Are you keeping your gun boxes?

Shadowchaser

Beretta have started to supply their semi -autos (not sure about O/U and SxS) with cardboard boxes rather than a plastic carry case. 

Budget guns have been coming like this for years. Many have a moulded polystyrene inside which fits the gun and all the bits in. The Beretta box I have just received is all cardboard. 

This isn't a complaint - for the most part the cases sit in the loft until such time you come to trade the gun in.  

I was wondering if it's worth keeping the box (as I do the plastic cases) so that if or when I sell the gun it comes as it did originally. 

What are you folks doing? 

14 minutes ago, Shadowchaser said:

Beretta have started to supply their semi -autos (not sure about O/U and SxS) with cardboard boxes rather than a plastic carry case. 

Budget guns have been coming like this for years. Many have a moulded polystyrene inside which fits the gun and all the bits in. The Beretta box I have just received is all cardboard. 

This isn't a complaint - for the most part the cases sit in the loft until such time you come to trade the gun in.  

I was wondering if it's worth keeping the box (as I do the plastic cases) so that if or when I sell the gun it comes as it did originally. 

What are you folks doing? 

I bought a Yildiz 410 with packaging as you describe. I only kept the box in case the gun developed a fault and needed returning. The gun has been great so the box got binned after a couple of months. 

2 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I think it's a good idea if you have the room. I am guessing that the new Beretta unboxed card wrapped isn't cheaper than the same, hard plastic cased, new Beretta? Such is life. 

I think you may be right, ultimately it's a cost saving exercise by Beretta (supposedly greener too), but you still pay the same.  Apparently you can request a hard plastic case at extra cost. Reminds me of how chocolate bars are smaller than they used to be but cost more. 

I wonder if they'll start doing this with all their guns, even the higher value ones?

I'm going to keep the box as I do have the room for it and like the idea of it being presented to someone in the future with the original packaging*. To me that is a nice touch. 

*not that I intend to sell it for a long time if ever. 

The only brand new handgun I bought was the first one I bought, a S&W Model 19. It came in a cardboard box but wrapped in that gorgeous brown waxed paper stamped in a repeat pattern with the S&W logo. The smell was addictive! When I traded it in some years later I carefully wrapped it in that paper and placed it back in its box. A thing of beauty. 🙂

Takes me back many years ago, when a guy was taking the new gun he had just purchased down to the range to shoot it. The gun was in a polystyrene box which had a cardboard sleeve over it. The new gun was assembled and taken onto the skeet range. The first shot was an almighty bang and the muzzle resembled a peeled banana  !  There were 2 polystyrene plugs in the muzzle of each barrel from the box the gun came in. Moral of story, ALWAYS check barrels are clear prior to loading. 

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of cost cutting measures, I received my BASC renewal and card this week.  When I felt the envelope I thought they'd forgot to include the actual card. 

Turns out it's now a tear out paper card within the letter.  And speaking of cards the AA have told us to keep last years card as they won't be sending out new ones, just simply renewing your membership. I guess that makes sense as the member number is always the same.  

16 hours ago, Shadowchaser said:

I received my BASC renewal and card this week.  When I felt the envelope I thought they'd forgot to include the actual card. Turns out it's now a tear out paper card within the letter.

Same here, were you able to sign it using a ballpoint pen? I tried two that worked on paper but not on that thin plastic, resorted to using a fine Sharpie.

I too keep the ABS cases for my O/Us but do like a nice leather or canvas one for my side by sides, not that they are the original cases, just bought to suit.

Many years ago, a pal got a Charles Boswell BLE complete with original canvas and leather case as a 21st. birthday present. He decided he didn`t want the case and gave it to me. Silly really as it would have enhanced the value of the gun no end, but he was a bit of a spoilt brat, so I had no qualms in accepting it and swapped it years later for quite a very nice leather leg of mutton case which I still have and use on occasions.

OB

22 hours ago, Shadowchaser said:

Speaking of cost cutting measures, I received my BASC renewal and card this week.  When I felt the envelope I thought they'd forgot to include the actual card. 

Turns out it's now a tear out paper card within the letter.  And speaking of cards the AA have told us to keep last years card as they won't be sending out new ones, just simply renewing your membership. I guess that makes sense as the member number is always the same.  

I told the BASC I was not impressed with these cards about 3 months back when mine first turned up, they said they were getting better ones made and it was temporary, but temporary seems to be dragging on!!!!