Any point in buying a new gun

Have been pondering buying a new gun for a while, am recently retired and my limp sum is itching to be spent!

However, with all of the changes that are going to occur some time in the next six years or so is there any point in investing a reasonable amount in a new gun. 

Am thing of sending £8k plus what ever I get trade in for a good quality 12 or 20 to be used for clays, pigeons, inland geese and a few trips to the coast. 

Should I stick with my current Beretta 690-3 or upgrade? TIA

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally if I shot well with the Beretta, I’d keep that for clays and pigeons, and get myself a half decent auto for the others. 
Shooting and legislation is always changing and I can’t see why anything that is ongoing or proposed for shooting would have any effect on what I bought. 

Really, really don't want to rain on your parade. However, in view of my recent experience just check wherever you're thinking of shopping is still doing trade-ins. Consequently, for £8k I'd be inclined to keep it well away from the coast and keep what you're probably going to get next to nothing for for that purpose

If was was tempted I would go for a Fabarm, proofed to 1630 bar, will take steel even at full choke, and not a lot of money, for the money you are looking to spend you could buy a pair😊

Edited by Mr.T

2 hours ago, Mr.T said:

If was was tempted I would go for a Fabarm, proofed to 1630 bar, will take steel even at full choke, and not a lot of money, for the money you are looking to spend you could buy a pair😊

Have looked at Fabarms owned by pals who shoot clays with them and dont like the look or feel at all. 

38 minutes ago, grahamch said:

Have looked at Fabarms owned by pals who shoot clays with them and dont like the look or feel at all. 

Each to their own, I admit they don’t look like a Beretta SO or even a EELL but the one I had a go with balanced nicely and smashed clays, plus you can use it with steel and tight chokes if needed, for a lot less money than other guns that are limited with steel shot and chokes. 

personally i would keep the £8k in the bank, continue to use your beretta and then wait and see how it all unfolds, we could be paying £400 plus for a thousand cartridges and 50p each to shoot clay in a few years, then very likely a recession on top so could be plenty of bargains to be had then.

however only you know if it is an itch that you must scratch.

Edited by rbrowning2

Yep, there's no cure other than spending money or trying-before-buying and being disappointed. After getting to nirvana of one rimfire, one shotgun and one centrefire, I got the itch and just had to get another gun. It didn't work out as intended, but the newcomer is now the firm favourite. 

It depends entirely what you are looking at. Some classic guns will maintain value over time and possibly increase despite what is happening. I would not be taking a gun in your price range on the shore. Buy something cheap and cheerful for this. Your money does nothing in the bank still so why not get pleasure out of it by using a nice gun?

If I were in your position I'd get myself one of the higher-end semis, possibly in synthentic stock, for the geese and trips to the coast.  Beretta, Browning or Benelli.  Can be secondhand too, though the premium S/As don't tend to suffer from depreciation as much as other shotguns.  Keep the 690 and bide your time.

If the 8K gun feels good and is a proven hitter, then why not just enjoy owning and shooting with it? If it is a contemporary design, it will be HP steel proof anyway. For me I would want to put a demo gun through its paces before purchase….or friend’s gun if they own one. As others have said though, get a semi for the salt marsh, preferably one that’s simple to strip and clean. 

I personaly would leave the money in the bank or at least look elsewhere to spend it. After a lifetime of spending more money than i care to remember on shotguns and rifles i am now much more conservative in my approach to the guns i own or aspire to own.

The Laws are changing and not for the better imo,  i can not see any curtailing of the steady hemorrhaging of rights and tightening of this and that aspect of gun ownership and what it requires and just what hoops need negotiation to retain the right to own such things.

I can not see me ever buying another gun as long as i live i wont be stopping any of my shooting activities, but will be using what i got and spending the residual cash on the shooting itself and not yet more equipment to do it with.  

I have sold anything i felt was excessive or i did not utilize very often and of course only when that gun was actually going to raise worthwhile cash.

2 hours ago, B B said:

I personaly would leave the money in the bank or at least look elsewhere to spend it. After a lifetime of spending more money than i care to remember on shotguns and rifles i am now much more conservative in my approach to the guns i own or aspire to own.

