Ask a farmer

30-6

One farmer ceased all corvid control when the first announcement was made until I explained that it was still (and will continue to be) lawful to shoot crows to protect his livestock. This was at a time where his flock was being particularly hammered by crows.

What does puzzle me is the restriction of the control of carrion crows to 1st February- 31st August. They don't cease to become an issue to livestock farmers outside of those dates? And surely control of crows is most effective in the lead up to the lambing season where they do the most damage?

You cannot fathom the way NRW think.There is no scientific evidence on any of the new general licences and it is proof that the anti shooting Labour Welsh government are driving the decisions being taken by NRW.

The new licences will not be published until the  1st of July so not giving the shooting community chance to be conversant with them before they become law.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/06/2022 at 13:09, Poor Shot said:

What does puzzle me is the restriction of the control of carrion crows to 1st February- 31st August.

I have been advocating for years to get all 'shootable' species on a game season so that the general licences are only dealing with out of season shooting as I feared, GL's over time would become time restricted to when crows, pigeons etc are a risk and we wouldn't be able to shoot them the remainder of the year when a lot of "numbers" control is undertaken.

Looks like NRW is indeed following this line of thought and we might end all suffering from it as it spreads if we don't get pigeons, crows etc onto the game legislation asap.