Jump to content

Chokes for DTL


Recommended Posts

Recently joined a clay club that shoots DTL I kept my game chokes in the browning o/u 1/4 1/2 i shot average scores Wanted to ask the more experienced clay shooters on forum what they use been advised 3/4 Full is best Any Views ???? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd try 1/2 and 3/4 and take the birds "early" rather than sitting on them. The scores may not always be a choke issue it may be how much pattern is put "on the bird". Try a taped on comb riser or even a taped on 1/8" or in extreme 1/4" thick layer of cardboard and see if scores improve. A gun that shoots "high" is best medicine.

Edited by enfieldspares
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers lads I’m no expert I was using a browning sporter Now according to the lads who run the club the trap set at a slightly different angle to other clay grounds making it a little harder for the guns But very enjoyable Safety taken very seriously as I’d expect at the club I’m gonna change the chokes next time till either 1/2-3/4 3-4-full Enfield made good point the older gentlemen are dusting the clays as soon as there out of the trap Me being a wildfowler I’m guilty of maybe letting the clays gain distance a bit 🤔🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

Recently joined a clay club that shoots DTL I kept my game chokes in the browning o/u 1/4 1/2 i shot average scores Wanted to ask the more experienced clay shooters on forum what they use been advised 3/4 Full is best Any Views ???? 

No!

The Chap who coached me when he was the England Senior Captain used 3/8th with shot size 8 in both barrels.

I sometimes use my single barrel browning these days and use 3/8ths in that with 7 1/2s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No!

The Chap who coached me when he was the England Senior Captain used 3/8th with shot size 8 in both barrels.

I sometimes use my single barrel browning these days and use 3/8ths in that with 7 1/2s.

Tightchoke you advising to shoot slightly more open chokes the clay loads are 7 1/2s 

8 minutes ago, Westley said:

My trap gun is fixed choke and bored 1/2 & Full. My personal choice would be 3/8 and 5/8. As a top DTL shooter once commented, I would sooner have 100 chipped breaks than 99 balls of dust  !

True a hit is a Hit 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Tightchoke you advising to shoot slightly more open chokes the clay loads are 7 1/2s 

 

Most definitely, I wanted my 100 straight and was coached for 6 months, try it, it works.  :good:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It depends on how quick you take your shots,they leave the trap at 16 yards,a fast shooter will get the first barrel off at 25 yards,and quarter choke is enough,most are a bit slower and let the clay get to over 30 yards,then an edge on target would be better with half,so in my opinion half and full would be the best overall with 30 or 32” barrels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

It depends on how quick you take your shots,they leave the trap at 16 yards,a fast shooter will get the first barrel off at 25 yards,and quarter choke is enough,most are a bit slower and let the clay get to over 30 yards,then an edge on target would be better with half,so in my opinion half and full would be the best overall with 30 or 32” barrels.

I’ve The chokes changed to 1/2-3/4 so give it a try 👍👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Skeet chokes will break them, but DTL isn't all about chokes, there is a certain amount of technique needed! The better DTL shots tend to use tighter chokes, at least half and three quarter. The top DTL shots tend to use three quarter and full. But then - they can shoot!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wylye said:

Skeet chokes will break them, but DTL isn't all about chokes, there is a certain amount of technique needed! The better DTL shots tend to use tighter chokes, at least half and three quarter. The top DTL shots tend to use three quarter and full. But then - they can shoot!

I found going around the stands I was hitting the end stand clays easier than I was the very middle stand with the clays going out in front of me I was tending to shoot underneath them I was told they were the easiest but maybe my arrogance got the better off me Taught me a lesson in humility 😊😊😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shot a lot...a huge amount of balltrap and DTL back in the 60s and 70s and my trap gun was choked full and full ...fixed chokes back then, so you had to live with them .

