Turkey

Bigbob

Any tip for Marrakesh in Turkey I fly out on Saturday Some are saying as its all inclusive stay at the hotel beach as the shops are narrow and the shop keepers wont let you out till you buy something , And the bantering is that bad its like a form of bullying and the gear is knock of designer wear . others are saying theres a couple of good shops ?. 

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

Any tip for Marrakesh in Turkey I fly out on Saturday Some are saying as its all inclusive stay at the hotel beach as the shops are narrow and the shop keepers wont let you out till you buy something , And the bantering is that bad its like a form of bullying and the gear is knock of designer wear . others are saying theres a couple of good shops ?. 

I’ll give you a tip.

DO NOT trust the Turks!

Dreadful place ,they tried to lock my boy who was 10 years old at the time in a shop until he picked something for me to buy !  Unfortunately for them my foot was in the door pushed my way in told them in some colourful language and hand gestures what was going to happen,they started to 💩 themselves as a fuss can attract the police attention who take harassment to holiday makers very seriously 😐 

As stated don’t trust them with anything,they only want your money, apart from that the weather and food is great 

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Dreadful place ,they tried to lock my boy who was 10 years old at the time in a shop until he picked something for me to buy !  Unfortunately for them my foot was in the door pushed my way in told them in some colourful language and hand gestures what was going to happen,they started to 💩 themselves as a fuss can attract the police attention who take harassment to holiday makers very seriously 😐 

As stated don’t trust them with anything,they only want your money, apart from that the weather and food is great 

When and where was this ?

I can say , hand on heart, in the 15 years Ive been going to Turkey, I have never had an experience like this.
In fact, I only have positive things to say about the Turks, and the country, I would much rather be there , than Spain, France or Italy.

The thing is , Ive never been to Marmaris , and when Ive asked Turkish people about it , they have described it as the Turkish version of Blackpool.

Im off again in 3 weeks to the delightful Olu Deniz, which is absolutely beautiful , my 3rd visit, thats if  the lack of organisation at the airport doesnt stop me !

15 hours ago, oowee said:

Turkey will be brilliant with the price of the Lira

Unfortunately, the exchange rate has little reflection on the cost of things in the resorts, they simply put the lira prices up to compensate.
Its still cheap, but the £ being  3 or 4 x stronger , just means that beer is 3 or 4 x dearer in lira.
That said , just pay in £ s , they much prefer it.

12 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Aye its Marmaris the phone seems to go into a mind of its own LOL they already changed to flight time nice and early so i should beat the queue 

As said, Marmaris is very busy. It may be worthwhile taking a boat trip (small open ferry boats) to Icmeler a bit quieter or further round to Turunc, a lovely little beach resort, or it was when we last visited 15 or so years ago. From Turunc you can either walk or get another small boat to an even more remote beach with just a bar, but cannot remember the name of it.

When we first went to Turkey, Gumbet had just five very small hotels surrounded by farmland and was a short walk over the hill down into Bodrum where a day out for the two of us including a barbecue lunch on a gullet cost £12.00.  Think it’s a bit different now.

OB

20 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I can say , hand on heart, in the 15 years Ive been going to Turkey, I have never had an experience like this.
In fact, I only have positive things to say about the Turks, and the country, I would much rather be there , than Spain, France or Italy.

The thing is , Ive never been to Marmaris , and when Ive asked Turkish people about it , they have described it as the Turkish version of Blackpool.

Im off again in 3 weeks to the delightful Olu Deniz, which is absolutely beautiful , my 3rd visit, thats if  the lack of organisation at the airport doesnt stop me !

Unfortunately, the exchange rate has little reflection on the cost of things in the resorts, they simply put the lira prices up to compensate.
Its still cheap, but the £ being  3 or 4 x stronger , just means that beer is 3 or 4 x dearer in lira.

18 years ago,have been since to challis beach /Fethiye without the kids (all grown up now) but they remember the incident very clearly.

it only takes one thing to put me off,gave it another chance but it’s not for me.had been to bodrum gumert before the incident that’s why we decided to go back .

just my own opinion,we all have our opinions the father in law has just come back loves Fethiye 

14 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

where a day out for the two of us including a barbecue lunch on a gullet cost £12.00.  Think it’s a bit different now.

More like £25 now , but still excellent value.
Partner recently went to Kefalonia, a half day boat trip, with no food was 50 Euros !

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

18 years ago,have been since to challis beach /Fethiye without the kids (all grown up now) but they remember the incident very clearly.

it only takes one thing to put me off,gave it another chance but it’s not for me.had been to bodrum gumert before the incident that’s why we decided to go back .

just my own opinion,we all have our opinions the father in law has just come back loves Fethiye 

I wouldnt let one incident in one place put me off an entire country*, like I say , never been to Marmaris , and no intention to, but everywhere I have been , Id go again.
I like the food , the people , and its a beautiful country, the bonus is your money goes a long way too.

*Disclaimer, the exception is Morocco, Ive been to 2 places there , and have no intention of ever going back, disgusting country.

14 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

As said, Marmaris is very busy. It may be worthwhile taking a boat trip (small open ferry boats) to Icmeler a bit quieter or further round to Turunc, a lovely little beach resort, or it was when we last visited 15 or so years ago. From Turunc you can either walk or get another small boat to an even more remote beach with just a bar, but cannot remember the name of it.

When we first went to Turkey, Gumbet had just five very small hotels surrounded by farmland and was a short walk over the hill down into Bodrum where a day out for the two of us including a barbecue lunch on a gullet cost £12.00.  Think it’s a bit different now.

OB

Yep, I remember Benidorm when it was like that. Never been to Turkey but comments from friends indicate for you to be careful .

23 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Just now, A.R.P. said:

Rewulf,i have been to alde niz 4 times and never had a bad holiday.Agree with the airport coment.

Well dropped the rover off at the airport parking for it opening at 7 am , Booked in at 07.20 when the desk opened was sitting at the departed  gate in weatherspoons eating a breakfast with a pint by 08.05 two pints later on the plane for four hours then a luxury limo for 90 minutes for £80 for four of us to the hotel and as its 5 star it’s got all I want and haven’t left yet lol lol 

3 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Well dropped the rover off at the airport parking for it opening at 7 am , Booked in at 07.20 when the desk opened was sitting at the departed  gate in weatherspoons eating a breakfast with a pint by 08.05 two pints later on the plane for four hours then a luxury limo for 90 minutes for £80 for four of us to the hotel and as its 5 star it’s got all I want and haven’t left yet lol lol 

Are you sure you’re in Turkey? 🙂