got online with EE....went tocurries bought the hub...(will support 20 items)...paid my sub plugged it into my laptop...went online ..all done in mins....i pay £10 / mth for 40 Gb........more that enough for me

Sounds good. Nothing in my life seems to be straightforward, absolutely nothing. 🙂

On 25/05/2022 at 22:09, ditchman said:

I think that I shall have to investigate this, thanks 👍👍👍

On 25/05/2022 at 22:09, ditchman said:

40gb- my two monsters use that in a week… ( ok, so I contribute to that usage too 😉)

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

40gb- my two monsters use that in a week… ( ok, so I contribute to that usage too 😉)

i watch the odd u-tube vid but apart from that just banking ....forum.....googling....low data stuff....if you are going to connect it to your TV for streaming...it aint suitable

Just got back and OH said a young engineer from EE called as planned this morning, but almost his first words were….’I don’t know why they’ve sent me because I can’t do anything.’ And true to his word he couldn’t! 
The ‘box’ on our wall is BT Open reach,  and he said that even if he knew what to do he wouldn’t be allowed to touch it. He informed us that whomever we had talked to on the phone would already have known it was Open reach, but possibly just sent him to confirm it. So, it’s going to be Monday now, when hopefully an Open reach engineer will call. 🙂
Day 18 and counting, since our ‘seamless’ changeover. 

Right. Young lad came round when he said he would this morning, and told OH it would be up and running in 15 mins, but then she said he was busy ringing whomever saying our ‘box’ wasn’t compatible. They told him it wouldn’t be because we are with BT. No, they’re not says he, they changed to EE on the 10th! 

He changed our box to EE, and informed OH some engineer had rigged our wi-fi up wrong and that we must have been using someone else’s wifi. Not as far as we know says OH. 
Anyhow, he has now installed an EE box which is compatible with our router, but they have to make changes at the exchange up the road, and that will involve setting up traffic lights, and it’s only three days from a long BH weekend, when everyone will be off, so it will probably be next week now. 🤷‍♂️

Twenty days and counting since our ‘seamless’ changeover. 
It’s a good job Kevin Bacon didn’t try and land that ******* ‘plane round here, it’d be buried in the Fells by now! 
It has now transpired that changing our box to EE, and setting it up, has disabled next doors wifi ( in laws whom are with BT ) which means she is now back on phone trying to sort it as she has guests in the holiday let. 
Am posting this from the pub, where I’m working today. So that’s me out til after the BH. Have a good un everyone. 👍

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Right. Young lad came round when he said he would this morning, and told OH it would be up and running in 15 mins, but then she said he was busy ringing whomever saying our ‘box’ wasn’t compatible. They told him it wouldn’t be because we are with BT. No, they’re not says he, they changed to EE on the 10th! 

He changed our box to EE, and informed OH some engineer had rigged our wi-fi up wrong and that we must have been using someone else’s wifi. Not as far as we know says OH. 
Anyhow, he has now installed an EE box which is compatible with our router, but they have to make changes at the exchange up the road, and that will involve setting up traffic lights, and it’s only three days from a long BH weekend, when everyone will be off, so it will probably be next week now. 🤷‍♂️

Twenty days and counting since our ‘seamless’ changeover. 
It’s a good job Kevin Bacon didn’t try and land that ******* ‘plane round here, it’d be buried in the Fells by now! 
It has now transpired that changing our box to EE, and setting it up, has disabled next doors wifi ( in laws whom are with BT ) which means she is now back on phone trying to sort it as she has guests in the holiday let. 
Am posting this from the pub, where I’m working today. So that’s me out til after the BH. Have a good un everyone. 👍

christ is next door piggy backing on your wi-fi.....i would be round there with a pick axe handle................yer goin' soft in yer old age scully :lol:

Engineer called round this morning, on time. Apparently there has been a mix up because OH has the same surname as her Mother, who lives thirty yards away at a different address but the same postcode…..really technical stuff it would seem. 
We have now been given a ‘cease and renew’ order, which means our brand new box and router will be replaced with another brand new box and router and we’ll be re-connected as new customers…..but he didn’t know when. 
He has re-connected OH’s Mother temporarily ( again ) and moved the router in the holiday let so we are in the middle of a triangle of signals bouncing off each other, which means we now have wi-fi, temporarily, until another engineer arrives with a new hub and router to connect us properly. 

Twenty six days and counting since our ‘seamless’ changeover. 🙂
Bloke across the way is now up and running, but last week was sent another router; he now has 8 routers including the one he’s using! 😳

On 30/05/2022 at 17:33, ditchman said:

christ is next door piggy backing on your wi-fi.....i would be round there with a pick axe handle................yer goin' soft in yer old age scully 

Sorry Ditchy, just seen this! Other way round seemingly! 🤷‍♂️🙂