Good deal today

ditchman

did a bit of shopping today...fancied a curry....a Pateks curry kit....the one where everything is seperate ..the dried spices chiles curry leaves.....paste with gee ...sauce.....so i got a madras.......i had a goean pork curry last weeks done with fatty bellypork......that was awesome..............

so i ambeled down to the meat isle...to get some stewing steak...........got way laid...when i saw a deal on fresh lamb chops....4 in a box not trimmed...£4 quid....buy 2 boxes £5 quid....and they are nice looking chops.....get in there i thought...av that......

on the way back got some fresh chilies....spinich....and baby potatoes.....so i will put that together tomorrow and leave it to superate overnight

the other box of chops went in the freezer

jobs a gooden

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

did a bit of shopping today...fancied a curry....a Pateks curry kit....the one where everything is seperate ..the dried spices chiles curry leaves.....paste with gee ...sauce.....so i got a madras.......i had a goean pork curry last weeks done with fatty bellypork......that was awesome..............

so i ambeled down to the meat isle...to get some stewing steak...........got way laid...when i saw a deal on fresh lamb chops....4 in a box not trimmed...£4 quid....buy 2 boxes £5 quid....and they are nice looking chops.....get in there i thought...av that......

on the way back got some fresh chilies....spinich....and baby potatoes.....so i will put that together tomorrow and leave it to superate overnight

jobs a gooden

Making my mouth water........... Aye time for a tin o soup........

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

jobs a gooden

I've found Pataks one of the best curry base mix's. I wouldn't use stewing steak though, i would go for a something like topside or similar sliced 1/4 inch thick finding the flavour get into the meat better. 

8 minutes ago, Dougy said:

I've found Pataks one of the best curry base mix's. I wouldn't use stewing steak though, i would go for a something like topside or similar sliced 1/4 inch thick finding the flavour get into the meat better. 

you are quite right............unfortunatly its the east of england co-op....and thats all there is 😢

i do go to the local butchers now and then tho'...thats where iget the good stuff...............next week i will have a go at making spag bol using oxtail...which i think is the tastiest meat on a beef carcase.........i will do it when i can get fresh herbs for it....

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

You could slow cook the meat.

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

i always do the curry in the slow cooker the day before......:good:

Normally start mine in the slow cooker around 9 in the morning then we eat at 8 in the evening. I sear beef or lamb and it goes in same time as everything else but chicken I marinade over night then oven cook at 190c on skewers during the day whenever I get time, refrigerate then add to the curry about 1 1/2  hours before we eat or it falls apart during the day. Any left overs make my breakfast next morning.

54 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Normally start mine in the slow cooker around 9 in the morning then we eat at 8 in the evening. I sear beef or lamb and it goes in same time as everything else but chicken I marinade over night then oven cook at 190c on skewers during the day whenever I get time, refrigerate then add to the curry about 1 1/2  hours before we eat or it falls apart during the day. Any left overs make my breakfast next morning.

i do mine around 3 0clock to 8 oclock....on low ...turn off and leave it over night then turn it on 2 hours before i eat the next day.....makes alot of extra taste left over night..

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

i do mine around 3 0clock to 8 oclock....on low ...turn off and leave it over night then turn it on 2 hours before i eat the next day.....makes alot of extra taste left over night..

I try to fry the spices and the veg for 10 minutes at least before putting into the slow cooker so flavours get a head start, it's pretty much inedible for 5-6 hours but then it all comes together. The Pataks taste pots are superb for marinating chicken over night, I have probably 30 spices and I cannot match the Tikka Masala variety, it doesn't taste anything like the restaurant  item but it's bloomin good, the aroma is intoxicating. Experimenting with Dhansak at the moment.

1 minute ago, bruno22rf said:

I try to fry the spices and the veg for 10 minutes at least before putting into the slow cooker so flavours get a head start, it's pretty much inedible for 5-6 hours but then it all comes together. The Pataks taste pots are superb for marinating chicken over night, I have probably 30 spices and I cannot match the Tikka Masala variety, it doesn't taste anything like the restaurant  item but it's bloomin good, the aroma is intoxicating. Experimenting with Dhansak at the moment.

right with you there............i fry the spices seperate and only on a very low heat for 2 mins...then i add the paste...vedge...and bulk of the sauce.....just checked the madras that i put on low at 10....i will turn it off in 1/2 an hour...chili is a bit sharp...but that will smooth out by 2 moz...

havt done a dhansak yet...........the spice lady goeon is really good with fatty pork and spuds and spinich:good:

Madras is a bit spicy for me although I have Madras hot Tikka Masala when we eat out. I grow "Basket of fire" chilies and these are superb in curries, the plant looks really impressive in the garden then you just top the chilies and freeze them, still using ones I grew 2 years ago!! Loving garam masala at the moment, it adds a kind of fruity taste that reminds me of Christmas and Tandoori Masala that just seems to improve everything. Since I started cooking curry my other half has abandoned the kitchen as she says I am a far better cook than her - she trained under the Ruox brothers.

21 hours ago, ditchman said:

you are quite right............unfortunatly its the east of england co-op....and thats all there is 😢

i do go to the local butchers now and then tho'...thats where iget the good stuff...............next week i will have a go at making spag bol using oxtail...which i think is the tastiest meat on a beef carcase.........i will do it when i can get fresh herbs for it....

Blimey, where does Her Maj shop then?

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Of course!  

i was there in the early 70's working...it was a hot afternoon and we were bale carting and i fancied an icecream...wentin and had to que behind her as she was with a young prince edward getting an ice cream.......often used to see her in west newton with the kids