I think the advise given of a more open choke for your first barrel and maybe 3/4 or even full for the second would be a good idea.  Gun fit is just as important as well the gun must react like you pointed your finger,   Back then I shot reloads  7s for practise and Eley 'blues' 7s for comps.    With interchangeable chokes and wide selection of cartridges these days your all spoilt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Westley said:

My trap gun is fixed choke and bored 1/2 & Full. My personal choice would be 3/8 and 5/8. As a top DTL shooter once commented, I would sooner have 100 chipped breaks than 99 balls of dust  !

3/8ths doesn't chip them of you're on them (ABT with the right shells and they evaporate!) ... but the wider spread will help.

I'd even go to 1/4 & 1/2 for a beginner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to run a DTL layout and the club gun that was used for instruction was a Beretta 302 with the drop in multi chokes. We never had any chokes for it, making it true cylinder. I have seen it used by beginner's on DTL and clays were broken at ridiculous ranges.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know John Stafford and knew his late father, the great Jim Stafford. I messaged him to find out what chokes he used. 

John has a valued opinion, he was World DTL Champion in 2006. When he won in 2006, he used 1/2 and full

Nowadays he uses 1/4 and 1/2 in a Winchester Diamond grade, using steel shot or 1/4 and 3/4 if using lead.  He also uses 1/2 choke in his Remington 12.

Edited by Gordon R
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I know John Stafford and knew his late father, the great Jim Stafford. I messaged him to find out what chokes he used. 

John has a valued opinion, he was World DTL Champion in 2006. When he won in 2006, he used 1/2 and full

Nowadays he uses 1/4 and 1/2 in a Winchester Diamond grade, using steel shot or 1/4 and 3/4 if using lead.  He also uses 1/2 choke in his Winchester 12.

Winchester Diamond Grade. 🙂

I often put HP steel through mine many moons ago. Some nice trap examples still out there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I shot a lot...a huge amount of balltrap and DTL back in the 60s and 70s and my trap gun was choked full and full ...fixed chokes back then, so you had to live with them .

I think the advise given of a more open choke for your first barrel and maybe 3/4 or even full for the second would be a good idea.  Gun fit is just as important as well the gun must react like you pointed your finger,   Back then I shot reloads  7s for practise and Eley 'blues' 7s for comps.    With interchangeable chokes and wide selection of cartridges these days your all spoilt.

 

7 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

3/8ths doesn't chip them of you're on them (ABT with the right shells and they evaporate!) ... but the wider spread will help.

I'd even go to 1/4 & 1/2 for a beginner.

 

6 hours ago, Westley said:

I used to run a DTL layout and the club gun that was used for instruction was a Beretta 302 with the drop in multi chokes. We never had any chokes for it, making it true cylinder. I have seen it used by beginner's on DTL and clays were broken at ridiculous ranges.

 

6 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Half choke first barrel is more than enough. I also know plenty of AA DTL shhoters that shoot 3/8 or 1/4  and use no8 shot.

 

4 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I know John Stafford and knew his late father, the great Jim Stafford. I messaged him to find out what chokes he used. 

John has a valued opinion, he was World DTL Champion in 2006. When he won in 2006, he used 1/2 and full

Nowadays he uses 1/4 and 1/2 in a Winchester Diamond grade, using steel shot or 1/4 and 3/4 if using lead.  He also uses 1/2 choke in his Winchester 12.

 

39 minutes ago, Scully said:

Winchester Diamond Grade. 🙂

I often put HP steel through mine many moons ago. Some nice trap examples still out there. 

Cheers lads all good advice i put 1/2-3/4 in this morning out of 60 DTL  3 lines on my average score I shot 51 i was hitting them as best I could straight out of the trap I was using lynevale english 7 1/2s cartridges I’ve been smitten by the clay bug after years of Wildfowling What I have realised you don’t be too long going thru the cartridges 😊😊 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jim used a Remington 1100 and a Krieghoff - the only time I have heard of choke being put back into a barrel. I recall John using the same guns, but also his pump action model 12 Remington (not Winchester - senior moment).

I was surprised by his choice of the Diamond grade. I owned one and loved how it felt, but could never shoot well with it on sporting. I should have tried it on DTL They still look a better quality gun than most on sale today. I get tempted to buy another every time I see one for sale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...