Rabbits

Salmo

I’ve leased 2 big permissions near lochleven initially for general shooting . There are rabbits I mean hundreds and hundreds . Shot 45 in an hour with .22 . I really thought the numbers were declining . Anybody else seeing large numbers 

28 minutes ago, Salmo said:

I’ve leased 2 big permissions near lochleven initially for general shooting . There are rabbits I mean hundreds and hundreds . Shot 45 in an hour with .22 . I really thought the numbers were declining . Anybody else seeing large numbers 

Plenty around my area, but too much growth for ferreting and it’s not an ideal time of year anyhow, so it’s walkabout with shotgun and lamping…..when I can my backside in gear and find something decent! 

Some places near me have dozens of rabbits, 2 fields away only a few. Another permission a few miles away I have taken at least 5 foxes this year and I have saw 2 rabbits on a field that the farmer said he hasn't spotted any on in years.

If you have big numbers you need to clear them in the first night or so before they wise up. 

I had a field with maybe 3-4 hundred by a railway line. I cleared about 150 the first night and kept at them for a while. After the first night the numbers seemed to change very little and my bag stayed around 20 a night. The farmer saw the field maybe three months later pleased that they had gone. Unfortunately it was more to do with VHD than anything I had done. 

24 minutes ago, RyanMc said:

Some places near me have dozens of rabbits, 2 fields away only a few. Another permission a few miles away I have taken at least 5 foxes this year and I have saw 2 rabbits on a field that the farmer said he hasn't spotted any on in years.

I don't see foxes accounting for many. They are almost neighbour's working the same fields here with the rabbits barely moving as the foxes walk by.

8 hours ago, Salmo said:

Gents to give you an idea , we’ve shot over 160 in 4 evenings and not even denting it . There must be an explosion in population in small areas 

Why are you not shooting more? With the numbers you have I would expect you to shoot many times that number in a night. Hitting hard early before they get wise is key to control. 

What kit are you using? Do you have an outlet?