Another school shooting in America

Rob85

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Just seen a report of another school shooting in the USA, elementary school in Texas this time I think. Why do lunatics target children?

So many of these lunatics are fellow students 

Just seen a report this was conducted by a student from a neighbouring school ?

2 minutes ago, jall25 said:

So many of these lunatics are fellow students 

Just seen a report this was conducted by a student from a neighbouring school ?

An 18yr old who is also suspected of killing his own grandmother. He walked into the school with a handgun and an AR15. Death toll is now standing at 21 I think.

Sadly there just doesn't seem to be a way to stop it. I mean sure you could arm the teachers but what kind of statement does that make to the world. Rather than go to fix your country's issues you would rather have a gun there incase the problem comes to you.

I'm just awaiting Alex Jones to come out and tell people that its not real and they are just crisis actors like he did with sandy hook 

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

The USA is a very very different country and culture in many ways to the U.K. and they will never ever give up their citizens rights to own guns. 

RIP to all those who have sadly lost their lives 😞 

it does not need for them to give up their right to own.we never gave up ours they were taken by government

just because they have a outdated constitution does not mean that rules of ownership or access cannot be put in place.the right to own muskets and flintlocks is a far cry from what it has become. this shooting is the only one to make the news today but there will have been many other incidents.and as an aside no doubt we in the uk will face calls for a review of gun laws here.all civilised free countries of the world have citizens rights for lots of things but all these rights will have rules attached. its not time for change there that time passed many years ago.

the worrying thing is ...if this happened 20 years ago the whole western world would be in shock and uproar.....................fast forward now and it is the norm'....you wake up in the morning see the news..........its on the ticker tape.....and peoples reaction is ...." oh another mass killing...dear oh dear....MMmmmm now lets see whats on tele tonight  "

and here we are...in our safe little homes with a ring side seat watching the next installment of WW3.....deseminating infomation ...making predictions...and battle plans...inspecting battle damage on Russian hardware....and moaning about the price increases on a packet of crisps...looking forward to our next trip to Costa-del-packet...and wearing out our finger pressing the Waga-mama button on our i-phone..........................and wondering if it will be dangerous if we attend the Eurovision song contest in war torn Ukraine..and could we get our money back from Thomas cooks if we were nuked whilst on holiday in Odessa....

strange world we live in

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

On the news this morning I believe Susana Reed quoted there are on average 20 children a day shot and killed in the states , and the boy who just done the shooting bought two automatic rifles on his 18th birthday .

Automatic or semi automatic? Often the press understanding of these things is somewhat distorted.

Did I hear that there are more mass shootings in the States than days in the year????

12 minutes ago, oowee said:

Automatic or semi automatic? Often the press understanding of these things is somewhat distorted.

I think the press definition, is if it has a visible magazine (or clip, as they seem to insist in error ) then its an 'assault' rifle , so is always full auto.

12 minutes ago, oowee said:

Did I hear that there are more mass shootings in the States than days in the year????

Definition of mass shooting is 2 or more people, the fact that at least 95 % of them are carried out by criminals , on criminals, makes any gun control arguments null and void.

Much like in the UK , the vast majority of gun crime is by illegally held firearms, and you cant legislate against that.
However, in this case , IF they are legally owned weapons, then the whole debate about suitability is bought back to the fore, but how they could deal with that is anyones guess ?

American society has some serious problems, the fact guns are easily attainable is neither here nor there.
There are other countries where the public ownership of firearms is high but such incidences are rare. 
On the other hand, if you live in a society where firearms are easily accessible, it makes sense for every responsible adult person to be armed. Schools are soft targets, it is up to authorities in countries such as those to make them hard targets. 
A lot of shootings in America occur in ‘gun free zones’, for the same reason they occur in schools. It is simply criminally ludicrous to have such zones in a country where people can easily access firearms. 

22 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I think the press definition, is if it has a visible magazine (or clip, as they seem to insist in error ) then its an 'assault' rifle , so is always full auto.

Definition of mass shooting is 2 or more people, the fact that at least 95 % of them are carried out by criminals , on criminals, makes any gun control arguments null and void.

Much like in the UK , the vast majority of gun crime is by illegally held firearms, and you cant legislate against that.
However, in this case , IF they are legally owned weapons, then the whole debate about suitability is bought back to the fore, but how they could deal with that is anyones guess ?

