Limping. Injection?

getthegat

My 9 year old lab started limping 2 years ago due to arthritis in his shoulder. I put him on Yumove but when I took him to the vet a year later to get afresh supply of loxicom the vet said yumove is not effective unless you start when the dog is young. She said she gives her spaniels omega 369 as available from Holland and Barrett etc. He’s been on it for 12 months and I’ve only had to give him loxicom once and he does a lot of energetic excercise most days. Your dog may have a different problem but worth a try I would have thought

On 24/05/2022 at 18:14, old'un said:

I thought ibuprofen was toxic for dogs?

It's toxic for humans if you don't stick to a limited dose.  It is brilliant and will normally subdue gout in five days but I have always been warned not to go above five days with Ibofrufen.

A limp could be all sorts of things and to get a definitive answer is going to require money and a vet unfortunately. 

The fact it's intermittent and the fact your dogs a pointer makes me wonder if it could be an impingement of a nerve, particularly spinal cord as I have seen that regularly in long back dogs like pointers. 

I'm not a vet and nore do I have any proper medical training, so ive only commented from experience and am probably on totally the wrong path. 

So a physio came to our house today and spent an hour with Soph. He was very good and so was Soph, letting him examine and massage her. We have to attempt to ice pack her elbows, gently stretch out her limbs and muscles, take a video of her when the limp is there, because of course today she was fine and see if the limp improves in the next few days, then he's going to come back for another one hour session at the end of the week. In the meantime he is going to contact my vet and get copies of her x-rays and reports. 

So a really great physio called Scot came and spent an hour with Soph, then after having access to her notes and x-rays, it turns out that she had a double trauma when only a few months old, breaking either some small bones or tendons in both front paws. She was almost certainly left in that condition, unable to walk for at least 2 days, then weeks or months later was when she was picked up by Dog Trust. The particles in her paws have calcified, creating arthritis and over the years she has been off loading the weight, creating issues in the elbows and shoulders and now the rear hips. She is now on a semi retired limited exercise scheme (very tough for her and me) plus reduced food to keep weight down,  massage and ice packs and heat pads on the joints. Going forward, I have an appointment with my vet next Friday, with the possibility of an MRI full body scan to see the extent of the arthritis and make an informed decision on the loose pieces in her front paws, as to whether surgical removal will be beneficial.