Shortening a .410 barrel

mel b3

I've noticed a few things while shooting crows with my silenced Baikal this morning, and that's that 2" carts are much much louder than 3" carts .  I've never taken any notice before , but the difference is massive. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not found that at all. Through a baikal hushpower 2 inch is very quiet especially to 3 inch. People are always asking about how quiet they are and the simple answer is that you can walk around a farm and pop off squirrels and crows without disturbing the whole wood. Tried 3 inch through a non silenced 410 and thought it was as loud as a 20g.

on a side note if anyone is re-loading I have spent 410 carts in 2, 2/1/2 and 3 inch. Will need to count up but probably 100to 150 Happy to post at cost

16 hours ago, Woodbepigeonshooter said:

Not found that at all. Through a baikal hushpower 2 inch is very quiet especially to 3 inch. People are always asking about how quiet they are and the simple answer is that you can walk around a farm and pop off squirrels and crows without disturbing the whole wood. Tried 3 inch through a non silenced 410 and thought it was as loud as a 20g.

on a side note if anyone is re-loading I have spent 410 carts in 2, 2/1/2 and 3 inch. Will need to count up but probably 100to 150 Happy to post at cost

I found it very surprising myself.  I've put plenty of carts of all sizes through an unsilenced. 410 , and 2" have always seemed quieter , but using them through the Baikal hushpower on Saturday,  they gave a very loud and sharp crack.

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I found it very surprising myself.  I've put plenty of carts of all sizes through an unsilenced. 410 , and 2" have always seemed quieter , but using them through the Baikal hushpower on Saturday,  they gave a very loud and sharp crack.

The loudest  carts I've ever shot were the 14 gram bornaghi  no 7.5 . They are only short (2.5 inch I think ) but goodness they are way louder then even my 19 grm 3 inch nsi which are a punchy .410 cart .

So just cos they are short doesn't make them quiet .

8 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The loudest  carts I've ever shot were the 14 gram bornaghi  no 7.5 . They are only short (2.5 inch I think ) but goodness they are way louder then even my 19 grm 3 inch nsi which are a punchy .410 cart .

So just cos they are short doesn't make them quiet .

I'd never really taken too much notice of just how different the carts sound . By far the loudest were 3" eley subs , followed by the 2" carts . The 2.5 eley game carts were by far the quietest (airgun level ), and the 3" eley extra long just went with a whoosh.

3 inch Fiocchi out of a Mossy pumper husher.... I had a busy morning killing crows, jackdaws and ferals on a newly drilled field just 100yrds from the kitchen window of the farm and on finishing I spoke with the farmers wife and she was unaware I had been shooting and she was in the kitchen almost all morning.   Every gun, silencer is going to react differently.  I have a silencer which will screw on two diferent barrels, one a 22BR and the other a 7-30 Waters(lots more powder) the 22 BR goes off will a wallop where the Waters sounds like a moderated 22rf...wierd.

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Morning Mel.

On its way.  :good:

Look forward to this moving across to the DiY Section!  

Thankyou very much dave . It's very much appreciated mate.

Plans are evolving by the minute , and a full write up of events will take place as soon as possible 👍.

I successfully shortened a friends single 410 from 30" to 24 1/4". It was an un-named clunker but he said it became his go to 410 in its shorter guise. It was full choke but ended up cylinder (near as damn it) I marked the length with a pipe cutter (after measuring at least twice, Don't forget the 24" rule!) and cut with a high quality 1mm angle grinder blade. after checking for square I used a step drill on slow to achieve an acceptable crown, finished with emery then wet and dry  and cold blued. came out nice and was apparently much more useable. Was not moderated though

2 hours ago, impala59 said:

I successfully shortened a friends single 410 from 30" to 24 1/4". It was an un-named clunker but he said it became his go to 410 in its shorter guise. It was full choke but ended up cylinder (near as damn it) I marked the length with a pipe cutter (after measuring at least twice, Don't forget the 24" rule!) and cut with a high quality 1mm angle grinder blade. after checking for square I used a step drill on slow to achieve an acceptable crown, finished with emery then wet and dry  and cold blued. came out nice and was apparently much more useable. Was not moderated though

At the moment,  I've decided not to shorten mine , but , plans have changed many times since the original idea  , then again it might still get shortened,  or maybe not , or maybe it will 😄.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update guys.

