browning gold 10 vs 3.5 inch 12

freddie d

Hi All,

A question probably asked on here many times before, however I cant seem to find the thread.

Has anyone had any experience with the Browning Gold 10 bore? If so what do you reckon? Any issues with them jamming or faults etc?

Also would people think the 10 is superior to the 3.5inch chambered 12 bore? if so why?

Cheers!

I've a 10 bore it's been used once in the last 3 seasons I've also got 3.5 inch twelve but that hardly sees light of day either. My go to fowling gun is an old aya sxs it shoots 30gram steel loads over splashes just lovely or if I'm on the shore I put 36 gram steel through it but if im after geese I stick TSS up the spout and that will shoot further than any 10 bore or 3.5 12 bore with steel at the end of the day it's your choice. Another thing to consider with a 10 bore is sourcing shells so home loading something to look into

I used an old one for five years and only jammed when I tried to use RTO home loads. Now have a modern synthetic cammo version and it is fine with my home loaded steel shells. I also have other fowling guns and use a 3.5” Benelli earlier in the season with mammoth 42 gm loads, or if it is really blowing and I need something lighter to swing quickly. Last year though you could not get these cartridges so the ten was out more. Being honest there is little to choose between them as I only load 42gms in the ten anyway. If you have an itch you need to scratch it.

Both good choices and are excellent in the right hands, I have shot a browning 10 gold for six seasons and love it with very few jams.

Very helpful members on here can source shells if you ask nicely and to be honest it’s down to them that I can still shoot the 10 as they seem to be increasing difficult to get hold of. 

I'd say the 10 is superior to the 12 in terms of downrange performance; on average they will shoot a heavier payload downrange, and will typically pattern larger steel shot sizes better. Homeloading really opens up the potential of the 10 as well - not unheard of to obtain velocities in excess of 1700 fps, or payloads in excess of 50 grams. They are, however, much heavier than your average 12. This makes them a great choice for pass shooting geese, but less suitable for snap shooting on ducks. 

Edited by Smudger687

• 1 month later...

if you have a desire, then get it..... i have a 12 31/2 and so rarely even bother putting more than 3 inch into it.  steel is far better than it used to be (better than lead imho) however more and more are using 20's, 28's with TSS and really small shot.

Had 3 Gold 10s over hears and two  bps 10 too and two sp10 remys. The golds and BPSs were all reliable. The Sp10s were ok but one i did get unexplained jams with, in the early days of steel. I still have my Gold Light 10 and i think it would be the last shotgun i ever let go  if forced to sell. I would rather suffer the impracticality of the ten on anything other than geese or foreshore duck, rather than part with it.

I've got an original gold 10 with the steel reciver and wooden stock. 

They are brilliant guns on the day, the 10 certainly has the edge over a 3.5 12 gauge but its dependant on what your doing.

When I went out last year in a good strong wind I had no problem folding geese a good 15 yards beyond the range of the 12 bores. They seem to pattern better with bigger pellets aswell.

Personally mine has never jammed and eats anything I feed it