Fun looking air rifle - Umarex Ruger 10/22

Houseplant

Looks alright! but I like older guns like my Diana mod 1 and Milbro bobcat there good enough junior garden plinkers and my Gamo paratrooper is even better also they have a historical value which should grow, anyhow.. my only Umarex is the Colt M4 and thou a good reproduction I dont rate them high for build quality which is a shame as they make good looking guns!

Edited by Chaz25

Yeah, the sensible choice would be a simple break barrel, but as this is going to to be nothing more than a plinker, I think the "semi-auto" feature would make it a lot more fun. It's a bit of a quandary. Don't want to spend a lot of money and could buy him a 22LR (for use under direct supervision). That's how most kids start out here as firearms are still relatively accessible.

8 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Yeah, the sensible choice would be a simple break barrel, but as this is going to to be nothing more than a plinker, I think the "semi-auto" feature would make it a lot more fun. It's a bit of a quandary. Don't want to spend a lot of money and could buy him a 22LR (for use under direct supervision). That's how most kids start out here as firearms are still relatively accessible.

I started out with air guns but was shooting at a club with 22lr by about 11 i would go with the 22lr  if ammo is cheap you way.

I guess so, the CO2 cartridges work out to under GBP1 per 50 shots, so still cheap shooting. The 1077 is available here, so another to consider. I was just thinking a PCP would an alternative as I already have dive cylinders, but purchase price would be a lot higher.  

On 28/05/2022 at 10:49, Houseplant said:

Looking for a low power air rifle for my young son to get started shooting. Came across the Umarex Ruger 10/22. It's semi-auto and looks like a fun plinker! Seem to get about 50 shots out one CO2 cartridge. Any experience or thoughts? 

Are you restricted on power for air rifles in NZ?

Just now, Fisheruk said:

Are you restricted on power for air rifles in NZ?

Yes and no. The law is quite sensible in my opinion. Anything goes for springers and CO2 airguns. No Firearms Licence (FAL) required. In reality, the more powerful springers are hard to cock, wreck scopes with recoil and are terribly inaccurate before they shake themselves apart. A FAL is required for all PCP airguns. 

Just now, Houseplant said:

Yes and no. The law is quite sensible in my opinion. Anything goes for springers and CO2 airguns. No Firearms Licence (FAL) required. In reality, the more powerful springers are hard to cock, wreck scopes with recoil and are terribly inaccurate before they shake themselves apart. A FAL is required for all PCP airguns. 

In the England and Wales we are limited to sub 12 ft/lb energy for all air rifles including PCP, without a Firearms Certificate, (FAC) Anything more powerful requires a FAC. Not too difficult to get a FAC for air rifle if you have land to shoot over no criminal records resulting in custodial sentencing and doctor’s certification no mental health issues which would be considered dangerous. So what maximum sort of energy could you get out of the CO2 rifle?

19 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

I'm not an expert by any means, just came across the Umarex rifle and thought it would be a fun plinker for my son. They all seem to be around 5 ft.lb.

Yes, I use to get about 20 useful shots at 11 ft/lb from a QB78, but that took 2x co2 cartridges.