Commemorative coin.

mel b3

Hiya guys .

I'm looking to get a commemorative platinum jubilee coin for my grandson . I'd like to get a gold sovereign,  or half sovereign if possible,  but , I can't make any sense of all the different coins . Could someone with a little knowledge of these things , please point me in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

get something that is a proper coin.........these Francklin mint stuff are not coins.....they are allowed to call them a coin as it is legal tender in Guernsey.....a soveregn or a crown...something proper.......

That's where I was having a problem . Theirs several different coins , and I don't know what's what. I don't want to spend a fortune,  on something that's only worth pennies , because when he gets older , he'll know that grandad was an idiot 😳.

I know this sounds really thick , but after searching for an hour , I couldn't even figure out which were platinum jubilee coins , and which were coins made from platinum 😳.

22 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

That's where I was having a problem . Theirs several different coins , and I don't know what's what. I don't want to spend a fortune,  on something that's only worth pennies , because when he gets older , he'll know that grandad was an idiot 😳.

I know this sounds really thick , but after searching for an hour , I couldn't even figure out which were platinum jubilee coins , and which were coins made from platinum 😳.

i dont know much about this but i think you need to buy something that is made by the royal mint or a bullion dealer where you receive a certificate of weight and carrat

all these comemarotive rubbish stuff is plated and is no better than the coins we used to get from the petrol station during the 66 world cup

i have several crowns going back to queen victoria pure silver ones which are sumperous.........

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-queens-platinum-jubilee/

There might be something on here. The problem is a lot of these coins are not worth the price for the weight of precious metal in them, so its whether they are worth anything as a collectable item in the future.

It might be worth getting a base metal coin to commemorate the event and getting something else for an investment. I am sure someone on here knows about collecting coins for investment can advise you. 

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i dont know much about this but i think you need to buy something that is made by the royal mint or a bullion dealer where you receive a certificate of weight and carrat

all these comemarotive rubbish stuff is plated and is no better than the coins we used to get from the petrol station during the 66 world cup

i have several crowns going back to queen victoria pure silver ones which are sumperous.........

That caused me a bit of confusion,  as some are advertised as platinum coins , and not platinum jubilee coins , but when you read on , they're just tat.

15 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-queens-platinum-jubilee/

There might be something on here. The problem is a lot of these coins are not worth the price for the weight of precious metal in them, so its whether they are worth anything as a collectable item in the future.

It might be worth getting a base metal coin to commemorate the event and getting something else for an investment. I am sure someone on here knows about collecting coins for investment can advise you. 

I was hoping to get just a single full sovereign 2022 ,  rather than a set. That set of sovereigns does look very nice , but it's more than I can afford just  as a keep sake. 

9 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

That caused me a bit of confusion,  as some are advertised as platinum coins , and not platinum jubilee coins , but when you read on , they're just tat.

I was hoping to get just a single full sovereign 2022 ,  rather than a set. That set of sovereigns does look very nice , but it's more than I can afford just  as a keep sake. 

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-queens-platinum-jubilee/platinum-jubilee-large-coins/

Looks like they are all sold out. ☹

1 hour ago, loriusgarrulus said:

I thought it was just me , and  that i was looking in the wrong places😔. Hopefully something will turn up . That 1kg silver coin would make a cracking door stop 😄.

34 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

That's the one , it's my very very most favourite price , FREE 😄😄😄

2 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I thought it was just me , and  that i was looking in the wrong places😔. Hopefully something will turn up . That 1kg silver coin would make a cracking door stop 😄.

That's the one , it's my very very most favourite price , FREE 😄😄😄

I am sure it worth its price too. 👍

There are some being resold on Ebay. 

Edited by loriusgarrulus

3 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

I am sure it worth its price too. 👍

It seemed to me that most of the coins were like Simon said , even some of the more expensive ones were little more than slot machine tokens . That's what made me think gold sovereign . It would make a nice keepsake for him ( not that he's old enough to appreciate it yet), and it would retain some value in years to come.

