.17 Hornet

Whitester

I’ve just put in a variation for the above and was looking for rifle and mod recommendations.

Would love and Anchutz but they may be out of my price bracket so it’s between cz, Weihrauch and savage unless there are any others out there that I’ve missed.

As for a moderator I already have a wildcat evo but was wondering if I can get away with a smaller mod 

1 hour ago, Weihrauch17 said:

This I have an HW66 and a Panther, sublime.

I had the JM and the and reason that I don't still have it is because it was for mid range fox only and I was made aware of the Hornady 50 SPSX and so changed it for the Ruger No 1 with its 14 twist rate for which I reload.

I load 20 grain v-max heads with 11.2 grains with hogden’s 4198 powder and I have a 20 thou jump to lands did try different lengths but found out 20 thou suited rifle 

Whitester if you don’t reload can I have first bids on empty case’s please 

7 hours ago, wymberley said:

I had the JM and the and reason that I don't still have it is because it was for mid range fox only and I was made aware of the Hornady 50 SPSX and so changed it for the Ruger No 1 with its 14 twist rate for which I reload.

I use mine for short range Foxing < 100 yards on a small holding near housing and Crows, love it.  Very discreet.  Always fancied a Ruger Number 1, fantastic looking rifles.

Edited by Weihrauch17

Brilliant little calibre so accurate it’s unreal.I had a cz in 17 hornet a few years back and regretted selling it.

I got another variation for one recently and was looking to order another cz but they have now discontinued it.I was lucky enough to find an rfd that had a new cz varmint old stock and got a great deal on a complete set up.Already taken a few foxes with it 👍.

Edited by Green hornet

On 07/06/2022 at 08:48, wymberley said:

Purely out of interest, what do you need it for?

For long range rabbits/ covids . It’s a golf course and even though you could stalk in and you could use an hmr/22 lr a lot of the shots are 150 to 200 yards . A lot of the vantage points cover a lot of ground in different directions and to have the extra range makes sense. 

8 hours ago, Whitester said:

For long range rabbits/ covids . It’s a golf course and even though you could stalk in and you could use an hmr/22 lr a lot of the shots are 150 to 200 yards . A lot of the vantage points cover a lot of ground in different directions and to have the extra range makes sense. 

Also the reduction in possibility of a rico. Those little bullets break up very quickly although I did have some full metal jacket 18g ers which did bounce. I also had some 15grn and had to reduce the load because the bullets would burn up about 30ft out with a full load in the 17Rem but bet they would have been mustard in the Hornet.  Back in the late 80s and early 90s there was a lot of custom made 17 bullets being produced in the USA and I picked up a few whilst in Texas but my choice was the 25g V Max.

Have fun with that little cartridge, it will do the job if you do.

13 hours ago, Whitester said:

Take this with a pinch of salt - a very large pinch.

60+ years ago I qualified as an RAF marksman with rifle and revolver. Now, all this means is that I can aim and hold a gun still - which I suppose is half the battle. Never, ever would I have been a real marksman as I've never fired sufficient rounds in all weather conditions to qualify as such. I'm OK if I can work with a light to moderate breeze.

I needed something for the same reasons as you've given and as at the time the only rifle I had was the 22 Hornet kept for fox - the rimfires had gone as so had all the rabbit. Circumstances changed and I needed something smaller again. It crossed my mind that I might get something also suitable for medium range fox - that is beyond the very short range HMR capability - which best describes our usual ranges of 150 yards max plus a tad perhaps.

So I took a flyer (literally!?) and got a 17WSM. The main problem here is ammo choice - Hobsons - with just Hornady available to us. Got a few boxes of 50 noting that they were from two differing Lot No's. Not good. At 100 yards one Lot spread them around a 3" Shoot 'n' See target and the other Lot about half that area. Not good enough so returned it and settled for a 22WMR. Bit of a problem with the order so got the WSM back and tried again. Better but still not good enough. Problem with the 22WMR trigger so got the WSM back yet again. At 90 yards in wind conditions (quartering, gusting, c20mph) beyond my comfort zone I can now place 3 from 5 nice and tight in the '10' of the 3" S'n'S with the other2 from the group just outside. The one problem - which I understand is recognised elsewhere - is holding a group. Of all those I've shot there's always been 1, sometimes 2, flyers. However, it now looks as though the rifle/ammo is good for fox at least. Stuck at the moment but will have another go in better conditions (for me) as and when I can. At the moment, I can't decide when the rifle/ammo is simply what you get or if the combination does require more than is usual 'shooting in'.

Edited by wymberley

It will do the job if you do. I have been shooting 17s for the last forty years and still have one in my cabinet. I would think over that period I have shot well in excess of 1000 foxes and a couple of javelina in Texas along with untold numbers of coyote.  I would have a Hornet version tomorrow but already have sufficient vermin rifles.

By the way I also did 14 years as a tactical firearms officer and sniper.

21 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

It will do the job if you do. I have been shooting 17s for the last forty years and still have one in my cabinet. I would think over that period I have shot well in excess of 1000 foxes and a couple of javelina in Texas along with untold numbers of coyote.  I would have a Hornet version tomorrow but already have sufficient vermin rifles.

By the way I also did 14 years as a tactical firearms officer and sniper.

Right enough. I only posted because the OP was unlikely to reload - although I bet that soon changes. :whistling: