Shortening a .410 barrel

mel b3

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll do my best to answer the questions guys.

It was very much a thrown together project . It was beer matt engineering , and more of a trial than anything . I was very concerned about the high pressures generated by cartridges,  and was doubtful about the use of nylon and resin , until I was reassured by one of the product development team ( that had first hand experience of building mods with nylon ), that nylon was fine. Fortunately,  I'd accidentally found out just how tough some types of nylon are , and I had some that I'd already accidentally tested.

Now that I've managed to cobble together something that actually works , and I have more of an idea about things , the mk2 should be a massive improvement ( with the help of amateur), in every way .

The barrel is 24.5" , and the full length with the mod fitted is approx 28" .

The internal baffles each have 6x3mm holes , that I countersunk slightly,  to help the smooth flow of gasses , and hopefully help to keep the pressure to a minimum.

The ports in the barrel were 3mm , and I drilled 18 of them . Iirc I drilled a row of six along the top of the barrel , and a row of six along each side ,  below the center line ( my drilling accuracy was embarrassingly shabby).

When I did the initial test firing , the home made job was very slightly quieter than the husher , and now that it's seen a few fouling shots , it's even better( I was advised that it would be).

I've found a couple of pics on my phone , that I took after I'd put it together , I took them as I couldn't see inside the mod . You can see a few of the 3mm holes that I drilled in the baffles. I've also got the amazingly crafted engineering drawing that I worked from( sort of ).

I had not intended to send the gun or mod to the proof house , as it'll never be sold , its next step would be getting chopped up , and handed in at the police station when I've finished with it .

I haven’t tested it properly yet , as I haven't really had time , but I did put a shot through a large polythene sheet , and at approximately 35 yards , the gaps in the pattern are big enough to get a baby elephant through unscathed 😁.

20220615_193037.jpg

20220619_123804.jpg

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

You'll have to bring it to your woodland 'when' we meet up in the near future, Mel. I'd love to see it and have a go. 

My S&W 15 22 sound good with a SAK mod' and sub's and even better with HV. I'll bring it along for you to test.

Don't get too excited Steve,  it's just an old wreck of a .410 , with a big coke can on the front . We can do a few clays up there with it 👍.

51 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You are not allowed to shoot Baby Elephants in this country!  

I've just consulted the general licence,  and it says nothing whatsoever about not shooting baby elephants . Infact , I'm sure my local clay ground has a baby elephant stand.😁

3 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Don't get too excited Steve,  it's just an old wreck of a .410 , with a big coke can on the front . We can do a few clays up there with it 👍.

I've just consulted the general licence,  and it says nothing whatsoever about not shooting baby elephants . Infact , I'm sure my local clay ground has a baby elephant stand.😁

Nevertheless, you've made it. Looking forward mate. You'll also enjoy my S&W 15-22 with a few 100 rounds of HV. I'll bring some steel gongs with me. 

15 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Nevertheless, you've made it. Looking forward mate. You'll also enjoy my S&W 15-22 with a few 100 rounds of HV. I'll bring some steel gongs with me. 

I'm looking forward to that very much Steve 😁😁😁

7 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Mel I have a sound meter that I could post if you want to take some back to back  readings

from my photo archive 

my tk 38 with hushpower fitted comparison between subsonic and normal eley 3 inch !

Agriv8 

5D9A12EB-5277-4C22-9CB8-873D45893380.jpeg

B463F272-6231-4683-A8C9-AD3F802BF882.jpeg

Thankyou very much for the offer , but I think I've got the quietest cartridges with the eley 2.5 inch . The 3inch subs were much louder than standard 3inch carts , and by far the noisiest were the 2inch carts. 

I've got a couple of videos,  but I can't post them. I've sent them to Steve b Wales to see if he can help.

32 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well I do not know what shells Mel was using last week when I visited but I did not hear anyhting resembling a gun going off.  I did he one 'whoosh' but could not say it was more than anirmal agricultural sound.  A tidy, handy little gun for yard work that's for sure.