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

get something that is a proper coin.........these Francklin mint stuff are not coins.....they are allowed to call them a coin as it is legal tender in Guernsey.....a soveregn or a crown...something proper.......

This. Any sov, or half sov will always be worth what its is and can only become worth more. Leave the Franklin Mint tat to the commemorative Princess Diana doll crowd.

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Right ..........this is what i would do.

buy your soveriegn or whatever 2022 date...put it in a small plastic bag (stop it getting scratched)...then buy a good quality small jewrelly case (leather) and have gold hot foiled name and date on the leather............

UNIQUE:good:

38 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Right ..........this is what i would do.

buy your soveriegn or whatever 2022 date...put it in a small plastic bag (stop it getting scratched)...then buy a good quality small jewrelly case (leather) and have gold hot foiled name and date on the leather............

UNIQUE:good:

It just so happens that I know a lady that could make a nice leather case for me 😁.

The coins recently advertised are mostly just plated gold and overpriced,and the small quarter sovereigns etc are also expensive,a full sovereign is currently worth £348 and reached a peak this year at £366.They are 91.7% pure gold and weigh 7.98 grams.

There are usually plenty for sale on eBay but expect to pay about 10% above the gold value.

7 hours ago, TOPGUN749 said:

The coins recently advertised are mostly just plated gold and overpriced,and the small quarter sovereigns etc are also expensive,a full sovereign is currently worth £348 and reached a peak this year at £366.They are 91.7% pure gold and weigh 7.98 grams.

There are usually plenty for sale on eBay but expect to pay about 10% above the gold value.

Looks like ill be trawling ebay . I'm happy to pay a bit over the odds , as its a keep sake more than investment 👍.

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

cant you buy new sovreigns from the bank ?

I'd never even considered that .

I wish my grandson was a bit older , it would have been much simpler to just buy him a bike 😄.

I have bought gold and silver coins from Bullionbypost amongst others with no problems. If you are looking at an investment coin I would forget the plated and franklin stuff Obviously it all depends on your budget a gold half sovereign is around £195.00 or silver 1 oz Britannia coins at about £28.00. There is no vat on gold but there is on silver. If you go the gold route and buy a smaller coin it can be a bit underwhelming but remember it is not likely to lose money.

I have bought friends and family's children 1oz Britannia coins from the year of their birth as presents. 

You also can get lucky at a Pawn Brokers and buy something at a good deal.

50 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

I have bought gold and silver coins from Bullionbypost amongst others with no problems. If you are looking at an investment coin I would forget the plated and franklin stuff Obviously it all depends on your budget a gold half sovereign is around £195.00 or silver 1 oz Britannia coins at about £28.00. There is no vat on gold but there is on silver. If you go the gold route and buy a smaller coin it can be a bit underwhelming but remember it is not likely to lose money.

I have bought friends and family's children 1oz Britannia coins from the year of their birth as presents. 

You also can get lucky at a Pawn Brokers and buy something at a good deal.

I'd got a budget of £500/£600 in my head . Its just as a commemorative keep sake , so it needs to be 2022.

17 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I'd got a budget of £500/£600 in my head . Its just as a commemorative keep sake , so it needs to be 2022.

You can choose what year coin you would like to purchase. The link below is for 2022 gold coins, but I can't see a commemorative coin.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-coins/2022-gold-coins/

2 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

You can choose what year coin you would like to purchase. The link below is for 2022 gold coins, but I can't see a commemorative coin.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-coins/2022-gold-coins/

I've just had another quick look ( I looked the other day , but their was too many to wrap my head around) , and the 2022 gold sovereign is sort of a commemorative coin , so I think that's the way to go.

Thankyou for the advice guys👍.

Ps. My Mrs thinks that I should get him a cheaper silver coin , and put the rest of the money into his bank account.  Women are just no fun.