How does it work ?

30-6

We all know the accuracy of a recoiling rifle off range bags, so letting the barrel do its own thing regarding harmonics. Same with a hand under the action on a fence post. So how come these super duper tripods where you clamp the gun are so popular, and supposedly super accurate ?

Weren't we all told gently gently is the correct way.

Good question but having introduced the  first to my knowledge bypod to our team of snipers then I believe that there is still sufficient 'give' to not interfer. I made my first by pod and attacyhed it to my service rifle for a practise shoot at Kingsbury Range and the result was so good our instructor thought I was cheating because by actually digging a small slot for the but to fit I could lay sideways and the rifle was purely free to do it's own thing. Happy 1970s days.  A fence post or rail is not going to give one little bit so even your rolled cap or glove will suffice. I had an American friend who clean missed a very nice falow buck by resting on a fence rail. He learned a hard leson that day.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Good question but having introduced the  first to my knowledge bypod to our team of snipers then I believe that there is still sufficient 'give' to not interfer. I made my first by pod and attacyhed it to my service rifle for a practise shoot at Kingsbury Range and the result was so good our instructor thought I was cheating because by actually digging a small slot for the but to fit I could lay sideways and the rifle was purely free to do it's own thing. Happy 1970s days.  A fence post or rail is not going to give one little bit so even your rolled cap or glove will suffice. I had an American friend who clean missed a very nice falow buck by resting on a fence rail. He learned a hard leson that day.

i never had a bipod ..i made one out of 3 hazel sticks ..one with a small catapult fork....i drilled a hole in each stick and threaded a loose shoelace thro it and in the fork i loose stretched a shoe toungue of leather to rest the rifle on...........used that for decades..

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

i never had a bipod ..i made one out of 3 hazel sticks ..one with a small catapult fork....i drilled a hole in each stick and threaded a loose shoelace thro it and in the fork i loose stretched a shoe toungue of leather to rest the rifle on...........used that for decades..

and it worked very well. Yep stalked with a single hazel stick for years and that also worked very well.

On 15/06/2022 at 18:51, Scully said:

My old Remington 700 BDL never had a mod’, but I always shot it off a bipod. It bounced so much on recoil I used to lose sight of the quarry, but it didn’t seem to effect it’s point of impact. 

I had a Brno zkk 601 that was the same. It was feather light and every time you pulled the trigger it tried to escape from you! It had a great set trigger though and was reasonably accurate for the cheap old beater that I bought it as. Having a bipod helped to tame it a little.