They’ve started on the Barley

On Friday I shot a field of Clover that I found a few birds on during the week. The forecast was rain on and off all day and they were right. I got soaked but in between the rain I managed 74 pigeon.

I had a call on Monday asking me to shoot some peas so I had a go this afternoon for a couple of hours and managed 32 pigeon. Whilst I was shooting I had a friend ring to inform me he’d just pushed 300+ off some of his Barley. I thought it was a little early for the Barley but my mate isn’t normally wrong when it comes to pigeon numbers on his crop. To confirm this 2 of the birds I shot this afternoon had Barley in there crops. They have finally started on one of my favourite crops to shoot.

Ben

CBB7B92D-3E63-4DD7-BBB8-00093E7D4CB2.jpeg

8AE36E83-A5B9-4C60-96E4-4E5AFEC2A570.jpeg

Hello, well done BB 👍 I've noticed pigeon on the wires where the barley fields are starting to turn, hoping to have a go myself but it's been months since I had a go over decoys, not expecting to much but it will be good to get out in the fields, 👍

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Haven't seen any Pigeons on the barley although yesterday I did notice several Rooks and Crows sitting on the telegraph wires , it would be about two weeks early to expect any laid patches as the ears are still only just started to fill out with only small grain , the last two or three days have been very showery with some of them very heavy , if the ears had been heavier we would have had some patches down , looking in one of my diaries I did shoot a field of laid barley down the marsh one year on the 23rd June and it wouldn't be that far out this year .

18 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, well done BB 👍 I've noticed pigeon on the wires where the barley fields are starting to turn, hoping to have a go myself but it's been months since I had a go over decoys, not expecting to much but it will be good to get out in the fields, 👍

Coming back from son's on the bus plenty of pigeons on the wires looking at the barley, might give it a go tomorrow

On 09/06/2022 at 15:29, oldypigeonpopper said:

Coming back from son's on the bus plenty of pigeons on the wires looking at the barley, might give it a go tomorrow

Hello, it's still a bit green and there were not many showing interest, plenty of blackies about, another week of dry weather might help, with these new strains of barley seed you don't see many flatter areas unless it rains heavy 

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, it's still a bit green and there were not many showing interest, plenty of blackies about, another week of dry weather might help, with these new strains of barley seed you don't see many flatter areas unless it rains heavy 

Forecast some heavy rain next weekend, although I did get out yesterday and not a shot fired, but what a nice June day👍

Shot over some barley last week in Shropshire.  All crop still standing but dropping in on tramlines where sprayer has flattened some.  Was slow to get going as had no dead birds with me and the decoys were not pulling them in.  Once I had a flapper going had steady traffic for a couple of hours and finished with 24 pigeon and 7 crows

I drive through thousands of acres of farmland on my way to work, plenty of barley about but I’ve only seen one flat spot, nothing to be seen on it.  although five minutes up the road a wheat field that’s still completely green had about 30 or 40 birds on the wires above and 10/15 or so directly below going mad on the crop 🤷‍♂️ 

What I noticed today was the Pigeons have left the Peas and sitting on various telegraph wire that run over some of our grain fields , the heavy rain we had Saturday night didn't really knock any down and the Pigeons that were down today were in the tram lines where the sprayer had been turning , the fields in question were , Winter Barley , Winter Wheat and Rye .

A day in farming this time of the year is a long time and tomorrow might be entirely different , all we can do is keep our fingers on the pulse , or so they say :good:

10 hours ago, marsh man said:

What I noticed today was the Pigeons have left the Peas and sitting on various telegraph wire that run over some of our grain fields , the heavy rain we had Saturday night didn't really knock any down and the Pigeons that were down today were in the tram lines where the sprayer had been turning , the fields in question were , Winter Barley , Winter Wheat and Rye .

A day in farming this time of the year is a long time and tomorrow might be entirely different , all we can do is keep our fingers on the pulse , or so they say :good:

On my way home from work yesterday afternoon I noticed the first birds dropping in on standing wheat. I have no laid barley anywhere which is annoying. I do have a field of barley that is surrounded by cut grass so hopefully I can shoot some this Friday 

Very little showing on the corn, no laid patches apart from a few small areas under oak trees with the odd pigeon dropping in, I say very little showing, I came past a wheat field yesterday and there must have been a couple of hundred dropping into a laid patches under a couple of oak trees, I did not sit and watch it for long as the farmer who owns the fields does not allow shooting on the farm, typical. :sneaky2:

Dont think it will be long before the tap turns on and we see a few reports of pigeons being shot over standing/laid corn, mind you with this weather were having it may push an early harvest, all you can do is keep looking and hope you find that elusive field they want.:)