Stock Oiling Advice

das

Got another gun with a rather nice stock.  Stock is oiled finished.
The gun is a Browning Heritage 11 the damage to the the stock is a small 2"x 1" where slight denting had
occured. I sorted this with a few strokes of 800 grade a ad finished with 2000 grade. All looked fine.
On re oiling stock came up great except the area where the damage occured, in that area now it appears dry and dull.

Any help would be welcomed.

Thanks

its dry and dull because it needs feeding..........as you know oiling a stock is not a wipe over and bobs yer uncle...getting a good finish on a stock takes time...when i did my AYA #1 it took weeks with BLO.......just keep feeding it

Dry and dull it is because the oil is drawn into the wood. You need to apply oil every day and rub it in until the wood takes no more. It will take a few weeks before you will see the result that you are looking for and over time the damaged spot will blend in with the rest of the stock. Slight denting can be lifted by exposing the dent to hot steam rather than sanding the dent out.

Edited by reindeer

Use very little oil on the wood, you can always put more on. Put about three finger tip dabs on one side and rub it with your hand using the ball of the palm hand, the bit behind the thumb. Rub it in circles so that your hand gets warm.

Vic.