Buy your home with housing benefit

Lloyd90

This isn't new with the exception of Housing Association - The woman who moved in next door to my parents (this would have been the 80's) - 2 kids - had some sort of deal where the interest or the capital (one or the other) was paid for by benefits. She ended up not living there but leaving her daughters there - when they moved on she sold it for a nice profit

My Wife's friend has paid off her house while being on benefits and working minimum hours for about 15 years.....

This could turn into a nightmare, people on benefits are being encouraged to buy houses but what happens if interest rates climb and their benefit no longer covers their mortgage? Repossessions could be a financial nightmare for the whole country, building societies could collapse and who is going to have to pay to accommodate the then homeless? Surely if the argument that buying, in some cases, can be cheaper than renting shouldn't local councils be buying then charging rent thus creating an income?

42 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

There were eight, yes, just eight, council houses in my village. All were bought by the occupiers under Thatcher's right to buy. 1930s stock with thirty yard gardens backing on to the village park. All within but five years were sold to "incomers" at huge profit. They were never replaced with new stock. Now the kids can't afford to live in the village and have to seek to rent bedsits and the like in Leicester. Or within the same local authority seven or eight miles away. So there aspirations to continue to live and work in the communities they grew up in went down the toilet since Right To Buy as no builder or developer sees any profit in social housing in any village. It's all bijoux "executive homes" for incomers who then complain about the church bells ringing and X, Y and Z of the noises and smells...yes including folks pigeon shooting...of a village. And when these changes happen so too the bus services cease as the "incomers" all have cars and don't use the buses. So even if the kids remain in the village they can't get to work as there are no buses before early morning. Thatcher knew the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Not being rude but 8 people renting or buying won't make a lot of difference to that village in my opinion - and think of how many of those as tenants could be chav's dragging down the neighbourhood. As I said earlier, buyers will have higher aspirations regard for their houses and eventually pay their way instead of being a burden,  their kids will likely do likewise.

There's two ways of looking at almost any main party voter. Tories winning votes from people with an eye to improving their lot or Labour for the many - not all - with their hands out sponging off the taxpayer for their entire lives - and their offsprings too. 

3 hours ago, Dave-G said:

There's two ways of looking at almost any main party voter. Tories winning votes from people with an eye to improving their lot or Labour for the many - not all - with their hands out sponging off the taxpayer for their entire lives - and their offsprings too. 

Christ alive no wonder we are in such a ....state. What a complete load of tosh. What is your evidence for people improving their lot under these wasters?Even the flagship Brexit proposal is not finished and has made 'our lot' the poorer. This Govt has the highest tax burden ever. It's leader has broken the law. It has the highest rate of handouts to voters seen in the UK. We are all so much worse off now under this Govt than we were before they came to power.  As for the other lot we have no idea as its so long since they came to power. 

Why restrict your votes to those with no policy and credibility. Oh yes i remember a vote for anyone else is a waste of a vote. :lol: Is it a good use of your vote to elect wasters?

5 minutes ago, Jega said:

So it's entirely possible that one of the rubber dinghy mob can land in England go straight onto benefits and end up buying a house with our tax money .

Is it  just me or am i missing something here ?

Why would they want to-do that and get into debt when they can live a life of luxury in an hotel and have everything provided for them.

2 minutes ago, Jega said:

So it's entirely possible that one of the rubber dinghy mob can land in England go straight onto benefits and end up buying a house with our tax money .

It's looking like BJ has been picking up some ideas from Corbyn. Taking assets from business and giving them to the people. Worse even than that at least Corbyn could see it was a bad idea. 

1 hour ago, Jega said:

You mean like people did in London council houses in the past? 

A lot ended up selling the properties for big profit and moving. 

Imagine being given a council flat in a tower block years back, buying it for 60% of value, and then today selling it for a Million quid!

Re this new idea, If you give a load of people, who, whether their fault or not, have ended up in a life where they are unable to manage their finances / save for a house, an assets worth tens or even hundreds of thousands of pounds … how long before they cash out all the equity and spend the cash? 🤷‍♂️👀

And then when they end up homeless again … the Government will house them again.