Shipping container.

fse10

Hi gent's, any one used a shipping container as a workshop in their garden. If so did you need planning for it as it's not a permanent building.

I want to stick two next to each other and cut though and make one 20x16 workshop as will be cheaper then a block built . Will be 4ft from side of house and on a boundary with a bypass which has a verge of about 10ft between my fence & kerbside.

Regards.

1 hour ago, fse10 said:

Hi gent's, any one used a shipping container as a workshop in their garden. If so did you need planning for it as it's not a permanent building.

I want to stick two next to each other and cut though and make one 20x16 workshop as will be cheaper then a block built . Will be 4ft from side of house and on a boundary with a bypass which has a verge of about 10ft between my fence & kerbside.

Regards.

I would advise you to contact your local planning authority.

Firstly, Google permitted development and make sure your heights and distances from boundary fall within that.  Obviously your neighbour to the rear is unlikely to complain...

When you say cheaper: You have factored in the cost of getting them craned in?  You will need access for a large 17t+ lorry with HIAB.  Not a cheap proposition.

Further, shipping containers are designed for just that, shipping.  Condensation can be a real problem, and if it's for a workshop, your tools and equipment will rust unless you take special measures to protect them from it.  This isn't cheap either.

Yes, seems sense to contact your planning authority and have words with any neighbours overlooking the site.  Shipping containers can be sealed inside which does of course cost but nowhere near the cost of a brick and mortar building.  Lots of examples on youtube where young folk have built their homes from these containers.

If your intention is to site them permanently (as it appears you do) they are no longer classed as a temporary structure and therefore need planning permission.

Whether or not you would get away with it without permission usually depends on how well you get on with your neighbours or anyone else that can see them.

Containers aren't cheap, I heard of someone asking £5k for one 20' container recently. Shanghai has been locked down and they are in short supply again.

If it was such a great idea I think everyone would be doing it :)

Plenty of pitfalls mentioned above, condensation is the absolute biggest deal-breaker.  I suspect you'd have to do so much alteration to it the cost and time involved would cancel out the benefit of the "pre-formed" structure.  And after all's said and done you're still left with a naff looking metal monstrosity in your garden.

Have you ever tried to just casually "cut through" a shipping container?!!

I'd get it done properly.

Simply check the regs for sheds under permitted development. If you can put a good sized shed then I’d just put them in and clad them.  As long as you stick to 20ft and don’t go high cube then it should be fine.  Personally we don’t get condensation issues in ours and we deal with a lot of auctioneers who park them up and store antiques in them so I wonder if they already have a coating to reduce it.  They do make a good secure unit though

Meh, still do yourself a favour and read this (pdf) before you even contact them.  No point wasting your and their time with something that is obviously outwith the rules.

I would urge you treat planners like all other forms of governmental interaction, i.e.

1) They are on a need-to-know basis

2) All communication with them must be in writing.

After looking at cost's think i will go with blocks. As i can do it in stages. Will check to see if i need planning. I live on an end terrace and have a large L shaped garden so workshop will be to side of house out of view from any neighbours with only a 40mph bypass to my side. Thanks for the replies.

I can't offer any advice BUT the building in this photo is exactly what you've mentioned, two containers joined together with cladding and insulation, I walk the dog past every day and watching it get put together was petty interesting

I've just googled it and there are more photos here https://olivebranchgolf.co.uk/loftys-crazy-golf/

Picture30-2.jpg

Edited by Deker

i have two one as a workshop and one has a machine stored inside.the workshop is quite full has racking benches and cabinets inside.this does not suffer with condensation at all.the one with the machind in is a high cube and does get condensation i just leave the doors ajar for a few hours each day seems to work.as for planning if you ask the council they will undoubtedly say you need permission.as for craneage they will come on a hiab lorry.