Wanted - Reloading Primer Pocket Swaging Dies/Tool (maybe RCBS Swager Combo-2?)

Downforce

Hi Folks

I am looking for a large & small primer pocket swaging die/tool set for reaming out military and crimped primer pockets

As far as I can tell the most common and best loved type seems to be the RCBS Model: 9481 Primer Pocket Swager Combo-2

That would work if anyone has a newish set in a drawer gathering dust before I go out and buy a new set

Alternatively something similar but not the goes in the drill type as the ability to line up the cartridge directly affects the quality and I just want a simple high quality result

D

1 hour ago, kwakkerjack said:

Use a standard PH2 driver bit in your cordless drill, just as quick and super cheap.  I use that on 223Rem cases.

Thanks for your suggestion

have looked at the drill with different options including an actual staging tool (drill type) but tends to be inconsistent 

D

Just commenting - I know most people know this, but swaging reforms the primer pocket and drilling simply removes the material in the crimp until the primer fits. Swaging is therefore a superior method of crimp removal and would always be the preferred choice if you have the money to buy the tool set.

I have the RCBS set referred to and it works well. Another option could be the LEE APP Swager kit (£44 ish in the UK) but it is designed solely for the LEE APP press as an accessory. Again, I have a Deluxe Lee APP Press and wouldn't be without one for batch processing of brass.

For many reloading tasks there are multiple ways to achieve the same practical result - it often comes down to budget, time and sheer enjoyment of the technicalities!

On 02/06/2022 at 20:04, Blackjack said:

Just commenting - I know most people know this, but swaging reforms the primer pocket and drilling simply removes the material in the crimp until the primer fits. Swaging is therefore a superior method of crimp removal and would always be the preferred choice if you have the money to buy the tool set.

I have the RCBS set referred to and it works well. Another option could be the LEE APP Swager kit (£44 ish in the UK) but it is designed solely for the LEE APP press as an accessory. Again, I have a Deluxe Lee APP Press and wouldn't be without one for batch processing of brass.

For many reloading tasks there are multiple ways to achieve the same practical result - it often comes down to budget, time and sheer enjoyment of the technicalities!

Thanks Blackjack

Thats pretty much why I am looking to buy the swaging tool - not least to avoid primers falling out, not that I’ve had a problem with that.

If anyone has the RCBS Lee or similar for sale please let me know 

D