A 'Port' question

Jaggsy

2 minutes ago, Jaggsy said:

Does port go off... i've had a couple of bottles in my truck for over a year and obviously they've gone from pretty cold to pretty warm, can they still be drank (drunk)?

It certainly won't have done them any good, but equally - they won't suddenly have become poisonous or something! 

Basically - 'ordinary' port (ruby, tawny etc.) keeps reasonably in bottle (months, few years) until opened, and once open should be drunk in a few days.

Medium priced (e.g. late bottled vintage, premium 'aged' ports) similar to above.

True vintage (expensive) port improves in bottle if kept carefully (not disturbed and relatively even moderate temperature).  When opened it needs decanting (as it is heavily sedimented) and should then be drunk in a day or two.  The flavour diminished with exposure to the air.  If shaken up (before decanting) needs a few days to settle or the sediment will not have resettled and it will be like muddy water!

26 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It certainly won't have done them any good, but equally - they won't suddenly have become poisonous or something! 

Basically - 'ordinary' port (ruby, tawny etc.) keeps reasonably in bottle (months, few years) until opened, and once open should be drunk in a few days.

Medium priced (e.g. late bottled vintage, premium 'aged' ports) similar to above.

True vintage (expensive) port improves in bottle if kept carefully (not disturbed and relatively even moderate temperature).  When opened it needs decanting (as it is heavily sedimented) and should then be drunk in a day or two.  The flavour diminished with exposure to the air.  If shaken up (before decanting) needs a few days to settle or the sediment will not have resettled and it will be like muddy water!

Thanks for this...it was about £25 in Waitrose, the one in the nice wooden box.

21 minutes ago, London Best said:

Send it here. I’ll test it.

OK you pay the postage.

2 minutes ago, Jaggsy said:

Thanks for this...it was about £25 in Waitrose, the one in the nice wooden box.

If I was you, I'd drink on a suitable occasion.  I would guess it won't have come to much harm, but if you do hold on to it for longer, put it in the house where the temperature is more stable.  Frequent and large temperature swings are not going to improve it.

29 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Wasn't Nelson was pickled in a barrel of port wine, he was by accounts perfectly preserved.

If it was good enough for 'pickling' our Lord Nelson it be good enough for drinking I would say.

there was a line of thought that reckoned that he was killed by arsenic poisoning by the paint in the villa that he was exiled to - as when his body was exhumed years later it was perfectly preserved.

I saw that on Blue Peter when I was a lad - it's amazing what sticks with you over the time. 

General consensus now is stomach cancer

29 minutes ago, Tonka54 said:

Wow those wooded boxes would make a great cigar humidor, I purchase my Cuban's in a small wooden humidor but it works out very expensive as they are not refreshable.

IMG_20220523_140558.jpg

IMG_20220523_140529.jpg

I haven’t touched a cigarette for about five years , and don't miss them anymore , but my god I still miss a nice cigar . I'm sniffing the pic 😄.

18 minutes ago, discobob said:

there was a line of thought that reckoned that he was killed by arsenic poisoning by the paint in the villa that he was exiled to - as when his body was exhumed years later it was perfectly preserved.

I saw that on Blue Peter when I was a lad - it's amazing what sticks with you over the time. 

You are thinking of Napoleon who was exiled to the island of Saint Helena off the coast of Africa. 

Nelson was killed by a musket ball at Trafalgar on 21st October 1805.

Edited by JohnfromUK

2 hours ago, discobob said:

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

You are thinking of Napoleon who was exiled to the island of Saint Helena off the coast of Africa. 

Nelson was killed by a musket ball at Trafalgar on 21st October 1805.

1 hour ago, discobob said:

your right - damn this middle age 👍🤣

:lol:

You made me a little confused for a second bob :lol: I read the account of Trafalgar when I was younger and things did not add up.

Thank you John for the information, I did not know that.