Could this be Packham's downfall 🤞

Newbie to this

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Personally,  I get abused mercilessly , all day , every day . I also dish it out equally mercilessly. I love the craic , but you have to be very very aware that to some people , it's not a joke , and can be very upsetting/ degrading/humiliating/frightening. 

The lads rip each all day at work, good natured banter, I don't join in often because I'm older, part deaf so I've often missed the joke to begin with, but I feel people are far too quick to be offended and so are very guarded , the art of conversion is being lost.

15 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Can anyone explain why Packham made the comment? It wasn't funny, it was offensive. He was broadcasting to millions of people, but couldn't stop himself.

It says something about his thought process - arrogant.

I did complain.

I would rather someone explain what we are going to do when she claims this is embittered sportsman’s latest attempt to slander her co presenter who has nothing but respect for her and all women or are we just going to cry AFTER we shoot our self up the back side 

17 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Can anyone explain why Packham made the comment? It wasn't funny, it was offensive. He was broadcasting to millions of people, but couldn't stop himself.

It says something about his thought process - arrogant.

I did complain.

This is why I asked my wifes opinion,  I just can't see how it's offensive,  being a shop floor, rugby playing fella born in the 70s I thought maybe I was missing something,  but I feel its just because CP said it.

29 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

This was many many moons ago but I have actually worked with Michaela Strachan and I did make a compliment to a fellow worker about her backside and she overheard me and I got a right roasting for it! 

those were the days

She obviously prefers cp to you 😁.

I can't really see that complaining to the BBC would make any difference.  The BBC is more than happy to shelter child molesters like Jimmy Saville and his ilk , so a bit of pervy chat by cp will be perfectly acceptable to them.

57 minutes ago, clangerman said:

I would rather someone explain what we are going to do when she claims this is embittered sportsman’s latest attempt to slander her co presenter who has nothing but respect for her and all women or are we just going to cry AFTER we shoot our self up the back side 

How would they know the complaints came from 'embittered sportsmen' :hmm:

I have had my acknowledgement back. It'll be a quandry for the BBC with Savile being given so many benefits of the doubt for what on the face was similar "light hearted" behaviour AND given that Packham is a "role model" for some children to see how they'll reply if they don't at least express some slight disapproval. And knowing that any reply may well then be circulated to the press.

Thanks for contacting the BBC. This is to confirm we’ve received the attached complaint sent in this name. We’ve included the text of the complaint and a case reference for your records (see below). 

Our normal aim is to reply at this stage within 10 working days (two weeks), but we hope you will understand that sometimes we are unable to respond by then. We will let you know beforehand if we think it may take us longer.

We’ll normally include your complaint in our overnight report to producers and management. This will circulate your and all complaints with other reaction we receive today (but with any personal details removed) so it will then be available for the right team to read tomorrow morning.

For full details of our complaints process please visit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/how-we-handle-your-complaint. Please don’t reply to this email because it’s an automated acknowledgement sent from an account which can’t receive replies. If you do need to get in touch, please use our webform instead at www.bbc.co.uk/complaints, quoting your reference number.

Here are the details of your complaint: 

----------

YOUR COMPLAINT: 

Voyeuristic sexual innuendo of very poor taste. 

A female presenter was climbing a ladder and the male presenter, Chris Packham making a deliberate show of shielding his eyes made a remark that was to me voyeuristic sexual innuendo of poor taste. The sort of theatrical "ogling" that as a parent of a child I hoped had been left behind in the dinosaur era of Benny Hill's television shows and "Carry On" films. Appalling. Not at all funny and reminiscent of the sort of leering and verbal harassment and objectification posing as a "joke" or a "jest" that women should not be subjected at any place or time. The man should be removed from his role.  

Edited by enfieldspares

This is why I asked my wifes opinion,  I just can't see how it's offensive,  being a shop floor, rugby playing fella born in the 70s I thought maybe I was missing something,  but I feel its just because CP said it.

Would you have been happy if he said it about your wife / girlfriend / daughter and then told the whole world about it? I wouldn't.

After Jimmy Saville, I thought the BBC might be a little more careful.

Obviously not.

10 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Would you have been happy if he said it about your wife / girlfriend / daughter and then told the whole world about it? I wouldn't.

Obviously not.

Had my wife been climbing a ladder , and someone had made those remarks , they would have got the heel of her boot in the face , in the blink of an eye .    Had my daughter been climbing the ladder , and someone made the same remark , she would have been absolutely mortified,  and would have walked away silently , and it would have upset her for days .

I'm always up for the craic,  but Theirs some things that you just don't do in this day and age , and cp crossed that line.

The BBC only faked concern over the Saville business because it was so public , and they were caught red handed . Their only real concern is money . I'm sure that this business with cp will prove that . They'll just brush it under the carpet like it was nothing.

29 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Obviously not.

Have you never watched the TV before? There are far worse things said.

