Jump to content

Shortening a .410 barrel


Recommended Posts

I've noticed a few things while shooting crows with my silenced Baikal this morning, and that's that 2" carts are much much louder than 3" carts .  I've never taken any notice before , but the difference is massive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not found that at all. Through a baikal hushpower 2 inch is very quiet especially to 3 inch. People are always asking about how quiet they are and the simple answer is that you can walk around a farm and pop off squirrels and crows without disturbing the whole wood. Tried 3 inch through a non silenced 410 and thought it was as loud as a 20g.

on a side note if anyone is re-loading I have spent 410 carts in 2, 2/1/2 and 3 inch. Will need to count up but probably 100to 150 Happy to post at cost

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Woodbepigeonshooter said:

Not found that at all. Through a baikal hushpower 2 inch is very quiet especially to 3 inch. People are always asking about how quiet they are and the simple answer is that you can walk around a farm and pop off squirrels and crows without disturbing the whole wood. Tried 3 inch through a non silenced 410 and thought it was as loud as a 20g.

on a side note if anyone is re-loading I have spent 410 carts in 2, 2/1/2 and 3 inch. Will need to count up but probably 100to 150 Happy to post at cost

I found it very surprising myself.  I've put plenty of carts of all sizes through an unsilenced. 410 , and 2" have always seemed quieter , but using them through the Baikal hushpower on Saturday,  they gave a very loud and sharp crack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I found it very surprising myself.  I've put plenty of carts of all sizes through an unsilenced. 410 , and 2" have always seemed quieter , but using them through the Baikal hushpower on Saturday,  they gave a very loud and sharp crack.

The loudest  carts I've ever shot were the 14 gram bornaghi  no 7.5 . They are only short (2.5 inch I think ) but goodness they are way louder then even my 19 grm 3 inch nsi which are a punchy .410 cart .

So just cos they are short doesn't make them quiet .

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The loudest  carts I've ever shot were the 14 gram bornaghi  no 7.5 . They are only short (2.5 inch I think ) but goodness they are way louder then even my 19 grm 3 inch nsi which are a punchy .410 cart .

So just cos they are short doesn't make them quiet .

 

I'd never really taken too much notice of just how different the carts sound . By far the loudest were 3" eley subs , followed by the 2" carts . The 2.5 eley game carts were by far the quietest (airgun level ), and the 3" eley extra long just went with a whoosh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 inch Fiocchi out of a Mossy pumper husher.... I had a busy morning killing crows, jackdaws and ferals on a newly drilled field just 100yrds from the kitchen window of the farm and on finishing I spoke with the farmers wife and she was unaware I had been shooting and she was in the kitchen almost all morning.   Every gun, silencer is going to react differently.  I have a silencer which will screw on two diferent barrels, one a 22BR and the other a 7-30 Waters(lots more powder) the 22 BR goes off will a wallop where the Waters sounds like a moderated 22rf...wierd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Parcel in the post on Saturday Mel!   :cool1:

Fantastic dave. Thankyou very much mate . Your efforts are very much appreciated 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Morning Mel.

On its way.  :good:

Look forward to this moving across to the DiY Section!  

Thankyou very much dave . It's very much appreciated mate.

Plans are evolving by the minute , and a full write up of events will take place as soon as possible 👍.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I successfully shortened a friends single 410 from 30" to 24 1/4". It was an un-named clunker but he said it became his go to 410 in its shorter guise. It was full choke but ended up cylinder (near as damn it) I marked the length with a pipe cutter (after measuring at least twice, Don't forget the 24" rule!) and cut with a high quality 1mm angle grinder blade. after checking for square I used a step drill on slow to achieve an acceptable crown, finished with emery then wet and dry  and cold blued. came out nice and was apparently much more useable. Was not moderated though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, impala59 said:

I successfully shortened a friends single 410 from 30" to 24 1/4". It was an un-named clunker but he said it became his go to 410 in its shorter guise. It was full choke but ended up cylinder (near as damn it) I marked the length with a pipe cutter (after measuring at least twice, Don't forget the 24" rule!) and cut with a high quality 1mm angle grinder blade. after checking for square I used a step drill on slow to achieve an acceptable crown, finished with emery then wet and dry  and cold blued. came out nice and was apparently much more useable. Was not moderated though

At the moment,  I've decided not to shorten mine , but , plans have changed many times since the original idea  , then again it might still get shortened,  or maybe not , or maybe it will 😄.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...