Any dachshund breeders on the forum

foxbasher

14 hours ago, foxbasher said:

Evening all. Just wondered if there's any dachshund breeders on the forum. I'm looking for some advice, etc. 

My wife has been nagging me for a while and want to get all in order before making any silly mistakes.

PM's welcome.

👍👍

There’s a bloke on Stalking Directory called Keith who has / runs a few wire hair Teckels, might be worth a chat depending on what you want to know.

Think he has a bitch pup for sale at the moment. 

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/teckel-wirehaired-dachshund-bitch-pup.238922/

Not a breeder, or really qualified to offer advice, but we have a standard dachshund and have been really lucky with her. Only comment I'd make from speaking to plenty of other owners, is the miniatures seem to have a lot more health issues, and often bladder issues too. Worth bearing in mind. They are super dogs.

We have a miniature as a pet. He's a lovely thing, the most affectionate and loving dog you could find. A perfect companion for the other half while I'm away shooting on those dark winter days but Jesus christ he likes the sound of his own voice. A common problem among daschunds apparently.

We also had one hell of a problem getting him to sleep downstairs during the nights, more so than any other dog ive had. He now sleeps in the bedroom with us... 

Other than that he's ok and I actually quite like him.

My daughter has a miniature and he is a great little chap. Used to pee himself with excitement when we went to see him but grown out of it. Loving, biddable but will bark if anyone comes to the door. Sleeps downstairs in his basket and just burrows in under his cover just nose poking out. She is a dog walker and he accompanies her with client dogs.

I have a wire-haired daschund / Teckel bitch, but assume you are referring to the smooth-haired pet type.  

She is the cutest, cuddliest pet yet an absolute guard dog, and hunting machine on scent.  She currently has 5 pups and is the most attentive mother we have ever had.

Freckle1.jpg

Edited by Mickeydredd

13 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

I am no expert but just throwing this in the hat. My son's girlfriend has a miniature and it has had health problems for most of its life and its only 4. Back, eyes and teeth are the things I remember. But he is a great dog, lots of fun and loves a cuddle. 

I'll add to that my cousin had a black and tan one, ear issues and never fully emptying the bladder leading to dribbles everywhere are commonplace with him. He also sits and bites his toenails which is one horrible bloody noise 

Does anyone work their badger dog? In the 500-1000 dachshunds I must have seen over the years almost every one was a PITA, however the one good one ‘Finchin’ belonged to a German forester (similar to gamekeeper/ghillie) and was the most beautiful and well behaved dog. I’m not sure I would ever fancy those odds but each to their own.