First of the year

Walker570

41 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

First hummingbird moth seen today. A really large specimen must have been 2 inches (50mm) wingspan biefly dropped in on some floers took a sip and flew off into our neighbours garden.

We had our first last weekend. They're stunning creatures, particularly early on in the season

We get some cracking big moths visiting. My missus hates them, just gets freaked out by them for some reason.

I live not far from a butterfly house thing where they breed them, both my kids went to it on their nursery school trip and it was amazing to see moths/butterfly's bigger than your hand fluttering about.

4 hours ago, Rob85 said:

We get some cracking big moths visiting. My missus hates them, just gets freaked out by them for some reason.

I live not far from a butterfly house thing where they breed them, both my kids went to it on their nursery school trip and it was amazing to see moths/butterfly's bigger than your hand fluttering about.

Your missus might not be into it, but if your kids enjoyed the trip, might it be worth thinking about making a rudimentary moth trap and seeing what you can get overnight in the garden? Now's a great time if you're having the same hot weather we are in the south

2 hours ago, sandspider said:

Moth trap is a good idea, lots in our garden. Presumably some sort of light in a box, funnel underneath, with egg cartons stacked for the moths to crawl into should do it...

https://butterfly-conservation.org/in-your-area/east-scotland-branch/budget-bucket-moth-trap

Exactly so. They don't have to be glamorous, expensively made things. Big light, big box, some egg boxes as cover. Then a guide book/app to help with the ID afterwards