Lead ban

Chaz25

I guess there is little we can do? so whats the plan? not tryed any of the lead free stuff I guess they lack the weight would that mean in time longer pellets or will we see larger calibre's come in to sub 12 guns? I feel I have more to ask than offer answers so what are your thoughts gents?

No problem for me. I shoot a 410 mostly and will continue to do so using bismuth which in my experience you cannot tell the difference and niether can the partridge, pheasant etc.   they still fall out of the sky if I do my bit. 

Apologies did not see any reference to airrifles. Alternatives are coming available and yes I shoot a fair amount but have some two and a half thousand pellets in stock which will have to be used up first.

Edited by Walker570

Lead free airgun pellets need to be banned on safety grounds  .

Notice a said  lead free .not non toxic .

I refuse to shoot them on safety grounds .

They are horribly dangerous  to every one around .only a lead pellet stops and splatters on impact with something hard .

Gold might do also but I'm not suggesting gold pellets .so it's lead only and ban the rest  until they can find something that deforms as well as lead  .

Agree shotguns will operate mostly just fine, but airguns maybe not so good most barrels are hammer forged which will have some works hardening so alloys should not wear the bore to much I'm thinking, but flight stability and hardness may have a lack of accuracy and as scarecrow put it pinging about and what of 22lr and jacketed rifle rounds?

Agreeded! Ultrastru only tryed a sabo round years ago with a copper coated lead core good effect but did not dump its energy like a pure soft lead slug or pellet.

Edited by Chaz25

I have a good stock..feels less about the nature of the substance and more as an attack on shooting, if you can't ban the gun go after the ammo...Kind of ****** about it in a way, been doing this for 40 years we have know about lead for a long time but now its a problem...

25 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, not good on the wallet, BSA Green Star air rifle pellets in 22, 200 for £14.95 some shops £15.95 , makes a tin of 500 JSB  lead pellets around £18 worth stocking up,

Just to add there's already tons of lead in Agriculture land , ask any metal detectorist, when I was in the Oxford club most Sundays dig produced a bucket full , it was all sold for scrap and money given to charity

Aye I'm with you on that Stu, and Opp good point also plenty in the land after all where do you find it in the first place😁, and what about all those grand old buildings with lead flashing and guttering is the likes of the church and private owners due to be forced to renovate before time?

18 minutes ago, Chaz25 said:

Aye I'm with you on that Stu, and Opp good point also plenty in the land after all where do you find it in the first place😁, and what about all those grand old buildings with lead flashing and guttering is the likes of the church and private owners due to be forced to renovate before time?

Not forgetting there must be 1000s of old properties in UK with lead water pipes? 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Not forgetting there must be 1000s of old properties in UK with lead water pipes? 

Quite so! thing is this has come and gone as a topic for what maybe 15 years thing is in that time a good alternative has not come forward if that was due to price that should adjust in time if its characteristics that seems less easy to resolve

13 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Best line of defence is an attack .

Attack lead free pellets  as dangerous  and wholesale  unsuitable .

Also, h&n ftt green pushed the muzzle energy of my hw99 up by over 2ft lbs more than lead pellets. So there’s another problem.

15 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Alternatives are coming available and yes I shoot a fair amount but have some two and a half thousand pellets in stock which will have to be used up first.

Stockpiles, be they pellets, cartridges etc, raise the interesting question of whether there will be a transition period to use them up or sudden death i.e. with effect from -/-/- no more lead thus leaving owners of cartridges, bullets etc with a disposal problem. Hopefully common sense will prevail and there will be a long lead time to the cut off date which will allow stockpiles to be used.

14 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

I have a good stock..feels less about the nature of the substance and more as an attack on shooting, if you can't ban the gun go after the ammo...Kind of ****** about it in a way, been doing this for 40 years we have know about lead for a long time but now its a problem...

100% correct, the issue is to get at shooting sports in any way poss, it just happens to be lead at the mo with more to follow (some Free County we live in!) 

15 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Best line of defence is an attack .

Attack lead free pellets  as dangerous  and wholesale  unsuitable .

Quite agree. I was out last night using RWS hyperdome lead free .177 with my buddy. Usual distance of 25-35m, he was using his HW100 and I was using my AA S510t.  Neither of us could get any groupings that were any good, they were all over the place. We switched back to RWS super domes in lead and the difference is quite obvious. Both shot at 30m, the smaller group is 10 RWS superdomes, the larger group is 10 lead free hyperdomes.

DD9BE3A1-2647-4342-B1CF-EED854E8804E.jpeg

914729ED-46B6-4835-AC0B-220FBF26DEDD.jpeg

Edited by Taileron

Hello, so who's going to check us all out that we are using steel shot cartridges or lead free pellets or rifle ammo when or if the ban did come in, ??? Lots I see are stocking up with air rifle pellets, not so easy with cartridges due to cost, or rifle ammo amount with FAC licence, saying this I cannot see it happen any time soon, years maybe ?? , But then as my previous post BSA lead free pellets not far off £40 for 500 🤔👎

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

3 hours ago, Bobba said:

Stockpiles, be they pellets, cartridges etc, raise the interesting question of whether there will be a transition period to use them up or sudden death i.e. with effect from -/-/- no more lead thus leaving owners of cartridges, bullets etc with a disposal problem. Hopefully common sense will prevail and there will be a long lead time to the cut off date which will allow stockpiles to be used.

Do you seriously suggest their will be a whole army of clip board carrying 'Thought Police'  roaming the country checking if my air rifle has a lead pellet or not ?

7 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Do you seriously suggest their will be a whole army of clip board carrying 'Thought Police'  roaming the country checking if my air rifle has a lead pellet or not ?

Hi, not at all. Sorry if it reads that way. I was only wondering how the law, when enacted, will cope with stockpiles which will obviously exist. Your observation is as relevant now as it will be in the future. Who checks if we’re using steel  when shooting ducks on ponds? No  one. And, no one will know or really bother as long as those ducks do not enter the food chain. Regards.

On 21/05/2022 at 09:16, Bobba said:

No it's ban on their use so no way of using up Lead legally.

3 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

No it's ban on their use so no way of using up Lead legally.

Thats how it reads to me and I hunt on someone else's land so the problem grows from there also, and I think it is to be covered by the HSE its going to get murky 

At worst it looks like there will be at least five years to use your lead airgun ammo up. Also, indoor target shooting for airguns and rimfires will probably be exempt. Maybe also field target shooting if pellet catchers are used and 90% of used pellets can be collected. Same with smallbore ranges if bullet traps are in place. These exemptions are suggested in the proposals.