Jump to content

What is it?


CaptC
 Share

Recommended Posts

On my travels today I picked up this unusual tankard. 
The address on the bottom is 130 Regent Street which was Carrington &Co silver and jewellery makers. 
It’s stamped IBG with a Victorian crown above. EPGS AI

The offset handle is rosewood or ebony. Height 4.25" 

The monogram is T H - is it a hunting cup or “jigger” that contained the stirrup cup?

All answers appreciated. 
Thanks Capt C

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by CaptC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In 1731 sailors were given their first ‘official’ alcohol ration on board, decreed by the newly published Naval Code at the time (though since the first ships set sail there had always been booze on board). Crews were issued with either eight pints of beer per day, or a half pint of spirit, depending on what was available at the time. The favoured spirit of the fleet quickly became rum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

In 1731 sailors were given their first ‘official’ alcohol ration on board, decreed by the newly published Naval Code at the time (though since the first ships set sail there had always been booze on board). Crews were issued with either eight pints of beer per day, or a half pint of spirit, depending on what was available at the time. The favoured spirit of the fleet quickly became rum.

Interesting but I cannot see this item on a ship - nor is it old enough. I would think it's circa the 1920's. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Naval Grog was issued in (usually) copper utensils - I have contacted Hancocks who I believe, are now the owners of Carringtons. The monogram would give us the answer but haystacks and needles!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you - I could not find EPGS on my Google search - Incidentally, if the item was a measuring tool surely it would be marked as such? There are no markings in relation to contents

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, CaptC said:

Thank you - I could not find EPGS on my Google search - Incidentally, if the item was a measuring tool surely it would be marked as such? There are no markings in relation to contents

I have a vague idea it may be a coffee or chocolate/cocoa related item.  The longish wooden handle makes me think it may be for hot beverages, but that is all guesswork as chocolate pots usually have spouts; see here https://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm/index/2019-chocolate-pots-silver-items/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can I just say thank you to all who have contributed to my question - I really appreciate the interest!

There is no evidence looking inside the rim of there ever being a lid. Someone else suggested a Turkish style Cezve for hot coffee but the jury is still out as they say!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CaptC said:

Can I just say thank you to all who have contributed to my question - I really appreciate the interest!

There is no evidence looking inside the rim of there ever being a lid. Someone else suggested a Turkish style Cezve for hot coffee but the jury is still out as they say!

This is about the most interesting thread for ages 

to shortly deteriorate 🙄

when someone decides it for catching and storing ginger 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why ginger? Rumours gave started it might be for catching Cornish pixies 

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

A naval mess deck (officers) cocoa warmer

Now that’s good! Just needs the monogram deciphering

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Old farrier said:

This is about the most interesting thread for ages 

to shortly deteriorate 🙄

when someone decides it for catching and storing ginger 😂

You just had to go and do it didn't you 😁.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have a vague idea it may be a coffee or chocolate/cocoa related item.  The longish wooden handle makes me think it may be for hot beverages, but that is all guesswork as chocolate pots usually have spouts; see here https://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm/index/2019-chocolate-pots-silver-items/

 

yeah i was thinking coffee as well I'm sure we have similar at work in our showroom with the very first hand pulled commercial coffee machine will check

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...