Any point in buying a new gun

On 29/05/2022 at 14:57, grahamch said:

Have been pondering buying a new gun for a while, am recently retired and my limp sum is itching to be spent!

However, with all of the changes that are going to occur some time in the next six years or so is there any point in investing a reasonable amount in a new gun. 

Am thing of sending £8k plus what ever I get trade in for a good quality 12 or 20 to be used for clays, pigeons, inland geese and a few trips to the coast. 

Should I stick with my current Beretta 690-3 or upgrade? TIA

Wait. See what happens. The ONLY thing I'd "punt" on would be good quality .410" side by side ejector shotguns of AYA, Arrieta or Ugartechea make and less confidently so pre-1925 made guns. I personally sold my own Boss (made in 1922) as I fear that the market for such will collapse. I hear all the wise words that "steel for 2 1/2" is available" but if there is an issue of barrel damage or barrel dimension changes on a best London gun it is £10,000 plus for a new set of barrels by the maker. It is not a risk no matter how remote I wish to take and I'm not paying £1.00 per shot to pepper clean empty air with bismuth.

On 29/05/2022 at 18:54, rbrowning2 said:

personally i would keep the £8k in the bank, continue to use your beretta and then wait and see how it all unfolds, we could be paying £400 plus for a thousand cartridges and 50p each to shoot clay in a few years, then very likely a recession on top so could be plenty of bargains to be had then.

however only you know if it is an itch that you must scratch.

That is wisdom!

Edited by enfieldspares

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Wait. See what happens. The ONLY thing I'd "punt" on would be good quality .410" side by side ejector shotguns of AYA, Arrieta or Ugartechea make and less confidently so pre-1925 made guns. I personally sold my own Boss (made in 1922) as I fear that the market for such will collapse. I hear all the wise words that "steel for 2 1/2" is available" but if there is an issue of barrel damage or barrel dimension changes on a best London gun it is £10,000 plus for a new set of barrels by the maker. It is not a risk no matter how remote I wish to take and I'm not paying £1.00 per shot to pepper clean empty air with bismuth.

That is wisdom!

What makes you think a quality .410 is worth a punt, genuinely interested to hear your views?

I'm truly baffled by the apparent contradiction of @enfieldspares post.  On the one hand; don't buy an valuable antique (above the OP's budget!) that may be devalued and/or damaged by a looming ban on lead shot.  On the other, invest in an expensive gun of a calibre that, likely, will suffer the most from a lead ban?

9 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I'm truly baffled by the apparent contradiction of @enfieldspares post.  On the one hand; don't buy an valuable antique (above the OP's budget!) that may be devalued and/or damaged by a looming ban on lead shot.  On the other, invest in an expensive gun of a calibre that, likely, will suffer the most from a lead ban?

Yes I was puzzled too. The only thing I can put it down to - is that Avery one has their ‘thing’. That is to say, a special something they want to buy, for which all sensible rationale is thrown aside. We all have them. 

2 hours ago, Fellside said:

Yes I was puzzled too. The only thing I can put it down to - is that Avery one has their ‘thing’. That is to say, a special something they want to buy, for which all sensible rationale is thrown aside. We all have them. 

I meant ‘every one’. Predictive text….??!!

6 hours ago, button said:

What makes you think a quality .410 is worth a punt, genuinely interested to hear your views?

I think that there either will be an exemption from the lead shot ban for the .410", or if there isn't, then fairly priced bismuth .410" cartridges will be less than bismuth cartridges in 12, 16 or 20 bore. So it is, yes, a "punt". But I think at least favourable odds. I think that they are (the non-steel proofed made guns) the only gauge of side by side game gun, the .410", that will keep its value or indeed increase its value in the post-HSE REACH years.

Edited by enfieldspares

10 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I think that there either will be an exemption from the lead shot ban for the .410", or if there isn't, then fairly priced bismuth .410" cartridges will be less than bismuth cartridges in 12, 16 or 20 bore. So it is, yes, a "punt". But I think at least favourable odds. I think that they are (the non-steel proofed made guns) the only gauge of side by side game gun, the .410", that will keep its value or indeed increase its value in the post-HSE REACH years.

I don’t think you will be right on the bismuth price 

maybe home loading but not factory loads 

2AC1D495-CE99-49D1-A15B-591EAF2C0502.jpeg

46 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Personally I doubt there’ll be an exemption for .410.
I can’t think why there would or should be really. Any exemption would do nothing to justify the stated reason for a lead ban, so I can’t see it happening. 

44 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I don’t think you will be right on the bismuth price 

maybe home loading but not factory loads 

2AC1D495-CE99-49D1-A15B-591EAF2C0502.jpeg

Yes. Certainly not at all "fairly priced" are they! But, yes, for homeloading or a chance for a small commercial concern to bespoke load there may be a chance of such being priced with honesty.

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes. Certainly not at all "fairly priced" are they! But, yes, for homeloading or a chance for a small commercial concern to bespoke load there may be a chance of such being priced with honesty.

Hopefully they will realise that and reduce the cost 

there is a alternative if you fancy plastic wads 

A9C65DBB-BEDA-4FA0-97D9-6FE73D69413E.jpeg

On 29/05/2022 at 14:57, grahamch said:

Have been pondering buying a new gun for a while, am recently retired and my limp sum is itching to be spent!

However, with all of the changes that are going to occur some time in the next six years or so is there any point in investing a reasonable amount in a new gun. 

Am thing of sending £8k plus what ever I get trade in for a good quality 12 or 20 to be used for clays, pigeons, inland geese and a few trips to the coast. 

Should I stick with my current Beretta 690-3 or upgrade? TIA

I think as long as you buy steel shot proof and multi choke, no reason not to buy a new gun. I would be looking at 12 rather than 20 maybe as well, all this non toxic mallarky might not go well with the 20 gauges for cartridge choice and cost.

Go for it,buy the new gun. if you don't you will always wish that you had.

As for exemptions for certain calibres.just look how the handgun ban went,RF pistols were safe initially.(yes I know that we are not talking about a ban on weapons,just drawing a similarity).

The era of cheap goods is for the most part behind us now. In today’s economy - those who dither pay more. I would urge anyone who is thinking about a new gun to buy now - rather than pay a higher price later. As per comments above, make sure it’s future proof. 

It’s easy to spend someone else’s money and say buy it 

I’m thinking there’s plenty of nice stuff for 5 /6 K 

mirouke mk11 

browning crown 

eell 

all would be good choices 

the extra 2k won’t buy you a better new gun although 8 k will get a nice second hand one 

all the best with what ever you decide 👍

3 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

It’s easy to spend someone else’s money and say buy it 

I’m thinking there’s plenty of nice stuff for 5 /6 K 

mirouke mk11 

browning crown 

eell 

all would be good choices 

the extra 2k won’t buy you a better new gun although 8 k will get a nice second hand one 

all the best with what ever you decide 👍

Agreed. Plenty of great guns for far less than 5K actually. However our OP clearly has an 8K budget for a certain gun - so presumably he’s counted his pocket money.

It would be interesting to know which gun he fancies….??