Octane question ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

My Nissan Juke uses 95 grade but there was none at the pumps. So would it matter if i put a higher grade petrol in the tank ?.

Thanks all.

I've used 99 octane Momentum from Tesco for several years. My 2 litre non turbo petrol engine is smoother, quieter and significantly more powerful, plus I get about 5-6 mpg better than with 95 octane. If I keep to the speed limit it will do 54 mpg on a motorway run.

Momentum is bought in by Tesco and is very different from their standard fuel.

23 hours ago, amateur said:

The only damage from constant use will be to your wallet 😄

What he said.

Unless your car was specifically modyfied and mapped to or has the ability to adapt to and benefit from the higher octane rating then your likely just throwing money out of the exhaust pipe.

If the car has a performance orientated, modern, high compression turbo charged engine (not your average shopping car) then it's unlikely that the car is equipped with the hardware and software required to adapt and use the higher octane fuel.

Lots of reports of people noticing greatly reduced MPG with the new E10. The wife is now running E5 after complaining about how fast it was being used. It actually seems to work out neutral or slightly less in the grand scheme of things. Also, the engine does run a lot smoother.

Many, many years ago when 5 star petrol was loaded with tetraethyl lead and I was young and stupid, I insisted on filling up my Villiers 150cc two-stroke bike with 5 star - "Better, innit" - and wondered why the engine kept stopping with a whiskered plug. A wiser friend explained that two star was really more than adequate for the less than fire-breathing Villiers and that I might well reduce the stoppages caused by the lead salts forming on the plug. 

It worked!

Not that you have to worry about lead nowadays, it's all alcohol content.

I have a 2001 little 106 1.1 owned from new. 
As soon as e10 came out I started filling up with premium - I had an engine management light come on after 3 tank fulls. 
Not sure if it was coincidence or not as it had never done it before in 20 years. Cleared with a code reader. 
I was dubious about e10 as the car can sometimes sit for months. 

i think I may just put 1/4 of a tank in of premium and e10 mix and just top up when it gets low so it’s not sat with fuel in degrading 

Edited by ph5172

17 hours ago, amateur said:

Many, many years ago when 5 star petrol was loaded with tetraethyl lead and I was young and stupid, I insisted on filling up my Villiers 150cc two-stroke bike with 5 star - "Better, innit" - and wondered why the engine kept stopping with a whiskered plug. A wiser friend explained that two star was really more than adequate for the less than fire-breathing Villiers and that I might well reduce the stoppages caused by the lead salts forming on the plug. 

It worked!

Ah, THAT is why my car drinks it then  ?  It's bloody alcoholic  !

Edited by Westley

Hello, had to do that sometimes with my Tereos but I add a bit of Red X 

On 08/06/2022 at 15:41, amateur said:

It worked!

Hello, ooo those were the good old days , my first bike was a Frances Barnet , 🤔😁

24 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, ooo those were the good old days , my first bike was a Frances Barnet , 🤔😁

You have your rose-tinted specs on.

I can remember nothing good about Villiers engines, except that they were dirt cheap and marginally better than the Piatti-designed AMC ones.