New Beretta Shotguns

Cawdor118

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

Brilliant, do you happen to know when this was implemented? Thanks again.

Possibly pretty recently. I have a 2017 dt11 that is optima hp, steelium pro barrels and it's not steel shot proofed. Yet there are plenty of 2015 models and earlier that are. Always worth checking individual guns.

The really annoying aspect of all this, is that there are thousands of perfectly capable shotguns sitting in cabinets which have now been grossly devalued as a result of all this scaremongering. 
A lot of dealers won’t part-ex, as they don’t want to get stuck with guns that no one dare buy, or offer you a lot less than they’re worth, but still expect people to buy, and people will, because they’ve bought the hype by being made to believe that their gun isn’t safe to shoot steel! 
The only option left for those with such guns is to just use them anyhow, or pay to have them steel proofed. 🤷‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ditchman said:

forgive my stupidity .....but if you are useing a plasi wad in a shotgun it dosnt matter if it is steel or whatever proofed as the shot dosnt come into contact with the barrell steel ???/

I was under the impression that the HP steel is running at higher pressure (more or faster burning powder?) and the risk if that the shotgun barrels could explode or rupture due to the increased pressure. 

Nothing to do with steel shot on the barrels. 

12 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I was under the impression that the HP steel is running at higher pressure (more or faster burning powder?) and the risk if that the shotgun barrels could explode or rupture due to the increased pressure. 

Wouldn’t that mean that NO shotguns could be proofed for HP steel? 
The only difference between a nitro proofed and HP steel proofed shotgun is the charge with which it is proofed. 

14 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes. It is this (that steel shot won't compress down as well as will lead). We've all seen if we've eaten game pellets that have a side "scrubbed" flat from contact with the bore when passing through choke.

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

Wouldn’t that mean that NO shotguns could be proofed for HP steel? 
The only difference between a nitro proofed and HP steel proofed shotgun is the charge with which it is proofed. 

Is that the only difference? 

Then why do some guns pass nitro proof but fail steel proof?

I saw a post just last week, either here or on stalking directory, from a member who sent his nitro proof gun off to be steel proofed. 

He says it failed, because when the proof house fired it with steel, it apparently exploded at the choke end. 

Lost the gun, but said he was glad he didn’t fire the steel himself. 

They don't recommend tighter than 1/2 with steel as it doesn't deform like lead as it passes through the constriction , the plas-wad is to protect the bores from the steel shot. Some guns are coming out (I think typically fixed no interchangeable chokes) that are tighter and proofed for steel, some brands eg fabarm are proofed.for steel in their full screw in chokes and apparently Muller chokes will take it. But pretty much all guns regardless will take steel upto 1/2 choke.

46 minutes ago, retromlc said:

They don't recommend tighter than 1/2 with steel as it doesn't deform like lead as it passes through the constriction , the plas-wad is to protect the bores from the steel shot. Some guns are coming out (I think typically fixed no interchangeable chokes) that are tighter and proofed for steel, some brands eg fabarm are proofed.for steel in their full screw in chokes and apparently Muller chokes will take it. But pretty much all guns regardless will take steel upto 1/2 choke.

Are you sure?  If that is the case then there’s no point in either buying a gun proofed for HP steel, or submitting your own gun for steel shot proofing, because you can put standard steel through ANY choke in ANY nitro proofed shotgun. 
Muller aren’t the only choke manufacturer making steel shot proofed chokes. Briley, Teague and Rhino also make them as far as I’m aware. 

19 minutes ago, retromlc said:

I didn't say any choke I said upto 1/2 choke. Hp is different to normal steel. I guess people have their guns proofed to help with selling.

All the information you need is available on the internet

The only difference between HP steel and standard steel is shot size. 
As steel traditionally patterns tighter than lead, then logic dictates there is no point going tighter than 1/2 anyhow, so what is the point in having our nitro proofed guns re-proofed, or in fact proofing any new guns for steel if it is recommended we go no tighter than half? 
Like you say, all the information you need is available on the internet…..or is it?

I'm pretty sure the difference is not shot size but the powder burn and speed of shot fired, HP shot was developed to hit game with more energy at longer distances as steel shot does not have the same energy as the same size pellet in lead, a gun that is HP proofed at full choke for those distance requirements or clay shooters who use tight chokes like trap shooters will need to have a gun capable of this requirement.

All guns, it has been reported can use nitro steel shot upto 1/2 choke, although it is my understanding that even with half choke the size of the shot size must be a consideration. It's to do with the lack of deformation of steel shot going through the choke constriction. 

It is also my understanding that most guns proofed for HP at full choke are fixed choke guns. A few screw in choke/gun manufacturing companies have chokes that can take steel at full choke, fabarm guns and Muller chokes are two that I'm aware of. I am not sure if Fabarm can take HP steel at full choke with their screw in choke.

I’ll admit I could be wrong about HP shot sizes, but all the HP steel I’ve fired has been shot size 4 and 3, ( Gamebore Supersteel ) and all through 40 odd year old non steel shot proofed guns, including one choked at 3/4. I don’t know if HP steel shot comes in a smaller size, although I know standard steel does. 
There’s a lot of confusing information out there regarding the entire steel shot issue. 
What I do know is that You CAN put standard steel shot through ANY choke, including Full, in ANY nitro proofed gun. 
It is also logical that if you can have your nitro proofed gun proofed for HP steel, and you can ( there is no point in having it proofed for any other type of steel other than HP, as it’s already capable of using standard ) then it just goes to prove there is no need. 
My nephew owns a Browning Crown, proofed for nitro only. He has been advised to have it HP shot proofed, to increase its value and appeal, and thereby proving that all he’ll be paying for is a fleur delys stamp!