Jump to content

Glasses question ???.


samboy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi gang.

             I've been with Specsavers for a few years now and the last few pairs of glasses i have been a bit disappointed with.

             Vision Express were no better so would i be better off going to an independent optician ?.

                                                                                                                                            Thanks all.         

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After your eye test , you get a "prescription" (well I do).
This can be taken to any optician to get your glasses made.
When my glasses only needed replacing every 3 or 4 years, I went to a local High St optician, but as the frequency reduced, I went to Specsavers.
Some of the prices quoted on the High St are ridiculous.
I am certainly not hard up, but I don't like people taking the p. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always get my eyes tested at Boots, no particular reason other than I trust the opticians there. After the test you should be given your eye prescription without asking, the only thing that is not supplied is the PD (Pupillary distance). This you can easily measure at home if you want to buy your specs online. I have used ASDA for buying glasses for years as they give you all the extras included in the basic price, even varifocals. There seems to be approximately a 2 weeks wait from ordering to delivery. I have never had a problem from them, my last glasses 2 months ago was £45.00 for varifocals in a metal frame and the same again with tinted glass sun glasses. Superb value £90.00 for two pairs of glasses.

Spec savers give a very though eye test, they picked up a problem in my partners eye and she was in the eye hospital in hours. Can`t comment on their glasses though.

Edited by Flyboy1950
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, next time I need an eye test I will get this done, keep the results and buy online, I'm not sure if you can have the test results but seen people say they keep and buy as I mentioned 

That's what I have done for years. They have to give you your prescription by law so they cannot refuse. They don't want to because they know what you are going to do.

Opticians make their money out of selling the glasses. It's around 400% mark up (at least)  and the staff have tough targets they have to meet.

Edited by Vince Green
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an uneasy relationship with glasses .

My first glasses cost about £100 , and I jumped off a loading bay and they fell out of my pocket and got broken( before I'd ever worn them) , then after I'd had them repaired , I lost them in a lorry for a month ( again , before I'd even worn them) . They then lived in my work bag for ten years without ever getting worn ( because I was scared that I'd break them or lose them).

My second glasses that I bought around four months ago , cost £275 . I had scratch resistant and curved lense varifocals . The optician advised me that curved lenses were a must for drivers , so that I could use my peripheral vision . The reality is , they're absolutely useless,  and I feel like I'm wearing a gold fish bowl on my head. I can't even walk in them , let alone drive in them , and the damned lenses are scratched to hell.  

The optician really had my pants down , and my next set of reading glasses will be bought at poundland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I have an uneasy relationship with glasses .

My first glasses cost about £100 , and I jumped off a loading bay and they fell out of my pocket and got broken( before I'd ever worn them) , then after I'd had them repaired , I lost them in a lorry for a month ( again , before I'd even worn them) . They then lived in my work bag for ten years without ever getting worn ( because I was scared that I'd break them or lose them).

My second glasses that I bought around four months ago , cost £275 . I had scratch resistant and curved lense varifocals . The optician advised me that curved lenses were a must for drivers , so that I could use my peripheral vision . The reality is , they're absolutely useless,  and I feel like I'm wearing a gold fish bowl on my head. I can't even walk in them , let alone drive in them , and the damned lenses are scratched to hell.  

The optician really had my pants down , and my next set of reading glasses will be bought at poundland.

I bought two pairs of Foster Grants from Sainsburys about 4/5 years ago, cost me £20 and they did the job, I can see clearly through them and read a number plate at 30/40 yards, I then decided to go to Spec-savers and have a proper pair of glasses, think I paid a similar amount as you for my glasses, I have never worn them as they just make everything seem odd, everything seems over magnified, difficult to explain really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

I bought two pairs of Foster Grants from Sainsburys about 4/5 years ago, cost me £20 and they did the job, I can see clearly through them and read a number plate at 30/40 yards, I then decided to go to Spec-savers and have a proper pair of glasses, think I paid a similar amount as you for my glasses, I have never worn them as they just make everything seem odd, everything seems over magnified, difficult to explain really.

The optician assured me that my brain would adjust to wearing the glasses in a few days /weeks. I've been doing my best to wear them as much as possible for months now( I wear them constantly at home), and I can't even make a cup of coffee , or walk to the toilet when I'm wearing them . The only benefit I've gained from them is they help to read small text . I feel bitterly ripped off to be honest dave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

The optician assured me that my brain would adjust to wearing the glasses in a few days /weeks. I've been doing my best to wear them as much as possible for months now( I wear them constantly at home), and I can't even make a cup of coffee , or walk to the toilet when I'm wearing them . The only benefit I've gained from them is they help to read small text . I feel bitterly ripped off to be honest dave.

I say I have never worn them, I did try but could not get on with them, optician told me the exact same thing, my brain would adjust to wearing them, must be my brain is to old to adjust to them.:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/06/2022 at 10:53, mel b3 said:

I have an uneasy relationship with glasses .

My first glasses cost about £100 , and I jumped off a loading bay and they fell out of my pocket and got broken( before I'd ever worn them) , then after I'd had them repaired , I lost them in a lorry for a month ( again , before I'd even worn them) . They then lived in my work bag for ten years without ever getting worn ( because I was scared that I'd break them or lose them).

My second glasses that I bought around four months ago , cost £275 . I had scratch resistant and curved lense varifocals . The optician advised me that curved lenses were a must for drivers , so that I could use my peripheral vision . The reality is , they're absolutely useless,  and I feel like I'm wearing a gold fish bowl on my head. I can't even walk in them , let alone drive in them , and the damned lenses are scratched to hell.  

The optician really had my pants down , and my next set of reading glasses will be bought at poundland.

And the moral of this story is---------------------Wear Them, and they wont break!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you go to decent optician it not just the quality of the eye test but ensuring that the glasses you need are those you get. 20 years ago I got headaches, went to a number of the usual names and ended up nowhere. Finally went to a quality small opticians with two partners and immediately had the issue diagnosed. My prescription is complicated and each visit needs tweaking but I remain headache free. Further, when I spoke about shooting and getting contact lenses to help the right lenses were sought with the right advice - it was a combination of the two. My bill every 3 years or so is £1,200 - not cheap but its £1 a day - you would quickly pay that for quality glasses and no headaches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

And the moral of this story is---------------------Wear Them, and they wont break!

I can only wear them when I'm sitting down , I can't even walk properly when I'm wearing the things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...