Scully

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, mel b3 said:

You do know that if you try to swap account holder names , you'll just make an already pretty grim situation , even worse.

Fair play to you both for sticking it out . I'd have cancelled the direct debit,  and told them to poke it by now , and gone without broadband for the rest of my life.

Yeah, that’s what we both thought too. 
We’re at that stage now, where we’re working out what impact it would have on our business ( OH is an artist also ) and if we can just ditch it all and do without. 
We could probably cope with intermittent wi-fi, as long as it meant we could still contact galleries etc. 

We are seriously considering doing without broadband. 

3 hours ago, discobob said:

@Scully Did you check that address register I sent you?? Have you emailed the heads of BT and EE (and it is laughable that they are part of the same company now)?

I’ve checked everything Thankyou, DB, and have emailed a couple of those links. No response at all, unless someone contacting me through Messenger was as a result of that. All to no avail unfirtunately., but thankyou anyhow. 👍

I had an email from Virgin  along the lines of. 

Your analogue land line will not work after 29th June. We will be sending a special plug to connect your phone to your router. Plug it in and your phone will then be digital. P.S. It won't work if there is a power cut, so you may need to contact your house alarm provider.

We were on holiday on the 29th, but upon our return, the land line was dead, but the connector was in the mountain of post.

I followed the instructions. No phone and, initially, no internet either.

A phone conversation with Virgin (repeating the actions that I had already taken - switch off your router .....etc) made no improvement.

We will send an engineer, but it will cost £25 if your equipment is at fault. 

My equipment! The ruddy phone was working perfectly until they mucked it up.

A week later and a young female engineer turns up, parks on the pavement blocking my neighbour's driveway and seems miffed when I ask her to park the van legally in the road.

The problem turned out to be that Virgin had not correctly wired the area junction box nor downloaded the correct software when I had spoken to them.

The phone now works, but when trying to set the house alarm, I get a "Phone line faulty" message.

The alarm guy tells me that I need a £75 circuit board and an ongoing £6 per month dedicated mobile line to make the alarm work during a power cut.

Edited by amateur

2 minutes ago, amateur said:

I had an email from  along the lines of. 

Your analogue land line will not work after 29th June. We will be sending a special plug to connect your phone to your router. Plug it in and your phone will then be digital. P.S. It won't work if there is a power cut, so you may need to contact your house alarm provider.

We were on holiday on the 29th, but upon our return, the land line was dead, but the connector was in the mountain of post.

I followed the instructions. No phone and, initially, no internet either.

A phone conversation with Virgin (repeating the actions that I had already taken - switch off your router .....etc) made no improvement.

We will send an engineer, but it will cost £25 if your equipment is at fault. 

My equipment! The ruddy phone was working perfectly until they mucked it up.

A week later and a young female engineer turns up, parks on the pavement blocking my neighbour's driveway and seems miffed when I ask her to park the van legally in the road.

The problem turned out to be that Virgin had not correctly wired the area junction box nor downloaded the correct software when I had spoken to them.

The phone now works, but when trying to set the house alarm, I get a "Phone line faulty" message.

The alarm guy tells me that I need a £75 circuit board and an ongoing £6 per month dedicated mobile line to make the alarm work during a power cut.

All sounds so familiar. 
I have a long history of problems with BT, who threatened me with bailiffs. It’s a long story but it ended when it turned out THEY owed ME money, not the other way round! 
One of the Openreach engineers told us BT tried to take him to court ( he was employed by them at the time ) when he disputed a bill they had sent him! 🤷‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, discobob said:

Just remember - "It's good to talk" (in a Bob Hoskins voice)

What done it in the end - did you move house?? 😁

🙂 No, nothing as drastic! We found a case handler who was simply up to the job, and determined to get it sorted. All the others just passed the Buck. She stuck with it even when Openreach were simply lethargic about it. 

Just now, Scully said:

🙂 No, nothing as drastic! We found a case handler who was simply up to the job, and determined to get it sorted. All the others just passed the Buck. She stuck with it even when Openreach were simply lethargic about it. 

That makes a VERY pleasant change.  :good: