Jump to content

Tyre Extinguishers


Bobba
 Share

Recommended Posts

This morning a friend went to drive to a business meeting. His car (parked on his drive) had two flat tyres. A note on his windscreen was from Tyre Extinguishers, a group whose aim is to make it impossible to own a huge polluting 4x4 in the worlds urban areas. The group believes SUVs have a disproportionate impact on the climate crisis. They have a website.

Once again a minority group forcing their views on others and taking action irrespective of the consequences.
 

Any other PW Member any experience of this lot?

Edited by Bobba
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite common around Bristol at the moment it seems. Ironically, the tyres then have to be pumped up again, consuming carbon (assuming an electric pump is used) and delaying and inconveniencing the car owner too.

Having said that, I have little time for big, thirsty 4x4s only used in cities, no need for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From their website.........................

We are The Tyre Extinguishers.

We are people from all walks of life with one aim: To make it impossible to own a huge polluting 4x4 in the world’s urban areas. We are defending ourselves against climate change, air pollution and unsafe drivers.

We do this with a simple tactic: Deflating the tyres of these massive, unnecessary vehicles, causing inconvenience for their owners.

Deflating tyres repeatedly and encouraging others to do the same will turn the minor inconvenience of a flat tyre into a giant obstacle for driving massive killer vehicles around our streets.

We’re taking this action because governments and politicians have failed to protect us from these huge vehicles. Everyone hates them, apart from the people who drive them.

We want to live in towns and cities with clean air and safe streets. Politely asking and protesting for these things has failed. It’s time for action. Join us.

We have no leader - anyone can take part, wherever you are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Protecting themselves from unsafe drivers by purposely making vehicles unsafe to drive?

Purposely deflating tyres on car at least a ******* dangerous and stupid act and at most an attempt to injure or kill people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

Quite common around Bristol at the moment it seems. Ironically, the tyres then have to be pumped up again, consuming carbon (assuming an electric pump is used) and delaying and inconveniencing the car owner too.

Having said that, I have little time for big, thirsty 4x4s only used in cities, no need for them.

Never knew that. I regularly park my Hilux in town, not sure it would count in the same bracket as a SUV for the purposes of this group. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Sounds like it's more of an overnight thing. I suppose they don't want to be caught in the act by a justifiably irate car owner.

But boy is there going to be some fun when someone does catch them.

All the doorbell cameras will be watched from now on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indeed, but I suspect, not in the way you’re inferring: all of the above groups know they can get away with protest that is outright criminal, the police & court system will actively encourage it, and the politicians will do stuff all about it (eg amend sentencing guidelines)

Meanwhile the anger & resentment of the electorate just builds & builds.

If the causes these groups claim to support were actually popular with the electorate, then parties that support them would be further ahead. They aren’t and don’t.

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Is it just another example of the disconnect between politicians and the electorate? Extinction rebellion, insulate Britain, black lives matter. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Indeed, but I suspect, not in the way you’re inferring: all of the above groups know they can get away with protest that is outright criminal, the police & court system will actively encourage it, and the politicians will do stuff all about it (eg amend sentencing guidelines)

Meanwhile the anger & resentment of the electorate just builds & builds.

If the causes these groups claim to support were actually popular with the electorate, then parties that support them would be further ahead. They aren’t and don’t.

 

Causes of protecting the environment, improving air quality, safety on the streets are policies that the vast majority would support though most would no doubt shy away from the methods that these groups are adopting. 

Unfortunately these policies are inevitable essential for our future survival fall into the too hard to deal with category. The category that requires joint working, cooperation, consensus politics and long term action are beyond our political system. So instead government will demonise migrants, blame the EU, the UNHCR, the ECHR and anyone else that dares to hold them to account so that criticism of our government inadequacies can be deflected.

Either side of our two party system is ill equipped to manage change. The change will come despite governments inability to lead it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

Causes of protecting the environment, improving air quality, safety on the streets are policies that the vast majority would support though most would no doubt shy away from the methods that these groups are adopting. 

Unfortunately these policies are inevitable essential for our future survival fall into the too hard to deal with category. The category that requires joint working, cooperation, consensus politics and long term action are beyond our political system. So instead government will demonise migrants, blame the EU, the UNHCR, the ECHR and anyone else that dares to hold them to account so that criticism of our government inadequacies can be deflected.

Either side of our two party system is ill equipped to manage change. The change will come despite governments inability to lead it.

 

How did you manage to turn idiots letting tyres down into another example of the two party system being at fault , 😄😄😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"We want to live in towns and cities with clean air and safe streets. Politely asking and protesting for these things has failed. It’s time for action. Join us."

 

translation- "we didnt get our way, so now were going to activley commit aggrivated tresspass, harrasment and criminal damage to people whos circumastances we have no idea of and who have no control over us getting our way and we encourage you to do the same."

cant prove who created the website, cant prove whos doing it, catch them in the act and risk major legal action if you deal with it, expect minor legal action if you let the law deal with it.......... the 2020s have proved to be a very scary, frustrating and confusing time so far. 

 

Edited by Sweet11-87
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, oowee said:

. The category that requires joint working, cooperation, consensus politics and long term action are beyond our political system.

Tell you pine for a social democracy, yet you've never lived in one, without telling me....  😂

 

2 hours ago, oowee said:

So instead government will demonise migrants, blame the EU, the UNHCR, the ECHR and anyone else that dares to hold them to account so that criticism of our government inadequacies can be deflected.

 

12 hours ago, Mice! said:

How did you manage to turn idiots letting tyres down into another example of the two party system being at fault , 😄😄😄

Quite; It could be a one-party state or a social democracy with permanent coalitions.  The allowed breakdown of law and order is simply not acceptable to a civilised society.

Happening in most western countries, regardless of the type of governance.

12 hours ago, oowee said:

Causes of protecting the environment, improving air quality, safety on the streets are policies that the vast majority would support though most would no doubt shy away from the methods that these groups are adopting. 

If these a-holes really wanted to do something about the above, they'd be better off letting the tyres down at the Bus Depot in Horfield!  Bristol city centre is choked by ancient, idling, stinking, empty buses that routinely flatten cyclists and pedestrians

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

If these a-holes really wanted to do something about the above, they'd be better off letting the tyres down at the Bus Depot in Horfield!  Bristol city centre is choked by ancient, idling, stinking, empty buses that routinely flatten cyclists and pedestrians

your right don’t you just love our towns 24hr traffic jam and plans to charge us if driving farther than your front door 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t explain how angry this makes me. I think I may have anger issues. 
As I get older I have less and less tolerance for these kind of people, who for some empty headed self imposed holier than thou issue, take it upon themselves to interfere in the lives of others. 
I genuinely hope they are caught in the act by an owner who has no qualms about giving them a good and justifiable kicking.
The fact they creep about at night doing this entirely illegal act, signifies exactly just how much courage and justification they really have. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, clangerman said:

your right don’t you just love our towns 24hr traffic jam and plans to charge us if driving farther than your front door 

The semi permanent gridlock found in most urban areas is quite often the fault of those in charge anyway.

Take Cardiff for example, a city chock full of uneeded bus lanes, traffic calming measures and many 100's of sets of traffic lights which seem to be timed purely to slow traffic. All the fault of the local highways planning dept. Don't even start on the city wide 20mph zones!

Many raging stiffies are being cradled by Cardiff Councillors over the thought of being able to bleed the motorist dry with congestion charges to enter the city.

We don't even have a functioning public transport system. I can't remember the last time I went into the city via train for an event where it didn't bypass at least one station due to overcrowding.

Edited by Poor Shot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently (according to Nextdoor) they were out last night, letting down the tyres of a couple of hybrid volvos - not exactly big petrol guzzling 4x4s. Also, apparently a TV crew was accompanying them, and the TV crew hung around after the event to interview the car owners next morning! Their report will be shown on channel 4 on Monday night, possibly...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...