Jeep Renegade

Old Boggy

I am still contemplating going from one car (old 3 door Rav4 used for shooting and a newer Suzuki, used for best) and having just one car for both.

The Jeep Renegade seems to fit the bill and I`ve seen one for sale on the Cinch website.

This particular one is a 2 Ltr. manual diesel 4x4 model first registered in March 2016. (probably manufactured in 2015)

However, reading various reviews, it seems that the 2015 and 2016 had many problems and were generally regarded as unreliable, although sometimes these reviews can be heavily biased.

This particular one has a low mileage of just 15700 miles with 3 owners which I find a little unusual. I`ve done a check on the MOTs and it appears to have done just under 3000 miles each year. Being somewhat cynical, I believe that the low mileage could be due to the fact that the car was off the road (i.e. in for repair) more than it was being used. I may of course be totally wrong on this and all may be kosher and above board. Unfortunately, with Cinch, they do not disclose the garage where the car is for sale, so no further information can be gleaned.

My question is, has anyone any experience of the Renegade, particularly around these years of manufacture, or indeed having used Cinch.

There was a PW member who did own one and gave it a good review, but I cannot remember who it was or what year etc.

Thanks in advance of any replies.

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I am still contemplating going from one car (old 3 door Rav4 used for shooting and a newer Suzuki, used for best) and having just one car for both.

The Jeep Renegade seems to fit the bill and I`ve seen one for sale on the Cinch website.

This particular one is a 2 Ltr. manual diesel 4x4 model first registered in March 2016. (probably manufactured in 2015)

However, reading various reviews, it seems that the 2015 and 2016 had many problems and were generally regarded as unreliable, although sometimes these reviews can be heavily biased.

This particular one has a low mileage of just 15700 miles with 3 owners which I find a little unusual. I`ve done a check on the MOTs and it appears to have done just under 3000 miles each year. Being somewhat cynical, I believe that the low mileage could be due to the fact that the car was off the road (i.e. in for repair) more than it was being used. I may of course be totally wrong on this and all may be kosher and above board. Unfortunately, with Cinch, they do not disclose the garage where the car is for sale, so no further information can be gleaned.

My question is, has anyone any experience of the Renegade, particularly around these years of manufacture, or indeed having used Cinch.

There was a PW member who did own one and gave it a good review, but I cannot remember who it was or what year etc.

Thanks in advance of any replies.

They are fundamentally just a fiat 500x 

On 30/05/2022 at 18:55, db135 said:

They are fundamentally just a fiat 500x 

So does that make them good or bad. I`ve got no knowledge or experience whatsoever of Fiat cars.

My pal who used to have an auto-electrics business said that FIAT stood for `Fix it again Tuesday` :whistling:

OB

Where these made in Austria ?  I only have knowledge of the ones I have driven in the USA circa late 80s early 90s and yes they did the job.  Afraid it is a lottery these days as cars are so computer/electrics reliant they are in my view not as reliant as cars made pre 90s. My Jag X Type is a cracking car to drive and ride in but constantly flashes the engine problem light when it is the computer having a bad day or a sensor in the exhaust pipe feels a bit off that week.

If you can't see it or drive it then don't part with money before that happens and question the mileage and see the reaction.

11 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

Yes I run a 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 petrol. Great little car, but thirsty but loverly to drive

I did have a 3 door Grand Vitara 2.4 petrol and regret now upgrading to a Suzuki SX4 S-Cross. Both were/are nice to drive. Had a few Suzukis and have never had any problems with them, so I think that I’ve answered my own question and as Dave-G says, stick with what you know.

Thanks for your replies.

OB

I have a 2016/17 Jeep Renegade 2 Ltr. manual diesel 4x4, had it five years coming on six and touch wood no problems so far, it does the job I need it for and is very good on fuel but like all European cars I don't think they are as good as some of the Japanese cars.

Had a few Suzukis and have never had any problems with them

My wife had an Suzuki SX4 for 6.5 years, which is a record for us. One hour is our shortest ownership. We have had 114 cars and the Suzuki was the most reliable and cheapest to run. Owned from 5k, until we got rid with 65k on the clock and wish we had kept it. Nothing wrong with it, just wanted something newer.

21 hours ago, old'un said:

I have a 2016/17 Jeep Renegade 2 Ltr. manual diesel 4x4, had it five years coming on six and touch wood no problems so far, it does the job I need it for and is very good on fuel but like all European cars I don't think they are as good as some of the Japanese cars.

Just remembered that it was you Old’un who gave me much information previously about the Renegade, for which I thank you. Pleased that you have had no problems with it.

OB