Chokes for DTL

Gerry78

48 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Cheers lads all good advice i put 1/2-3/4 in this morning out of 60 DTL  3 lines on my average score I shot 51 i was hitting them as best I could straight out of the trap I was using lynevale english 7 1/2s cartridges I’ve been smitten by the clay bug after years of Wildfowling What I have realised you don’t be too long going thru the cartridges 😊😊 

As you’ve discovered, the good thing about shooting clays, is that there’s minimum prep needed. You just turn up and shoot. Yes, you soon get through LOTS of cartridges! 

43 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Jim used a Remington 1100 and a Krieghoff - the only time I have heard of choke being put back into a barrel. I recall John using the same guns, but also his pump action model 12 Remington (not Winchester - senior moment).

I was surprised by his choice of the Diamond grade. I owned one and loved how it felt, but could never shoot well with it on sporting. I should have tried it on DTL They still look a better quality gun than most on sale today. I get tempted to buy another every time I see one for sale.

My DG was the Sporter model.
I totally agree about the quality.
If I recall, the DG trap version has ported barrels, which makes it ( apart from the engraving ) identical, even down to the stepped rib, to the 8500. 
Personally I don’t believe anyone could go wrong with either models. 

I had a Remmy with the Cutts on and it did have slectable chokes but I used that predominatably for skeet.  Then they banned the Cutts because it apparently threw the sound sideways or something///PARDON!!  I purchased it from a family who's son inlaw had committed suicide with it. Got a lot of stick over that but why let a perfectly good shotgun be melted down just because ?

• 1 month later...
On 10/06/2022 at 21:21, Wylye said:

The top DTL shots tend to use three quarter and full. But then - they can shoot!

No they don’t. 1/2 and 5/8 or 1/2 and 3/4 is the norm. I find 1/2 is more than adequate for good first barrel breaks assuming you’re shooting the target where you should.

On 06/08/2022 at 05:29, Listy said:

No they don’t. 1/2 and 5/8 or 1/2 and 3/4 is the norm. I find 1/2 is more than adequate for good first barrel breaks assuming you’re shooting the target where you should.

Thanks Listy after my original post I changed to 3/4 Full my scores actually went down I’ve went back to 1/2 3/4 maybe it’s a mind block but my score has increased 

On 06/08/2022 at 05:29, Listy said:

You were a bit selective with your quote from my post Listy mate.

Theres a lot of knowledge and experience out there which we are lucky to be able to tap into.

20 hours ago, Wylye said:

You were a bit selective with your quote from my post Listy mate.

Theres a lot of knowledge and experience out there which we are lucky to be able to tap into.

I’m sure you’re correct. You probably know more about the discipline than me. I’d be interested to know which ‘top shots’ are using 3/4 and full choke for DTL as I’ve not seen it.

Edited by Listy

5 hours ago, Listy said:

I’m sure you’re correct. You probably know more about the discipline than me. I’d be interested to know which ‘top shots’ are using 3/4 and full choke for DTL as I’ve not seen it.

Those with fixed choked trap guns. Think about it, manufactures go 3/4 full as a norm. So if you buy a new  fixed choke trap gun thats what you ususlly get. They do the job and many shooters may leave them as they are. You cant put chole back into a gun ,only open them out and thats why they are made tight. Like the majority on this thread have said,people with multi choke guns who use 3/4   in bottom barrel are in the minority.

1 hour ago, TRINITY said:

Those with fixed choked trap guns. Think about it, manufactures go 3/4 full as a norm. So if you buy a new  fixed choke trap gun thats what you ususlly get. They do the job and many shooters may leave them as they are. You cant put chole back into a gun ,only open them out and thats why they are made tight. Like the majority on this thread have said,people with multi choke guns who use 3/4   in bottom barrel are in the minority.

Thank you very much for the information, most informative.

15 hours ago, Cawdor118 said:

I have shot 3/4 + 3/4 at sporting for years. Your either on them, or you aren't. I honestly think chokes are just something else to get hung up on. 

This is more or less how I see it really. I have my favourite chokes admittedly, but that doesn’t stop me using the trap guns I own on sporting layouts.
Had a fabulous day out at Coniston using a 3/4 and full trap gun on the grouse butt and sport-trap. 
I’ve used trap guns for decoying also. 

• 2 weeks later...