Shooting compak

wisdom

It’s good fun, a lot like sportrap if you’ve ever shot that. Sporttrap is cpsa governed whereas I believe compak is bictsf and the two have some differences re rules  and target presentations. I’d also hazard a guess at @TIGHTCHOKE being your man for a better explanation that what I’ve just written 🤦‍♂️ Give it a go what’s the worst that can happen 👍🏻

Good morning Chaps

Compak/Compact is quite similar to Sportrap.

It is shot from five stands spaced three-to-five metres apart in a line. Shot from cages, shooters do not have to shoot gun-down.

At least six traps are placed on the layout which throw FITASC SP style targets, and are labelled alphabetically or numerically.

Each stand has a menu telling the shooter what targets they will be shooting at. Shooting goes from left to right.

Usually shot with a full team of 5 shooters, taking it in turn. Five targets from each stand, move when every body has shot five from a stand.

The targets may be a single, a report pair and a simultaneous pair. But all 5 shooters will shoot the same 25 birds over the duration of the run.

Try it, it is great fun and if you are lucky to have a ground near you that runs it some great combinations of targets can be had for practice.

Orston in Nottinghamshire is one of my local grounds, they have a set up for practice close to the clubhouse and it always seems to be busy. A great place to try out a new gun.

orston1SPTa.jpg

orston4SPa.jpg

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Go in the week then!   :cool1:

Didn't you read the one I responded to - it's only on on a Saturday :D

I went Catton yesterday - shot poorly - hopefully I can get there on Wednesday's practice day and I can figure out the ones I done badly - but if it is like that D bird it will be an expensive day

Well, after a not great score at Catton on Sunday, I was able to call in there yesterday on the way back from dropping the lad at the Airport with the aim (get it :) ) of sorting out what I was doing wrong. I didn't learn a thing - because I could hit them all - anyone for a round of golf!!!

2 hours ago, discobob said:

Well, after a not great score at Catton on Sunday, I was able to call in there yesterday on the way back from dropping the lad at the Airport with the aim (get it :) ) of sorting out what I was doing wrong. I didn't learn a thing - because I could hit them all - anyone for a round of golf!!!

Oh well, you'll have to find something more challenging then!  :cool1:

8 hours ago, discobob said:

I would disagree with the “I didn’t learn a thing” statement. I would say that you learnt  that pressure (whether realised or not) has an affect on your ability. It could give you a starting point to work from and help you perform better the next time you’re under pressure whilst shooting.

I could of course be completely wrong 😑 so feel free to ignore my comments 😊

13 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

I would disagree with the “I didn’t learn a thing” statement. I would say that you learnt  that pressure (whether realised or not) has an affect on your ability. It could give you a starting point to work from and help you perform better the next time you’re under pressure whilst shooting.

I could of course be completely wrong 😑 so feel free to ignore my comments 😊

It must be subconscious then :) - in the summer I can only usually go on a registered there due to not being able to go in the week on a Wednesday and it is a relaxed thing as I know I am not in the money ranges - I am (maybe was??) B class in sporting which I was happy with as I have been a skeet shooter predominantly since starting. With the COLC though I am having to make decisions like how much I shoot and missed the previous two or three comps there. So I put it down to mainly being an idiot 🤣 which is a totally realistic statement if you know me :D

One thing I couldn't do though is replicate the presentations due to shooting on Solo Delay and couldn't do the on-report birds so maybe it is also that element that needs work........

6 hours ago, discobob said:

It must be subconscious then  - in the summer I can only usually go on a registered there due to not being able to go in the week on a Wednesday and it is a relaxed thing as I know I am not in the money ranges - I am (maybe was??) B class in sporting which I was happy with as I have been a skeet shooter predominantly since starting. With the COLC though I am having to make decisions like how much I shoot and missed the previous two or three comps there. So I put it down to mainly being an idiot 🤣 which is a totally realistic statement if you know me 

One thing I couldn't do though is replicate the presentations due to shooting on Solo Delay and couldn't do the on-report birds so maybe it is also that element that needs work........

Ah BUT,  you can always shoot them as 'sim pairs'   !      😉

7 hours ago, discobob said:

Went to NWSS today and only shot the sport trap (no hoops out) - couple of difficult sim combinations- but not exceptionally hard - but not easy - a good balance overall

So you didn't hit them all this time then?   :cool1: