Lathe tooling

la bala

36 minutes ago, old'un said:

Can I ask why you need carbide tooling?

I buy a fair bit from this company….https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/CCMT_O6_CARBIDE_INSERT.HTML

Kits..https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=inserts carbide holder tool&PN=6pc-Indexable-turning-tool-set-10mm-TURNING-FACING-BORING---INSERTS--78576.html#SID=567

You may find this site useful….I have...http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/page2.html

Thanks old'un, will have a look, and the answer to your question, we wouldnt have a clue how to grind the tool steel tools.

3 minutes ago, amateur said:

I buy them off eBay at very reasonable prices, both inserts and brazed carbide tools.

I use carbide because I am mainly turning stainless, and, of late, titanium and they last much longer.

Thanks amateur, will different suppliers inserts fit the same tooling.

19 minutes ago, la bala said:

Thanks amateur, will different suppliers inserts fit the same tooling.

Carbide tools have id numbers, so as long as you buy the same coded holder and inserts, you should be OK.

5 minutes ago, la bala said:

Thanks again.  The only time I used a lathe was at school in 58 so it could be interesting lol.

The first thing to do is to ensure that it is absolutely level and bolted down true - YouTube has some videos on this - and do a test cut on some ground silver steel before you try to do anything precise.

Creating swarf is addictive!

6 minutes ago, amateur said:

The first thing to do is to ensure that it is absolutely level and bolted down true - YouTube has some videos on this - and do a test cut on some ground silver steel before you try to do anything precise.

Creating swarf is addictive!

:good:

This is a good video on carbide tool inserts, bit long but very informative...

9 minutes ago, la bala said:

Very informative indeed old'un but after watching it I have quite a head ache.😂.

:lol:

think you should have a go at grinding your own HSS bits, its not that difficult, just make sure you grind the bit so it has a cutting edge, can you grind a drill bit?

Just one other thing, when you clamp the tool holder on the lathe make sure the top of the tool bit is at the same level as the center of your work piece, you may need some shims under your tool holder.

36 minutes ago, old'un said:

..... Just one other thing, when you clamp the tool holder on the lathe make sure the top of the tool bit is at the same level as the center of your work piece, you may need some shims under your tool holder.

The trick is to lightly trap a piece of shim between the tool point and the work. If the shim points up vertical, the tool tip is dead centre.

A time saver is to get a tool-holder with an adjustment screw.

Did I mention that tool buying is also addictive.

Finding the centre of a work piece, never used the shim idea, all I do is run a face cut to the centre and adjust accordingly.

Yep, alternative to shimming is a tool holder with adjustable height.

Yep, I think making things from metal is so rewarding, I was doing it for 50 years, and its surprising the amount of tools you never need but you just got to have them just encase.

Supremely jealous of your new addition! Good luck and enjoy! One tool to look out for to improve your surface finish, particularly on mild steel is a vertical shear tool.

One thing I would also advise you buy is either a leather apron or a good shop coat, and don't forget to roll the sleeves up, wear nothing below the elbow.

• 2 weeks later...