Had to say goodbye

welsh1

This evening my beautiful boy Jake had to leave us,he was in pain and had dementia which made him feel stressed all the time, by god that was up there with the hardest things i have ever done.
He went to sleep peacefully with us both laying on the floor with him and i cuddled his head just like i have done for ever as he goes to bed.
Goodbye my little puppy dog, i will bloody miss you so much.

jake water 2.jpg

jake bigger.jpg

jake room.jpg

jake 23 5 19 (2019_08_16 12_58_44 UTC).png

jake.jpg

2 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Have to admit i did as well.

There’s no shame in it at all. Our dogs are members of the family too. My teenaged daughter and son were with me and they were in bits. 
The vet said she had seen 6ft odd 20 stone farmers in there, inconsolable at their loss. 
I always console myself with the fact that we give them the best lives any dog could have. My Border had a helluva life; a proper terriers life! She flourished and thrived and I could see the excitement in her eyes every day. 
I’ve absolutely no doubt your dog did the same. 👍

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

There’s no shame in it at all. Our dogs are members of the family too. My teenaged daughter and son were with me and they were in bits. 
The vet said she had seen 6ft odd 20 stone farmers in there, inconsolable at their loss. 
I always console myself with the fact that we give them the best lives any dog could have. My Border had a helluva life; a proper terriers life! She flourished and thrived and I could see the excitement in her eyes every day. 
I’ve absolutely no doubt your dog did the same. 👍

Just looking back at pics and videos of him ploughing through bogs and streams working and retriving he loved it, one of the best noses for pheasant and woodcock out there .

14 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Just looking back at pics and videos of him ploughing through bogs and streams working and retriving he loved it, one of the best noses for pheasant and woodcock out there .

There you go, proper dog living a proper life. 🙂👍

2 hours ago, welsh1 said:

Have to admit i did as well.

Nothing wrong with that. I read a piece a few weeks back that reckoned that people share a closer bond with their dogs than they do members of their own family.

I'm sorry for your loss. Its not an easy task but I'm sure you'll look back and know you did the best thing for him.

You'll also be able to look back at the good times you shared and maybe even look back at the times when he was being a pain and just smile.

Edited by Poor Shot

So sorry for your loss.

It is so painful reading stories like this as it brings back all the grief. I think about my lab every single day and he’s been gone three years now.

I know it sounds strange, but I feel that somehow he is still with us, and I don’t believe in that kind of stuff normally.

• 2 weeks later...

Having had more than most, I can honestly say it never gets easier.....and it should not. They give us so many good days through their lives and one really bad one at the end.

Welsh1 so glad you chose to support him on his final journey I am sure it meant everything to him. .....  and yes I cry everytime I have to say Good Bye. Keep his memories close, they will bring a smile to you at the most unexpected times.

NTTF