Cheers nev. That's exactly what it's for .  I was mainly using 2.5 inch eley carts , but I used a few 3 inch too . I'd happily use it around the farmyard,  and even outside the farmers house . Mind you , I've shot several foxes from the farmers bedroom window with my .243 , so he's pretty understanding when it comes to a bit of noise .

I've got a couple of wattsap videos of it being tested , but I can't post them as they're too big. If anyone wants to see the videos , or can shrink them and post them , just pm me your phone number .

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You are not allowed to shoot Baby Elephants in this country!  :w00t:

Perfect gun for missing them good job he tested it 🤭

3 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Would that be the big eared or small eared helifant

5 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Perfect gun for missing them good job he tested it 🤭

Would that be the big eared or small eared helifant

I thought we only had small eared hefalumps in this country ?.

Mel if you get your eye in with the small eared hefalumps and fancy a trip to Yorkshire- I recon they have been cross breeding with the rats down the farm.

I have not seen evidence of a heffalump or it’s burrow but the result of the cross breeding is bellow.

D96D2814-7710-45C4-B3AE-E5BE34BEF8CB.jpeg

Well that’s the problem with baby hefelumps you can’t really tell how big the ears are unless you peg them out on the washing line 😦

but we definitely have both sorts and the lesser hairy brown hefalump although rare has been seen trunk up allegedly In Norfolk 🤭

not a good thing to engage a rampant rampageing trunk up hefalump 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Well I do not know what shells Mel was using last week when I visited but I did not hear anyhting resembling a gun going off.  I did he one 'whoosh' but could not say it was more than anirmal agricultural sound.  A tidy, handy little gun for yard work that's for sure.

Bloimey Nev, why was he shooting at you?

12 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Thankyou very much for the offer , but I think I've got the quietest cartridges with the eley 2.5 inch . The 3inch subs were much louder than standard 3inch carts , and by far the noisiest were the 2inch carts. 

I've got a couple of videos,  but I can't post them. I've sent them to Steve b Wales to see if he can help.

Sorry Mel. I don't think I'll be able to do this for you. Perhaps someone else on here could help.

11 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Well that’s the problem with baby hefelumps you can’t really tell how big the ears are unless you peg them out on the washing line 😦

but we definitely have both sorts and the lesser hairy brown hefalump although rare has been seen trunk up allegedly In Norfolk 🤭

not a good thing to engage a rampant rampageing trunk up hefalump 

Now I understand why there are so few Baby Elephants (Hefalumps) in this country!  :w00t:

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Now I understand why there are so few Baby Elephants (Hefalumps) in this country!  :w00t:

More importantly I need Gordon Bennit to let me know the following 

the gun , barrel length, forcing cone dimensions and choke, cartridge shot weight, pellet size, muzzle velocity finally what impact speed and penetration  needs to be and how many pellets just so I can do the maths if ever I come across a baby hefalump.

I would not expect reds cartridge to be available in ‘Slug’ format !

🤣🤣🤣

Agriv8

5 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

the gun , barrel length, forcing cone dimensions and choke, cartridge shot weight, pellet size, muzzle velocity finally what impact speed and penetration  needs to be and how many pellets just so I can do the maths if ever I come across a baby hefalump.

🤣🤣🤣

Agriv8

Wymberley will be along shortly with all the information you need.

27 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

🤣🤣🤣

Agriv8

You make some good points Agent A!  :cool1:

52 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

🤣🤣🤣

Agriv8

Sorry we’re going to need more information 

do you intend to shoot them flying running sitting or perched? 🤔

i don’t recommend shooting them swimming or flying over water (large ears variety)or if they have a parent nearby as you maybe need a spare gun for adults 🤔

is this purely for pest control or for the table?

It’s obviously a very variable science hefalump shooting 🐘🦣

9 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Sorry we’re going to need more information 

do you intend to shoot them flying running sitting or perched? 🤔

i don’t recommend shooting them swimming or flying over water (large ears variety)or if they have a parent nearby as you maybe need a spare gun for adults 🤔

is this purely for pest control or for the table?

It’s obviously a very variable science hefalump shooting 🐘🦣

Shooting them , running , sitting , or , perched??? .  How very common , and unsportsmanlike !.