Why ???

Walker570

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All very interesting but most does not cover the situation I mentioned  max 55yrds in a concrete clad dairy farm with upwards of 250 very valuable pieces of beef walking about and with folk working almost 24/7 and bordered by public footpaths. I want something super accurate and safe and the 177 FAC at around 16 seems to fit the bill. Having owned a TX200 12ftlb I can attest to the accuracy and feel sure that one at 16 would be ideal. 

3 hours ago, London Best said:

And that is the answer. Except that CB’s will not feed from my BRNO magazine and have to be loaded singly, which is a bit of a faff.

Forgot to add they wouldnt feed through my annie either so i bought a single shot mag , problem solved 👍

45 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

All very interesting but most does not cover the situation I mentioned  max 55yrds in a concrete clad dairy farm with upwards of 250 very valuable pieces of beef walking about and with folk working almost 24/7 and bordered by public footpaths. I want something super accurate and safe and the 177 FAC at around 16 seems to fit the bill. Having owned a TX200 12ftlb I can attest to the accuracy and feel sure that one at 16 would be ideal. 

I feel although a tx200 could certainly  be pretty accurate  at 16 fpe (and would be the best springer option ) I feel it may  take a lot of effort  and consistency  to get the accuracy  required for a 55 yd shot  .

A pcp would certainly  be easier to achieve the accuracy .

Just my opinion  for what it's worth .

I head shot a few rabbits last year around the 60 - 70 yd Mark the longest being 72 yds .

Which I've often stated to be the max range for .177 fac pellets   both for accuracy and energy .

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, a 22 L/R and RWS low velocity ammo might help, they use these with cadet rifle ranges

Yes, but 22RFs have a very nasty habit of bouncing off things. I have had 17hmr do just that from hard combined fields.  This requirement is VERY specific.  I will shop around and see what is availble. The TX200 is a great rifle. I sold mine because I purchased a PCP but now see the potential of that rifle in FAC mode. It was scary accurate.

Heavy , yes but not a problem here because all my shooting is from purpose built cabins covering the area.

Edited by Walker570

16 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, but 22RFs have a very nasty habit of bouncing off things. I have had 17hmr do just that from hard combined fields.  This requirement is VERY specific.  I will shop around and see what is availble. The TX200 is a great rifle. I sold mine because I purchased a PCP but now see the potential of that rifle in FAC mode. It was scary accurate.

Heavy , yes but not a problem here because all my shooting is from purpose built cabins covering the area.

Hello, maybe so but for  all rifles a good back stop is always advised as I'm sure you know, looking at your proposed area of shooting and concrete floor it's not going to be  easy to use any rifle FAC or sub 12 , I shot lots of rats in the cattle barn to 25 yards but the farm put a few bales about where I place some grain in front so the pellets went into the bale, yours seems a bit more complicated so I hope you will find a solution, keep us posted 👍

Yes fully aware of dangers and even on the concrete there are places where a safe shot can be taken.  The FAC air just reduces that danger. When you've...which i am fairly certain you have...been out on August stubbles shooting rabbits with a lamp and heard that deadly whine as a 22RF goes on it's merry way even though the angle and everything seemed fine, you tend to take great care in all shot placements.   I have been in that yard this morning and shot a maggie and a couple of jackdaws with the 17hmr. They settled on the face of the 100 tons of straw muck which was a big mistake. All of my shooting there is from purpose built elevated cabins giving a good view of the whole area.   I could use the 17hmr at all times but it really is a bit of overkill and noisy even moderated, in between the buildings.

Hi nev .I've just been shooting my .177 bsa lightening  down the farm thought I'd try it see how accurate  it can be at 30 ,40,50 and 60 yds .

Just to add some springer context to this thread .so with airarms express 7.9s running around 11 fpe  shooting off my van bonnet standing (not ideal ) at 30 yds zero it put in a sub 12mm group .

At 40 yds it did a nice 3/4 inch group .

And at 50 yds I shot 2 x   1 inch groups and probably  a 1.25 inch  group .

At 60 yds it was around 2 inches plus and not what you would use as a hunting shot .

So again sub 12 .177 maxes out at 50 yds ( been said and proved so many times ) .