He didn't say it about my wife, he didn't say it to a stranger but someone he's worked with and been  friends with for many many years.

This is so far from Saville,  I can't believe that people have come up with the comparison.

If someone passed comment that my wife looked good on a ladder, I'd smile,  it was just a comment, not a smack on the rear, didn't stand on the ladder glaring up at her.

I'd feel differently if someone went on about it, made a fuss.

Has MS said made any comments?

5 hours ago, Gordon R said:

The time should be 28.03 into the programme. I have complained to the BBC. It was the sort of thing that got Benny Hill removed from TV, although I noticed that he is back.

Whatever your feelings about it, it should never have been screened. It should have been edited out.

I think Benny hill is dead.you probably noticed his ghostly gold tops !

3 hours ago, clangerman said:

That’s what I was thinking.

Hello, in the BBC,  he's there blue eyed boy and cannot do or say anything wrong as he has millions of youngsters follow all his programmes as the leading expert on wild life and conservation and uses his Asperger's to maybe help his cause where as there are maybe 1000s of people in the UK with the same condition who suffer in silence 

Think back to the names he called us on msm at the start of their anti shooting campaign. He started it. Calling us "Satanic psychotic murderers". So anything that helps take him down helps. Remember he labelled us as "the nasty brigade" on Spring Watch years ago. Spring watch seems like the badger lovers club this year. Gets worse.   NB   

I confess I feel somewhat uncomfortable with what is being suggested here; i.e. “cancelling” Packham because he made an ill-judged remark on live television*.  Seems very holier-than-thou.  Can’t we just stick to complaining to the BBC about his conflicts of interest, inherent bias, and so forth?

*If it wasn’t live, then obviously a whole team of people let it make it to air.

33 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I confess I feel somewhat uncomfortable with what is being suggested here; i.e. “cancelling” Packham because he made an ill-judged remark on live television*.  Seems very holier-than-thou.  Can’t we just stick to complaining to the BBC about his conflicts of interest, inherent bias, and so forth?

*If it wasn’t live, then obviously a whole team of people let it make it to air.

On 10/06/2022 at 13:54, Newbie to this said:

but if the boot was on the other foot, he would not hesitate to use it.

23 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

but if the boot was on the other foot, he would not hesitate to use it.

That’s not a good argument for doing anything.

No need to lower ourselves to his level.  In fact, in the eyes of the public, probably a mistake – though as Scully as pointed out, how are they to know we come at conservation from different perspectives?

Anyway, I shan’t be complaining to the BBC about an ill-judged remark about an attractive woman.  Because I’m not some 21st century delicate flower of the Mary Whitehouse persuasion.  And more to the point, I don’t think it helps to cause we claim to support.

His ‘platform’ urgently needs reviewing, because at a very practical level, his bias causes very real damage to conservation.  But the BBC are unlikely to do anything unless and until he physically assaults a member of staff.  Certain ‘talent’ are more or less allowed to do and say as they please, charter be damned, because they’re ‘contractors’ (Vine, Linekar, Munchetty, etc).

9 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

That’s not a good argument for doing anything.

If you say so, but doing nothing, will achieve nothing

Anyway, I shan’t be complaining to the BBC about an ill-judged remark about an attractive woman.

That is your perogative.

Because I’m not some 21st century delicate flower of the Mary Whitehouse persuasion

Neither am I, but I believe in fighting fire with fire, so to speak.

And more to the point, I don’t think it helps to cause we claim to support.

How would they know what cause the people who made the complaints support?

His ‘platform’ urgently needs reviewing, because at a very practical level, his bias causes very real damage to conservation

Couldn't agree more

Edited by Newbie to this

21 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

If you say so, but doing nothing, will achieve nothing

I didn't say I was doing nothing.

Neither am I, but I believe in fighting fire with fire, so to speak.

When has that *ever* worked?

It's why my grandad lost his job as a fireman.

How would they know what cause the people who made the complaints support?

You....you do know this is a public forum, right?

Packham going to be speaking at Glastonbury this year. On Left Field and Speakers Forum stages. Trying to get the youth on board i guess, as most folk are fed up with him. Friends and folk i know working there go to try and engage in QnA's, if just to show his lack of knowledge, spin and avoidance of detailed debate.       NB

Woman does job. Man takes the chance to remind woman that she exists for the pleasure of men. It doesn't matter how far you try and take it away, what he did was point out that she is an object for men to stare at. You don't see men standing at the bottom of ladders telling the camera how lots of girls would be delighted to be in that position. Creepy. 

Bring out the "It was a compliment" brigade. 

20 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I didn't say I was doing nothing

I didn't say you did.

When has that *ever* worked?

Works all the time.

It's why my grandad lost his job as a fireman.

Please explain?

You....you do know this is a public forum, right?

Again, how would they know who complained!

There will be many complaints, not just from the shooting community. I've heard his comment being condemned on LBC.