The Laws are changing and not for the better imo,  i can not see any curtailing of the steady hemorrhaging of rights and tightening of this and that aspect of gun ownership and what it requires and just what hoops need negotiation to retain the right to own such things.

I can not see me ever buying another gun as long as i live i wont be stopping any of my shooting activities, but will be using what i got and spending the residual cash on the shooting itself and not yet more equipment to do it with.  

I have sold anything i felt was excessive or i did not utilize very often and of course only when that gun was actually going to raise worthwhile cash.

So you honestly think there’s no point in any of us buying a new gun then….?

Perhaps a little ‘glass half empty’ BB.

Worst case scenario is that we’ll all be using steel in 5 or so years - not too drastic. Chin up…🙂

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

So you honestly think there’s no point in any of us buying a new gun then….?

Worst case scenario is that we’ll all be using steel in 5 or so years - not too drastic. Chin up…🙂

My post that you quoted commenced .. I personally. YOMV. 

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

And as for steel.? I have been shooting it (Reloads) for most of my shooting for 20years or more and have zero concerns about using it for everything. Its more than capable  .

9 minutes ago, B B said:

And as for steel.? I have been shooting it (Reloads) for most of my shooting for 20years or more and have zero concerns about using it for everything. Its more than capable  .

17 minutes ago, B B said:

My post that you quoted commenced .. I personally. YOMV. 

Yes your personal opinion….and I shared mine. Usually thing on a chat forum. What does YOMV mean?

14 hours ago, B B said:

I personaly would leave the money in the bank

This, however, isn't the best advice.  If the OP has a lump sum, he needs to be getting professional advice as to what to do with his money, as with inflation (by some measures) hitting 10%, the lump sum is reducing at an alarming rate just sitting in the bank.

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

This, however, isn't the best advice.  If the OP has a lump sum, he needs to be getting professional advice as to what to do with his money, as with inflation (by some measures) hitting 10%, the lump sum is reducing at an alarming rate just sitting in the bank.

You’re quite right, good financial advice is important. Here’s are some further thoughts for what it’s worth. I don’t think an 8K spend will starve the OP, especially if he has a good gun to part ex’ - perhaps reducing his spend to circa 6K. Besides, a second hand gun from one of the top makers has been an excellent investment in recent years….. outpacing the FTSE 100. 

Example. A friend of mine started  shooting (clays) with me perhaps 4 years ago. He bought a new basic grade Beretta Silver Pigeon sporter for £1,250. A good second hand one was then £950. Now the new ones are selling for £1,700 and the good used ones for about £1,350. The good used example has increased by 42%. As it is, he could still sell his gun and not loose a penny. 

My get out statement if anything goes wrong however: ‘prediction is very difficult, especially about the future’……..🙂

Apologies.  I could've been clearer, my comments re seeking expert advice was based me assuming that £8k is just a small part of a much larger lump sum.

And I agree, guns can be a good investment, but like art or classic cars, you're either a collector, or an investor.  Use on the foreshore generally precludes getting top dollar, hence my suggestion to the OP to treat himself to a higher end semi-auto.  Pleasurable to shoot even heavy loads (YOMD), less likely to suffer as a result of its operating environment, and seem to suffer less from depreciation than new O/Us.

47 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Apologies.  I could've been clearer, my comments re seeking expert advice was based me assuming that £8k is just a small part of a much larger lump sum.

And I agree, guns can be a good investment, but like art or classic cars, you're either a collector, or an investor.  Use on the foreshore generally precludes getting top dollar, hence my suggestion to the OP to treat himself to a higher end semi-auto.  Pleasurable to shoot even heavy loads (YOMD), less likely to suffer as a result of its operating environment, and seem to suffer less from depreciation than new O/Us.

No apologies necessary. Yes agreed - using a posh gun on the foreshore wouldn’t be a great way to care for your investment. Clays and pigeons maybe. A good repeater, with shims and variable recoil pads for fitting, could be a really exiting purchase. Let’s face it, a new gun is always a thrill, whatever it is. Would still seriously recommend ‘try before buy’….. for any gun…!!

YOMD……sorry couldn’t resist…..🙂