Turkey

Bigbob

You might be out there dug in by now.  We've been to Kushadasi x2 Bodrum, Gumbet, Side and other places.  From my experience the Turks are really  nice, respectful and honest.  People are people and you have to be as careful here as anywhere. When we were in Kushadasi we were travelling into town on the Dolmus and passengers were getting on and off.  The Dolmus went about a hundred yards along the road and it stopped.  The driver started blowing his hooter and beckoned to some German tourists who had just gotten off the bus.  The driver handed the tourists a handfull of paper money.  They must have given the wrong money in payment. The bus drove off leaving a stunned amazed tourist on the pavement. Another example was a British tourist who left their camera on the back seat of a taxi.   The tourist didn't expect to se the camera again but a few days later they were walking along and the taxi driver pulled up and gave them the camera back.  Ok the traders will try to sell but they aren't  allowed to harrass like thet used to do.  AND  The standard of driving is a million times better than in Greece.  they give way to other road users and you don't get them undertaking round blind bends ect.  There aren't  roadside accident memorials every quarter mile like in Greece.   Have a great holiday and a safe trip.

The other place where we`ve had some good holidays is Turgetreis. Had one family holiday with 15 of us and had a really great time.

All the restaurants were excellent value with good food. Had many boat trips which were all good value. Found the Turks very friendly and helpful.

It`s a holiday where all the family members young and old remember fondly.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

We were last in Turkey at Hisarönü and was there when Dianna died - found it ideal as you could catch a dolmus to either Olu Deniz and Fethiye (that may have been a taxi) - When we went - late August into September - the lagoon was oppressive with the humidity - but up the top you don't get that. Fithiye was great for fish restaurants.

We went Marmaris on our first holiday to Turkey - liked it accept for walking along the path next to the beach as you would constantly get harassed by restaurant staff to go into their places for a drink or food - we became quite good at navigating the back streets to get to where we wanted.

Cracking deals for gold jewelery back in the day - 14ct - and far better quality than you get in the UK..

It’s maybe a bit different here as it got 5 stars and you got your bracelet on everything top grade and free we can leave the hotel cross a path and we are on the hotels beach and there you get hawkers trying to sell you everything but the hotel staff chase them off . The hotel staff are great and go out there way to get you anything you want and can even remember what you drink from all the other guests no bad for somebody on £2 a hour 

Be a good fellow and squeeze a note or two into the palms of the staff, doesn't have to be a fortune.  They work long hours for not a lot. I tip the room maid , the security at the gate,  The people that are in the background.  If you drop the waiter a little  favour they will get your dinner table ready and they will be there topping your glass up even before it's half empty. It's just a nice thing to do and they appreciate it.

5 minutes ago, Minky said:

Be a good fellow and squeeze a note or two into the palms of the staff, doesn't have to be a fortune.  They work long hours for not a lot. I tip the room maid , the security at the gate,  The people that are in the background.  If you drop the waiter a little  favour they will get your dinner table ready and they will be there topping your glass up even before it's half empty. It's just a nice thing to do and they appreciate it.

This. We left a fair amount of money for the hotel staff on leaving, reducing one of the female waitresses to tears. They work ling hours for peanuts, which is why many of them have friends and relatives over here. 

Turkey is a stunning country, just get yourself a hire car and get up into the interior. I have been twice,the first time a two centre based firstly at Istanbul and Side for the second week.I drove 3 thousand miles on both holidays and think that is the best way to see a country.The inland infrastructure is basic and you do need to check your hotel standards, if you are any further west than Alania you are in a tourist trap area and will be ripped off but if you do some driving and get up into the hills the people are fantastic, usually they have not met the worst of what Britain exports people wise. It is a huge country and I would recommend, Cappadosia, Lake Van, Manafgat,The cotton castles, anywhere that keeps you away from the package tourist areas really. When I first went there even the now busy areas were beautiful but unfortunately things change and not always for the better..In my former life as a travel agent I  used to tell the noisy types that they wouldn't like Turkey, to try to keep it the special place it was, but not all agents are sympathetic  to areas and thats why they end up like the costas. From Auntie. 

3 hours ago, Prospero said:

I'm off there on a family holiday in a couple of weeks. Never been before. Got one of the 5* all inclusive jobs in Antalya, 14 of us. Should be good, fingers crossed.

Some really nice hotels in Antalya, allegedly the best in Turkey, some very good golf too if youre into it.

Hospitality and friendliness will far exceed what youve seen in most other European countries, enjoy.

Can’t beat it£100gets you 2000 lira and your drinks poured as they see you arriving at your table you never get the empty glass can I have another please if your down to your last mouthful there’s a fresh drink ready for you and the food the cover everything and it’s a buffet as much or  a little as you want the only bad thing I hang out at the pool all day and the folk from the spa try to sell you treatments every day and I float round the lazy river and every time you go under a bridge the hotel photographer shouts photo ,photo  but the drinks are poured free hand and the food covers everything 

1 minute ago, Bigbob said:

Can’t beat it£100gets you 2000 lira and your drinks poured as they see you arriving at your table you never get the empty glass can I have another please if your down to your last mouthful there’s a fresh drink ready for you and the food the cover everything and it’s a buffet as much or  a little as you want the only bad thing I hang out at the pool all day and the folk from the spa try to sell you treatments every day and I float round the lazy river and every time you go under a bridge the hotel photographer shouts photo ,photo  but the drinks are poured free hand and the food covers everything 

You'll get fat ! 

Enjoy :good:

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

And that’s with a lighted taper. 

Nope I found out I preferred the taper for my ears I got the wax put on my ears and he covered them

it hurt when he was peeling the wax off the lobes never mind the inner ear but a hour in the pool helped lol lol