meet my new lab

38 minutes ago, nobbyathome said:

he looks lovely hypo eh ha ha it took mine 3 years to calm down

take your time plenty of patience and you have a friend for life 

you cant beat a black lab

rob

you can....a Choccy, but I am biased.   He looks the business. Keep on top of him and you have a winner and as said a friend for life.

Fantastic looking dog, as the owner of two black labs myself I congratulate you on finding this one, well done. My youngest, now 3 is still as mad as a box of frogs, but has hunting instincts and drive like a spaniel so I'm rather pleased she hasn't calmed down yet.

Great I listen and see these dogs with 'drive' but do they have an ignition switch?  I know of a lab locally which is supposed to being trained but is totally out of control and will not even walk to heel on a lead.  Start, stop, come to heel the first and only training needed initially.  Seen a few over the last 60 years and my Choccy lab Muffin was perhaps the very best dog I have owned although a Field Trial Judge said he would never make it because his legs where the wrong shape ....say no more. 

Best of luck with that handsom beast, he looks like he will do the job.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Great I listen and see these dogs with 'drive' but do they have an ignition switch?  I know of a lab locally which is supposed to being trained but is totally out of control and will not even walk to heel on a lead.  Start, stop, come to heel the first and only training needed initially.  Seen a few over the last 60 years and my Choccy lab Muffin was perhaps the very best dog I have owned although a Field Trial Judge said he would never make it because his legs where the wrong shape ....say no more. 

Best of luck with that handsom beast, he looks like he will do the job.

Although 'spirited', she is very obedient and totally under my control now. Just because she is mad, it doesnt mean she isnt listening. Her engine is well tempered by her desire to please me, so I suppose I'm very lucky, but I spent a good (and sometimes frustrating) 18 months drilling the basics until she was right. She's totally different to my older dog who was a joy to train and is so easy to work. I won't see another like her.

Brilliant. I was not putting you down at all but just pointing out  to all that you can have a 'busy' dog but it can still be well behaved.  I see so many these days when out on shoots, lovely dogs which have been allowed to do whatever they wanted to do and often disrupt other odediant dogs and there owners who make little or no effort to restrain them.  A gun bus is always a good indicator.  Hope you have lots of fun together.