With the help of , Old farrier , ditchman , TIGHTCHOKE,  and bits and bobs of info from other members, I managed to cobble together a moderator.  With their help and advice,  and real experience,  I've managed to turn out something that works better than my hushpower .

It's made from 50mm aluminium tube , with nylon bushes , and endcaps , and it's held onto the barrel with a 16mm pressure gland. 

The total cost was £5.99 , but that's mainly thanks to dave sending me the aluminium tube for free ( that's my most favourite price in the whole world). 

I've used it a couple of times , and so far it seems to be absolutely perfect . It's quieter than my husher , and drops birds very well . I was a bit worried that nylon might not be up to the job , but so far ( I've not put many carts through it yet) their appears to be no visible wear.

It's fitted to an old breda , that cost £30 , and I chopped the barrel to 24.5 inches , and ported the barrel with 18 x 3mm holes.

I'll probably just give the stock and forend a quick coat of nato green .

I've already got a few ideas for the next mod , once I've got more safe space , and another cheap .410.

Edited to add . It's also about 5 inches shorter than my Baikal hushpower . That was the biggest incentive to me to do it in the first place 👍.

IMG-20220621-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20220621-WA0016.jpg

20220619_114931.jpg

IMG-20220620-WA0040.jpg

Edited by mel b3

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Mel you are very welcome.  :good:

Can we have some pictures of the holes, where did you put them?

Glad it worked out well.

I shall have to keep my eyes on the remaining tubing.  

I didn't take any pics of the holes I'm afraid dave , and everything has been bonded together ( I went all belt and braces) . It's just as well really , because my engineering skills let me down , and my spacings weren't very good .

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I didn't take any pics of the holes I'm afraid dave , and everything has been bonded together ( I went all belt and braces) . It's just as well really , because my engineering skills let me down , and my spacings weren't very good .

Okay, fair enough, please describe where you put the holes.

Does it have a baffel stack inside or a drilled billet perhaps .or is it an empty tube .I take it the barrel ports vent into the rear section of the mod . Is the mid bushing drilled to allow gas through it or solid .

Looks good and something I've thought of in the past .

I take it your not gonna get it proofed though .? 

8 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Because at a production cost of £35.99 per unit he can afford to whack on a fair slice of profit and still have a viable product to market against overpriced competitors 🤣

Oh well if he's going in to production he may need to.

I thought it was just for his use and will not require proving.

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh well if he's going in to production he may need to.

I thought it was just for his use and will not require proving.

It’s going to be more expensive than that to produce 

by the time his business partners consulting team professional consultant and material supplier have a share 🤔

13 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Just a quick update guys.

With the help of , Old farrier , ditchman , TIGHTCHOKE,  and bits and bobs of info from other members, I managed to cobble together a moderator.  With their help and advice,  and real experience,  I've managed to turn out something that works better than my hushpower .

It's made from 50mm aluminium tube , with nylon bushes , and endcaps , and it's held onto the barrel with a 16mm pressure gland. 

The total cost was £5.99 , but that's mainly thanks to dave sending me the aluminium tube for free ( that's my most favourite price in the whole world). 

I've used it a couple of times , and so far it seems to be absolutely perfect . It's quieter than my husher , and drops birds very well . I was a bit worried that nylon might not be up to the job , but so far ( I've not put many carts through it yet) their appears to be no visible wear.

It's fitted to an old breda , that cost £30 , and I chopped the barrel to 24.5 inches , and ported the barrel with 18 x 3mm holes.

I'll probably just give the stock and forend a quick coat of nato green .

I've already got a few ideas for the next mod , once I've got more safe space , and another cheap .410.

Edited to add . It's also about 5 inches shorter than my Baikal hushpower . That was the biggest incentive to me to do it in the first place 👍.

IMG-20220621-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20220621-WA0016.jpg

20220619_114931.jpg

IMG-20220620-WA0040.jpg

that looks like a cracking job Mel, not bad for a Dustman :whistling:.... did you have plans to work from?

whats the overall length of the barrel, breech to muzzel with the mod fitted.