Can I sell reloads?

23 minutes ago, London Best said:

Yes.

edit: if anybody is stupid enough to buy reloads from an unknown reloader.

That's a good point. I know the reloader and have used a few of the rounds but no one else will. Probably best to pull the bullets and sell them.

They are vmax bullets and I tend to just use the .243 for deer so not my first choice. 

3 hours ago, Lever357 said:

I think you will find unless the reloaded ammunition has been proof tested, then it is illegal to sell them.

If selling section 1 ammunition by way of trade or business you need to be an RFD, no legal requirements to have them proof tested however would be wise to do so, then the issue of liability. 

If loading for a friend and doing so together for example then not an issue buying reloads without knowing its providence may be not.

16 hours ago, shakin stevens said:

Can you clear this up in legal terms ? I cant find any real information on it . 

A good friend who is an RFD told me and if you think about it, it is illegal to sell a shotgun or firearm that has not been proof tested so why would they let people sell home made ammunition that had not been tested.

19 minutes ago, Lever357 said:

A good friend who is an RFD told me and if you think about it, it is illegal to sell a shotgun or firearm that has not been proof tested so why would they let people sell home made ammunition that had not been tested.

Think about that statement logically.
How do we test our own home loads ? You shoot them, you dont get them 'proofed'

The question here is , can you sell them as a commercial venture , or the same way you would sell unrequired items ?
As a commercial venture, then obviously there needs to be some stringent quality control, but do they really need regular samples sending off to the proof house, is that even a thing ?
If , as the OP suggested , they are simply rounds that are no longer required, then as long as the person who made them knows what they are doing (and this is the main caveat) they should be perfectly safe to sell or trade .
As with the case with anything firearm related, one must use their common sense, and judgment.
Would I personally buy reloads off someone I didnt know well, probably not, but if they were cheap enough, you could use the components , OR , take them apart to check how they have been made.
Have I sold reloads to people, yes, and they have been very happy with the saving and performance, they did it because they trusted me.

5 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Think about that statement logically.
How do we test our own home loads ? You shoot them, you dont get them 'proofed'

The question here is , can you sell them as a commercial venture , or the same way you would sell unrequired items ?
As a commercial venture, then obviously there needs to be some stringent quality control, but do they really need regular samples sending off to the proof house, is that even a thing ?
If , as the OP suggested , they are simply rounds that are no longer required, then as long as the person who made them knows what they are doing (and this is the main caveat) they should be perfectly safe to sell or trade .
As with the case with anything firearm related, one must use their common sense, and judgment.
Would I personally buy reloads off someone I didnt know well, probably not, but if they were cheap enough, you could use the components , OR , take them apart to check how they have been made.
Have I sold reloads to people, yes, and they have been very happy with the saving and performance, they did it because they trusted me.

The law, firearms act, makes a destination between section 1 and section 2 ammunition for section 1 if manufacturing ammunition commercially by way of trade or business for a profit then you must be a RFD, but that is not the case for section 2 shotgun ammunition.

to answer your question “is that even a thing?” then yes the proof house does set down samples testing criteria as for example shown in the photo, naturally any commercial manufacture would probably have their own ballistic equipment. Easy to get confused over CIP, which is not mandatory in the U.K. by a quirk of history, however CIP does include an exemption for home loading otherwise in the rest of europe where CIP is mandatory nobody could home load.

But don’t take my word on it phone them at Birmingham and ask.

4ECCEF25-20F3-4F51-8B7F-42BA9B31BF8A.jpeg

Edited by rbrowning2

I’m not really sure how anyone is supposed to ‘proof test’ reloaded hand loads and expect to have any left? 🤷‍♂️
We used to reload for each other at times, and before I bought myself a Lee progressive I would use a mates Dillon press, and he would often ask me to ‘knock out a couple of boxes for me while you’re on’. None were ever sold. 

12 hours ago, Scully said:

I’m not really sure how anyone is supposed to ‘proof test’ reloaded hand loads and expect to have any left? 🤷‍♂️
We used to reload for each other at times, and before I bought myself a Lee progressive I would use a mates Dillon press, and he would often ask me to ‘knock out a couple of boxes for me while you’re on’. None were ever sold. 

Exactly. 

Although I'm sure r browning is correct, in that commercial manufacture needs samples testing, there are smaller RFD s who do make and sell reloads for customers, Edinburgh rifles being a good example. 

Whenever I've made rounds for people, I've written it on their ticket where its come from, there has never been any questions asked. 

• 2 weeks later...

In short No

in the eyes of the law your FAC enables you to aquire and possess  specific calibres  of firearms and the ammunition for them 

it does not allow you to sell that ammunition to another certificate holder 

In these days of legal action and the compensation culture I wouldn't even attempt to sell them

pull the bullets and recycle the components job done no comebacks on you then 

on your certificate

It states your name and address

and it states this person is a fit person to acquire and posecess firearms and ammunition relating this certificate nothing in the conditions about saying you can sell ammunition 

If you really want to be doubly sure read the home office firearms guidance notes its about 400 pages long should be something there

just be sure mate before you possibly do something you could later regret that's all I'm saying I'm no lawyer just be cautious that's all I'm saying.