I am fully with the sentiment but it's simply too easy for the insane to access this stuff. The US has some of the toughest legislation for perps, the highest prison population and the worst crime levels.  It has some of the weakest gun control and the highest level of gun crime. It has some of the lowest levels of health care support (particularly for mental health) and a culture of top trumps. All this stuff seems to be linked. Gun control would take an age but it's either that or arm the kids? 

46 minutes ago, oowee said:

I am fully with the sentiment but it's simply too easy for the insane to access this stuff. The US has some of the toughest legislation for perps, the highest prison population and the worst crime levels.  It has some of the weakest gun control and the highest level of gun crime. It has some of the lowest levels of health care support (particularly for mental health) and a culture of top trumps. All this stuff seems to be linked. Gun control would take an age but it's either that or arm the kids? 

The kids don’t need to be armed, but perhaps school personnel do. Either that or hire armed security as they do in Israel. 

36 minutes ago, oowee said:

In a lot of cases, the kids are already armed, illegally, thats why they need metal detectors at the gate, and armed security.
Gun control has an effect that is felt with the legitimate user first, and the criminal or insane last, our own gun control efforts demonstrate this perfectly.

The system in the US is flawed, there is no argument from me there, but trying to put the lid on the proliferation of firearms, legal and illegal, is a futile prospect.
Whats needed is the 'culture of' gun violence has to be looked at , and addressed, its also a part of the cultural, and racial divide that has plagued , and will plague , the US, for years to come.
On one hand , you have bleeding heart liberals, who call for gun control/out right banning, whilst supporting violent ethnic groups rights, gang culture , fueled by violent rap lyrics, and the mantra of 'get rich or die tryin' 
The most successful Hollywood films or series  usually feature violent deaths at the end of a firearm, whilst the producers and actors that made them, will be first in line to call for 'justice' for the latest victims here, the hypocrisy is staggering.

Most states now have background checks , for criminality, yet getting hold of a firearm is not hard, being caught with one is still punished quite sternly if you are prohibited.
So Im not sure what the answer is to be honest, I just know that nothing much is going to change anytime soon.

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

The kids don’t need to be armed, but perhaps school personnel do. Either that or hire armed security as they do in Israel. 

Donald Trump was advocating this.....but it was poorly recieved.......

37 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Donald Trump was advocating this.....but it was poorly recieved.......

I recall some on Capitol Hill advocating the abolishment of the 2nd Amendment some years ago, then going out and buying themselves personal firearms whenever civil unrest has occurred, especially in black neighbourhoods. 🙂

3 minutes ago, holloway said:

I reckon that if an 18 year old could obtain 2 assault rifles in this country as easily  we would start to see the same problems.

As Ive already mentioned, they are NOT assault rifles !
They are semi auto .223 rifles, the fact that they are black and have big magazines, makes them no more lethal than a bolt action .223 , which 18 year olds can buy in this country pending checks and 'reason' , yet legally held firearm crime is virtually non existent.
Like I say , its the mentality and culture over there that is at fault, try some areas of London or Birmingham , they have a similar mentality and culture, and shoot and stab each other on a nightly basis.
Switch  Radio 1 on an evening, and listen to some of the rap and drill lyrics this 'premier' station champions, its invariably about gang violence 'respekt' and treating women as 'hoes'
This is the example we are setting here, and in the states its even worse.

If they cant get rid of the guns , at least get rid of the idea that there is no chance for young people, unless they are constantly fighting against injustices that often dont exist, whilst modelling themselves on some fantasy character theyve seen on TV.

1 hour ago, holloway said:

I reckon that if an 18 year old could obtain 2 assault rifles in this country as easily  we would start to see the same problems.

Here you go. This is what 18 year olds can legally obtain in the UK. They are NOT assault rifles but .22rf self loading ( semi automatic ) rifles.  
image.jpeg.b43171ed817aba3f4c92808a33844bfb.jpeg

3 hours ago, holloway said:

As @Scully has pointed out it is possible for anyone of the right age to pick up a semi auto 22lr, that looks like an hk416. It is as deadly as the ar15 used in America, but thankfully it doesn't happen in this country. Probably in part due to the checks done by the police before issuing a license. 

There are enough illegally held guns in this country for it to of happened already if it was going to, in my opinion ..

8 hours ago, oowee said:

Not sure on your question oowee , but they did say , there are more guns in America than people , I can well believe that , I went in one of there shooting supermarkets when I was there on holiday and it was huge , if it wasn't for the coach leaving I could had easily spent a good few hours in the place , just browsing of course .