But this is a break barrelled  bsa  shot on 8x mag off a wing mirror .

Could this result be bettered with a tx 200 fac .I really can't see why not .and your only looking for an extra 5 yds over my bsa's max range today .

Hope this helps .

Took the bsa springer back down the farm .as I rolled in the yard a woody was raiding the grain bins again . So from same standing leaning on my van I guessed him at around 50 yds . Took the shot aiming for the wing fold .. hit him hard, he jumped and dropped .but was clearly not 100 %down , a quick follow up shot to the same location and he stopped  still .

On retrieval  the pellets had gone exactly when I aimed at a paced 54 yds  .

Dead bird .

So for nev .springer kills pigeon at 54 yds  .

the retained energy was around 6 fpe 

A least 1  pellet passed right through  the chest . It was a spot on h/l shot but didn't drop him instantly  a fac .177 with exacts would have delivered  9 fpe to the bird (50% more energy ) 

Which is significant  and would probably dispatched  him a bit cleaner. 

Hope this helps. 

Stu .

Yes, a great help.  I am convinved that is the way to go for me. I sat in one of my purpose built cabins this afternoon and needed the 17hmr to handle the ones which where safe to shoot and it was noisy.  I assume a 177 FAC would not have the ZING and ECHO that a 17hmr does.  One shot and then a wait for 30 mins for all to settle before another target dares to enter the fray.  Quieter would be better.   I do appreciate all the input but have become used to this from this forum.  Top hole.

There is no significant  sound difference  between a fac .177 and a sub12 .

Just use a decent silencer and it will be fine .I use a bsa vc .mod on my .177 and a hw  on my .22 . No extra mod on the .25 cal 

Yeah a long barreled. 22 sub 12 is touch quieter but you won't  (or  any birds won't) be able to hear the difference past 20 yds .

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have a 177 Boxer. Would it be feasible to upgrade that to FAC ?  Legally of course.  When I put in my application for variation I could stipulate that.

Is it accurate at 35-40 metres? Not much point upgrading a rifle that's not spot on to start with.

34 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

It shoots very well and is already powerful enough to exit chest shots at 15 yrds

Thanks will look them up.

Yes it is walker .but its best to have a rfd or gun tuner to do it .rather than your self .

But as mice said first be happy that  it has the accuracy at 50 yds and with which pellet.  You will find that it's fave pellet won't change just because  you have increased the energy .

You can expect to reduce your shot count by 50% going from 11 fpe to 16 fpe .

So say 100 shots down to 50 .

Hi Walker 570 if your gun is a Gamo boxer you could look on USA website for (boxer urban ) review, it’s the the higher power version. A gunsmith should be able to adjust the power, it’s just a screw, the cost could be the paperwork. You could put a hide closer, or bring the birds closer. I have permanent hides around dairy farm I also use a 177 air gun. 

1 hour ago, Gas seal said:

Hi Walker 570 if your gun is a Gamo boxer you could look on USA website for (boxer urban ) review, it’s the the higher power version. A gunsmith should be able to adjust the power, it’s just a screw, the cost could be the paperwork. You could put a hide closer, or bring the birds closer. I have permanent hides around dairy farm I also use a 177 air gun. 

Yes I have permanent elevated box hides as well but they have to be where they will not impede what moves in the yard. Both give me safe opportunities from 10yrds to 70yrds.

The one silage pit presently being used is now at around 50yrds and will come closer as they use it, but maggies like to sit a few moments they think they are out of reach before coming in.

The rifle in question did not cost me a fortune so if possible it is worth seeing if it could be uprated.

Hi Ultrastu yes there is more involved modifying an air gun. I think the cost would be in the paperwork and if needed the cost of the carrier . I use a mmc bsa ultra 177 a couple of years ago l fitted a regulator to it . I found no difference to the gun but it was a good  experience fitting  it. I have never used a higher power air gun l will use different 22 rim fire rounds. I shoot around dairy farm and shooting at concrete isn’t good.  Most of the birds will perch on the fence posts next to the farm buildings before flying in to the sheds. I will wait until a number of birds are around before I shoot one of the post. It’s the thud when the bird is hit that frightens them more than the report of the gun.I find it’s the the best way to keep them away for a few days .