Shooting glasses

dann boy

1 hour ago, dann boy said:

Hi all i am after some help 

I need to get some prescription shooting glasses have looked in to pilla and they are very Expensive wondering what other people use here 

thanks Dan 

Hello, Specsavers did mine for shooting and tinted yellow to see better, did not cost to much if I remember 

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Specsavers did mine for shooting and tinted yellow to see better, did not cost to much if I remember 

Mine also but I had them done in "snooker frames " to get a tilt on the lenses for a better centre of lens view.  Brown photo chromic also gives good results.

20 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Mine also but I had them done in "snooker frames " to get a tilt on the lenses for a better centre of lens view.  Brown photo chromic also gives good results.

Me too. Appreciate that we're all different and I found that I could just alter the nose pads a tad with no need to alter the lenses in the frame which I then dabbed with superglue as I found they could move with no conscious help from arthritic me. Brown also good for fishing.

Shooting buddy has just bought a set of shooting glasses with 4 different coloured lenses and a prescription insert. Specsavers supplied and fitted the prescription lenses to the frame insert. The set of shooting glasses was £30, plus the Specsavers bill.

Edited by Westley

I recently bought my first prescription shooting glasses from Optilabs. Their on line ordering and uploading my prescription was very simple. Turnaround was fast as they have their own lab.

Cost was around £160 with coated light yellow tint lenses. Very pleased with the glasses and the service, so happy to recommend them.

• 1 month later...

Late in the day but here's a tip - I bought new glasses from Specsavers and they'll offer another pair at half price (you might have to ask for this.) A shooting friend recommended Ultradrive glasses so I plumped for a pair and now use them most of the time.

Ultradrive lenses are formulated to increase contrast, imagine if you will, yellow lenses toned town with brown, great for shooting clays in all but dingy condtitions where I'll use my clear glasses. Although they are not sunglasses I use them for driving in bright conditions too.

Visually you get brightness from the yellow and contrast from the brown, drop in to Specsavers and ask to look at a non prescription Ultradrive sample lens to get an idea of colour. If you go for this option you get a pair of prescription shooting glasses for maybe £50/60

Edited by martinj

Are Ultradrive impact resistant and shatterproof? I've been hit hard right on the lens by an incoming lump of clay which chipped the lens and cracked the nose piece.

I'm in no doubt that wearing proper shooting glasses made from impact resistant polypropylene saved my eye. 

5 hours ago, Westward said:

Are Ultradrive impact resistant and shatterproof? I've been hit hard right on the lens by an incoming lump of clay which chipped the lens and cracked the nose piece.

I'm in no doubt that wearing proper shooting glasses made from impact resistant polypropylene saved my eye. 

I have seen so many near misses and know one lad that lost his right eye at shooting grounds during my shooting career of over 60 years. I will NOT even venture off the car park without my shooting glasses and a baseball cap. Please DO ensure whatever glasses you choose for shooting are up to the job. No amount of money can replace an eye  !

I have a baseball cap with a large black streak on the peak caused by a piece of clay. I keep it as a reminder.

Edited by Westley

On 01/06/2022 at 12:21, Westward said:

I recently bought my first prescription shooting glasses from Optilabs. Their on line ordering and uploading my prescription was very simple. Turnaround was fast as they have their own lab.

Cost was around £160 with coated light yellow tint lenses. Very pleased with the glasses and the service, so happy to recommend them.

I bought optilabs fishing glasses twenty years ago and still going strong! Also use for clays, brown prescription lenses

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...