Thermal Spotter 6mm

rayo

After hearing all the positive views on thermal spotters I've decided to treat myself to one. It'll only be for mainly rats and occasional rabbits at around 30 yards.. The 6mm ones seem OK for around £370  For quite a while I thought my pard would suffice but listening to people I'm getting drawn to thermal 

Would a 6 mm suffice any suggestions would be appreciated 

Thanks in advance folks 👍

Most of the time I would urge people not to buy any thermal with less than 19mm of lens.
If you really are never going scan for anything over 30 yards, then then the 6mm might just do it, but in all seriousness, I think you will be sorely disappointed .

If thats all the budget stretches to , then fair dos, but if you want to have something capable , you need to find at least £1000.

As much as I agree with Rewulf I have a low level £350 thermal and I could pick my pal out 250yrds away sat up his high seat BUT don't expect to see small stuff much more than 20 yrds or so. Cows in the stock yard glow at 75yrds and the engines on the ,machines in the yard glow at 100yrds. I'm as tight as a.....   so not likely to lash out the sums required for better performance when  a Fox or similar bino at £100-120 will show me what I want to see out to 300.. Basically spend what you can afford and like almost everyhting you get performance for £s.

Hello, the only way I think that thermal has over normal night vision spotters is to see rabbit and foxes in the long grass or short crops, or squirrels up in the trees on a dull day, with my spotter I can see 300/400 yards in black and white but at this time of the year the headlands grass is to long so a thermal would be better but I can wait till this is cut, don't discount a second hand thermal and you may get a bigger size for same money, 

I’ve not tried it myself, but a friend (200 miles away, that’s why I’ve not tried it) has recently bought a 6mm £370 job and says it is perfect for his ratting. He knows what he is talking about as he is a professional rifleman and use bigger spotters and also night vision for various jobs.

There is a thread on here about me asking the same question- I got a second hand 6mm and ratting on my very small permissions is down to the odd one or two.

my plan is upgrade to a better one if I can warrant it afford it

where you based there maybe someone on here with one close by that you can borrow & try. 

For me 6mm is fine as you can see from photos 

Agriv8

017F7B22-1FD2-4A9C-BB2A-EBFFF521F99A.jpeg

5DB3EA56-165E-45A0-BB1E-BD167D189253.jpeg

EB5FE2FE-17BF-4D3A-B669-A64B89FD8344.jpeg

ECDA5F0D-9CA8-415C-9C2E-CBB0B35B8E4A.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

There is a thread on here about me asking the same question- I got a second hand 6mm and ratting on my very small permissions is down to the odd one or two.

my plan is upgrade to a better one if I can warrant it afford it

where you based there maybe someone on here with one close by that you can borrow & try. 

For me 6mm is fine as you can see from photos 

Agriv8

017F7B22-1FD2-4A9C-BB2A-EBFFF521F99A.jpeg

5DB3EA56-165E-45A0-BB1E-BD167D189253.jpeg

EB5FE2FE-17BF-4D3A-B669-A64B89FD8344.jpeg

ECDA5F0D-9CA8-415C-9C2E-CBB0B35B8E4A.jpeg

Link to previous thread that links to my original 

• 1 month later...