Speed Camera detectors

steve_b_wales

After recently completing a speed awareness course, (which I found very interesting and learned a lot) I am more aware of speed limits etc. However, I would like to fit a speed detector in my vehicle to help and remind me. There's a few out there, and I've been looking at the SAPHE Drive Mini which seems okay for the money. Has anyone got one of these or used one, and if so, is it okay? 

I have one and have used it in my van for 13 years. I got flashed twice in a month after starting this job. First time i got away with the course but second i had to take the points cos you cant do a second course within 2 years.

Cant remember the brand but mine sits on top of the dash about the size of a pack of ciggies, shows how fast i am going then when i do come across a camera it chimes then starts talking plus it shows the maximum speed limit for the road while counting down the yards to camera.

Yes its irritating, yes, its not discreet but like the annoying devil it sits on your shoulder when driving. 

I was told by a copper years ago that:

1. police forces can prosecute for 31 mph but don’t because of technical arguments over small variations which really are so small they shouldn’t be worried about 

2. the police only prosecute when speed is over +10% and +3 mph. So that’s 80 mph in a 70 mph motorway and 36 mph in a 30 mph.

Mind you, that was a conversation some decades ago and with the advent of speed awareness courses I’m sure the tolerance levels have dropped because I have heard of people getting nicked for 34 / 35 mph.

If someone on here could be so kind as to get a GPS speedo and go through a local speed trap at increments of 1 mph over the speed limit we can get this settled 😆

The point to all of this is with 20 mph zones we’re all in big trouble 😆

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

I accidentally found myself in a 20 zone the other day; and outside of 1st gear, you’re off to court 😆

Here in Bristol there are many 20 mph speed zones. When you enter a zone there are 20mph goal posts either side of the road, repeater signs on lamp posts along the road and 20 painted in white on the road. As was pointed out to me on my speed awareness course last year 😇 in such circumstances the excuse  “accidentally found myself” is unacceptable. My excuse was that I was getting used to a new car (had it two days) and was “ distracted”. The response was a knowing smile which said “ we’ve heard it all before”

We have had a load of 20mph limits put in round here with the rest of Wales to follow. I do, however, wonder on the validity of the signage they have used. From my (2) speed awareness course - the change in speed limit should be with signs either side of the road - however a lot only has the 20mph on one side?

Dreading it coming in further - the only way I can drive it being an auto is to use sports mode where if you use the paddles it will stay in paddle mode, in Drive it defaults back and can be chugging. I can't put the cruise control on below 25mph but I can then reduce it to 20mph. Leaving it on Drive and the car doesn't have do some wonderful things trying to deal with that speed and will more than likely spew out more pollution as well 😞

7 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Yes but it’s still a better system than the red flag @Walker570’s man used to carry out in front 🤣

I think if you live ling enough you might see that coming back the way our politicians work.

I believe that there needs to be two signs initially then repeaters. I have very distant memories of losing a speeding case when the drivers solicitor produced a photo of just one sign.  May have changed in the last 50yrs mind :yay:

In addition in my time lamp posts at 60yrd intewrvals (maybe out there) and it was 30moh.

21 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Makes me wonder about you guys, if you are prepared to speed you need to take the punishment.  Also how did yous get a shotgun/rifle ticket if you are prepared to flaunt the law.

If anyone says they never speed, they’re lying. The end. 

No one here is condoning 60 mph+ outside a school at 3 pm, but I think any of us could find ourselves going too fast in a 20 mph for example, given that the variation for a prosecution / going over 20 mph is probably the width of the speedo needle on the average dashboard.

And the link about speeding, ‘flaunting’ the law and holding an SGC (etc) just makes you look like a massive girl. Indeed, the winter nights must just fly past in your house 😆

I think the reason behind the ONE 20mph sign is to prevent the average Richard Head, adding the 2 signs together and thus reading 40  !

I live on a 20mph road and the average speed is 35/40mph. Only last month an RTC occurred at a T junction near my house. BOTH vehicles were write offs and one managed to continue through a garden wall. All of that at 20mph  ??

I would DOUBLE the number of speed cameras and certainly fit every traffic light with both speed and red light cameras. Not uncommon to witness up to 6 vehicles going through the red light at most junctions in Liverpool, in fact the red lights have become just a guide  !

If anyone says they never speed, they’re lying. The end. 

I am amazed by the number of people who claim that they don't speed. My wife is one of them. She never speeds, but keeps up with the speed of the traffic - all of whom are a couple of mile an hour over the limit.