Are you keeping your gun boxes?

Shadowchaser

10 hours ago, malmick said:

Same here, were you able to sign it using a ballpoint pen? I tried two that worked on paper but not on that thin plastic, resorted to using a fine Sharpie.

I did sign using a ballpoint but it turned out like those signatures you try to do on an electronic screen.  

Reminds me of my old man. Used to keep boxes for everything because he believed you couldn't return faulty items if you didn't have a box. Found boxes in his loft belonging to things like electric kettles which had long been broken and discarded.  I suppose consumer protection was weaker in those days (or maybe he was just a weirdo!). Cardboard gun boxes? Nice to keep if you plan to sell the gun or it's a special gun, but presumably it wouldn't come in a cardboard box! Otherwise, life is too short. Plastic boxes which come with guns are nice, but what a pain in the **** to break a gun down each time you want to put it away. Give me a full length slip.

8 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Reminds me of my old man. Used to keep boxes for everything because he believed you couldn't return faulty items if you didn't have a box. Found boxes in his loft belonging to things like electric kettles which had long been broken and discarded.  I suppose consumer protection was weaker in those days (or maybe he was just a weirdo!). Cardboard gun boxes? Nice to keep if you plan to sell the gun or it's a special gun, but presumably it wouldn't come in a cardboard box! Otherwise, life is too short. Plastic boxes which come with guns are nice, but what a pain in the **** to break a gun down each time you want to put it away. Give me a full length slip.

Until you wish to fly with your gun in the aircrafts hold!

20 hours ago, Houseplant said:

I use a gun slip when travelling with my gun.  The boxes live in the loft.  I understand what you mean about electrical goods.  My grandparents would keep boxes for items for months if not years.  I guess it was a generational thing. 

11 hours ago, Shadowchaser said:

I use a gun slip when travelling with my gun.  The boxes live in the loft.  I understand what you mean about electrical goods.  My grandparents would keep boxes for items for months if not years.  I guess it was a generational thing. 

You could be right, both my kids are in their fifties. I too have a small collection of various boxes and padded envelopes which have proved extremely handy when I have sold items on PW that required posting. All but 2 of my guns have hard cases of leather or plastic which are only used if I am travelling any distance or stopping over before or after a shoot.

22 hours ago, London Best said:

The plastic cases or more up-market leather cases are for protecting the gun whilst travelling. A gun slip is for transporting a gun in the field, not in a vehicle.

Well it would seem that I and most of the people I've ever seen at various clay grounds over the years are all in the wrong.  We should be using our cases and assembling / disassembling our guns every time we take the gun out in the car. 

Or most folk just do what is the easiest and most practical and pop the gun in a full length slip which is more than adequate to drive to the local ground in.   

8 minutes ago, Shadowchaser said:

Well it would seem that I and most of the people I've ever seen at various clay grounds over the years are all in the wrong.  We should be using our cases and assembling / disassembling our guns every time we take the gun out in the car. 

Or most folk just do what is the easiest and most practical and pop the gun in a full length slip which is more than adequate to drive to the local ground in.   

Until some idiot sits on it and breaks the stock, or throws something heavy on it and dents the barrels. 
Why do you think manufacturers provide solid cases?

46 minutes ago, London Best said:

Until some idiot sits on it and breaks the stock, or throws something heavy on it and dents the barrels. 

In the basis I’m the only one in my car that’s not going to happen

53 minutes ago, London Best said:

That could happen, but my gun goes in the boot and no one is going to throw anything heavy on it.